MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Migizi Trail
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themuts wrote:
Fargnot, Mr. Mut said he doesn't need the free tour, but he'd sure take you up on the free lunch. Wink

I think there should be an event based on this.

Event Cache Icon "Free lunch" by Fargnot
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reads like a tourism brochure. Can't wait to visit the area. Mmmmmmm free lunch, what about Brewskis ? Sounds like a good idea and it promotes an area that many may never visit otherwise. See you Mid May, Will attend said fictitious event.
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, many may not see that this can be and is the best place to promote a good cache. Be it Minnesota or elsewhere but primarily Mn. IF and only if, the top members are onboard. There are supper cachers in Duluth, and From Ely to Hibbing, International Falls to Bemidji ( Icluding Black Duck. Loved that place) Grand Rapids, Moose lake to Brainerd that have that oh so neat cache. So ? lets get them out there, on the Migizi, Why not? . These are the places that, as Canucks we go, just because of the variety. Multiply this by how many others that want to see unique hides. This can all be applied on the migizi. Guess what ? If it was not for the promotion of this area by Hipster, who is from ND. We would not have spent our $ in the area. 4 days and 3 nights in the area means alot to a local economy. We enjoyed every minute of it. 90 caches, and could have been alot more. But we shop, we sight see, and enjoy another spot in Gods Country, which whether Canadian or American is " THE NORTH.

The nice thing about it was caching and Knowing the trail also brought out cachers Like Aix sponsa, and Jicknarson. Hmmm more local $ because of geocaching. Build it. They will come. So build it. I want to return. I really do. Thanks for the fun.
themuts
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunter-Killer: So glad that the MiGiZi lived up to your expectations. It really is a beautiful place. It was fun to read your logs and the logs of those trailing behind you. I think as time goes on and the word gets out, more will come and check it out. Maybe next time you visit you could place a cache of your own.

FYI: The forest service campground on the south side of the lake is now open (until Labor Day). We love to camp there. There are only 25 sites--half of which are lake side. It doesn't have electricity or running water, but it's a nice peaceful place to camp. The MiGiZi runs right by it. If you need electricity, Norway Beach on the east side of Cass Lake is the place to camp. There is a short bike trail from Norway Beach that connects to the MiGiZi.

The pipeline crews were hard at work this weekend (even on Memorial Day) on the north side of the lake. It probably won't be long before the rest of the bike trail is repaired and you will once again be able to bike around the entire lake.

Speaking of bike trails, they just completed the bike trail from Guthrie to Walker, so if you're an avid biker looking for someplace new to try, the trail is now paved all the way from Walker up to Lake Bemidji State Park. There aren't any caches on it yet (that I know of), but I'm sure they will begin to pop up sooner than later.

One more thing, there is a large black bear that has been hanging around the east side of Pike Bay. He's been seen on the bike trail as well as near the cabins on the lake. I don't think it's anything to keep you away, but if you were biking around a corner on the trail and he was standing in your path, it might be good to be on the look out. We were biking all over this weekend with the kids and thankfully we never ran into him. Just thought I'd give you a heads up.
themuts
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike trail on the north side of the lake has been finished--it's been tore up since last summer due to the pipline. Now only if this rain would quit...
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear about the trail opening up. We were at a local walk Northern Hearts Walk With Doc and had the opportunity to walk with a couple and we talked about Northern Minnesota and they brought up the Migizi trail!!! We were floored as we were just there. They are Not geocachers, but hike the area. What a coincidence. We explained geoaching to them and the numerous caches on the Migizi. They seemed interested, but Holy crow!!!! They knew about this excellent paved trail system amongst the huge pines. Heaven on Earth. And here we thought we were unique and only geocachers would know every inch of this trail system. There ya go. Beautiful place. So come on Mn. Cachers, check it out, enjoy, and get a few out there. I hope to see some finds from the Duluth Gang soon. They would enjoy the flat terrain. Something different.
Team MN Moose
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a place to rent a bike? I plan to be at a Family Reunion in Bena and it seems like this would be an excellent place to pick up a couple geocaches.. Exactly how long is the paved trail? How many trail heads are there??
MM
uffda320
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While a bike is an enjoyable way of moving between caches, you can also drive to all of them. Of course, you'll have to park and walk in, but most are a very short walk from the various roads throughout the Pike Bay area.
Team MN Moose
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome thanks Uffda! I will keep that in mind provided that there are plenty of parking around various places I assume.
The Hipster
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team MN Moose wrote:
awesome thanks Uffda! I will keep that in mind provided that there are plenty of parking around various places I assume.
We are talking a very slightly used forest road that goes down the east side of Pike Bay from Hwy 2 & becomes just more slightly used as it goes across the south past the Pike Bay campground & on to Hwy 371. The MiGiZi bike trail winds back & forth over the same route; crossing the forest road several times.

Most of the caches have been placed by folks on foot, after parking their caching mobiles at one of the sections where the MiGiZi Trail & forest roads cross. I've placed the majority of mine while riding my recumbent bikes & trikes. I like to park at Norway Beach on Cass Lake, near the boat ramp/swimming area/picnic area/visitor's center & bike my way south past the Pike Bay campground & back (or reverse order). So far the cache concentration is between the SW corner of Pike bay on around & 1/2 way up the east side of Pike Bay. There are a few north of Hwy 2 on into Norway Beach.

Finding someplace to park will not be a problem. Just be sure to pull to the side far enough to allow someone to pass & please don't block the bike path. You'll see what we mean once you are on the ground in this gorgeous area. There are also many old side paths & roads off the Pike Bay loop where one may park out of the way.

Have fun! BTW: When are you planning on going there? I'll be at my cabin on Cass Lake much of July/Aug/Sept/Oct (including the 4th of July weekend). PM me for contact info if you'd like. I'd be glad to be a local geocaching guide for your hunt or at least meet up to say hello. (With enough advance warning I could even provide some fairly normal bikes if you wish or recumbent bikes/trikes if you are adventurous. I have a fleet!) Grin

PS. You asked about the length of the MiGiZi. That all depends. Norway Beach on Cass Lake to the SE corner of Pike Bay is about 9 miles. You can do a loop completely around of about 17 miles.

You can ride down to Walker (about 25 miles). From Walker you can ride NNW to the NE edge of Lake Bemidji & on into Bemidji State Park on the newest section of the Paul Bunyan. From Walker you can ride basically west to Park Rapids on the Heartland. From Walker you can ride south to nearly Brainerd on the older section of the Paul Bunyan. (172 miles of connecting paved bike trails) Here are some good links:
http://mntrails.com/#
http://www.exploreminnesota.com/northwest-bike-trails-take-you-into-the-north-woods
http://www.minnesotamonthly.com/media/Minnesota-Monthly/Travel-Leisure/Traveler-Resources/Minnesota-Biking-2007-2008/Bike-Trails/North-CentralWest-Minnesota-Bike-Trails/
If on this last link you pick "View this route in 3D (Google Earth)" & have Google Earth loaded on your computer & have Geocaching Google Earth Viewer enabled - you will see all the MiGiZi caches popup on the map.
http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/mn/cass-lake/651127626463928576
uffda320
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay..I'm a little late coming to the game. I FINALLY placed a cache on the Migizi. Of course, as soon as I place the cache and it's published, we get a torrential downpour. Seems like that's happened to the last two caches I've placed. LOL

Anyways, I think you'll get a kick out of my contribution to the trail. Many thanks to Ladyandthetramp for their awesome idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: