MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help me?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
seeingitdifferent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Oh Yes Reply with quote

Well I am a relative newcomer to this as well. I would take the advise of Ruderat. He really isn't so Rude... Same thing happened to me. I work with a cacher that is a little active and she explained it to me. I went on a couple of quick lunchtime grabs. I then decided to get my own GPS. Bad idea. Once I figured out the loading of the caches etc. The trouble began. I started deciding that I wanted to hunt coins, then it turned into I couldn't have anything near my home unfound. Then it turned into I wanted to chase numbers and then the puzzles and then the icons and on and on it goes. Get out now. I had to figure out the painful way when bee season was. No poison ivy yet. I am sure that is coming next year. Run, Run.... Truthfully, my wife is not an out door person so I had to sell it to her as my cardio routine. It is working for now but seriously all above are right. This is truely addicting! I am traveling to Chicago for business and have already planned my Geocaching route including O'Hare airport. I'll say it I am sick and loving this! Good Luck on your decision on staying or running for your life.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:
At 24 finds, I say get out now while you still can. That initial high youíre feeling will soon turn into months of scratching and calamine lotion as you treat your poison ivy, not to mention the frost bitten nose as you trudge across a frozen lake to dig in the snow for a cache you couldnít reach in the summer months. The bee stings alone should have you running to a safer sport. You canít imagine the gut wrenching feeling we all have when the game is tied with 4 minutes on the clock and you have to miss the end because Surfer Joe published a new cache 2.8 miles away. Why subject yourself to the looks from your friends and coworkers as you try to explain it to them. My advice is to run, and run fast. Itís too late for us, but there is still hope for you if you can find the strength to just say no!

Don't listen to him. Rat is just trying to keep you from being an FTF hound and stealing them away from him Laughing
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh Yes Reply with quote

seeingitdifferent wrote:
Truthfully, my wife is not an out door person

That is why I am single. She would never go outside...
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timewellspent wrote:
Don't listen to him. Rat is just trying to keep you from being an FTF hound and stealing them away from him Laughing

Another good point. Why would you want to associate with a bunch of cutthroats like us who will only sit back and laugh as you try to be the first to find one of our caches? Youíd do best to seek out a nice chess club while your wife takes needle point classes. Donít spend your money on a GPSr that will only aggravate you, spend it on nice touch screen phones for the kids so they can sit home and text with their friends. Donít be that guy in the bushes with a flashlight when the police arrive on scene. Theyíll only laugh at you too. Donít you realize that itís only a matter of time before youíll be standing at a busy intersection holding your GPSr to your ear like a phone trying not to draw attention to yourself as you contort your body in unnatural positions trying to find something so evil that it only frustrates you more when you find it?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh Yes Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
seeingitdifferent wrote:

After 20 years, I wouldn't unload the wife because she didn't want a cache. I see it as a means of escaping. Wink
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh Yes Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Jam3s wrote:
seeingitdifferent wrote:

After 20 years, I wouldn't unload the wife because she didn't want a cache. I see it as a means of escaping. Wink

She would not have let me cache saying it was a waste (couch potato)....
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh Yes Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:

My money is on a different reason. Wink Laughing Razz
quatch27
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well RudeRat I don't have a FTF yet....and it may be a while before I can really start challenging you for that prize. Personally I don't mind a game of Chess every now and then, the wife has tried needle point and she doesn't really care for it. So there goes that argument. And right now I don't need to pretend to be holding a phone, because it is a phone. So when I am out at that busy intersection I will just be some crazy guy on a cell phone standing on his head. As for texting, the girls are little too young to have cell phones, and when they get old enough for them we are going to have good discussion about that. (GameBoy's....that's a different story Very Happy )
So I think that takes care of it.....your stuck with me. Laughing
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quatch27 wrote:
Well RudeRat I don't have a FTF yet....and it may be a while before I can really start challenging you for that prize. Personally I don't mind a game of Chess every now and then, the wife has tried needle point and she doesn't really care for it. So there goes that argument. And right now I don't need to pretend to be holding a phone, because it is a phone. So when I am out at that busy intersection I will just be some crazy guy on a cell phone standing on his head. As for texting, the girls are little too young to have cell phones, and when they get old enough for them we are going to have good discussion about that. (GameBoy's....that's a different story Very Happy )

Know that there will be no 12 step program to bring you back once you fall into the abyss. Your map will soon be filled with smiles where green and yellow icons of the past once existed. Only blue question marks will remain to taunt you as you drive further and further away to get your fix. A pill bottle here, an ammo can there. Soon youíll be eating peanut butter and altoids like a kid searching for the prize in a box of Cracker Jacks. You will never be able to walk in the woods again without wandering over to check out an innocent tree, or cross a bridge with out running your hand under the rail hoping for a little something with a log book in it. Letterboxes, NavicacheÖyou wonít care, youíll sign them all. But the maps, they are the killers. It starts close to home as you try to cache out your neighborhood, but soon youíll be chasing states as though each has itís own flavor for you to try. Youíll even find yourself heading to places like Davenport Iowa, or Southern Bowl, Brazil. And for what? To pick up an icon just because it was there. Be strong, be wise, be normal and run away and never look back. You have asked for help, and help I will, but you must choose the path.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quatch27 wrote:

I've got 126 FTFs and they're all for sale if you're interested. Let me know and I'll post them in the For Sale topic.
quatch27
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never cared for peanut butter sandwiches...maybe I'll pack some SPAM and bread instead. The path I have chosen is also guided by the GPS and it continues to point me toward these hidden treasures. So I will continue to follow it and see what adventures await me.

And just another bit of news: I have been labeled a "geocheater" by the wife. She didn't know that I had been doing some caching over my lunch until she read my post. Embarassed DOH!
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quatch27 wrote:
Never cared for peanut butter sandwiches...maybe I'll pack some SPAM and bread instead. The path I have chosen is also guided by the GPS and it continues to point me toward these hidden treasures. So I will continue to follow it and see what adventures await me.

And just another bit of news: I have been labeled a "geocheater" by the wife. She didn't know that I had been doing some caching over my lunch until she read my post. Embarassed DOH!

You can't use a SPAM container or a bread bag to hide a cache, you silly, silly man!
quatch27
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
quatch27 wrote:

I've got 126 FTFs and they're all for sale if you're interested. Let me know and I'll post them in the For Sale topic.

I appreciate the offer...but I don't think RudeRat would like me buying my way in. No I will earn my FTF's with mosquito bites, frost bitten nose, and strange looks...just like everyone else.

Red_Devil35 wrote:
quatch27 wrote:

You can't use a SPAM container or a bread bag to hide a cache, you silly, silly man!

I haven't hidden any caches yet...but do I hear that as a challenge? Smile
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Devil35 wrote:

He is in a heightened state of confusion as he seeks out what can and can not be used as a cache. As long as he can not see the jar through the peanut butter, there is still hope for him. But I do think weíre loosing him. I have not seen a case like this one since divercth. We need to act fast while there is still a chance.

quatch27, trust me when I say that the arrow lies. You believe it points you to happiness and treasures, but soon it will turn on you and send you into swamps, up a tree, or have you performing a drunken bee dance for all to see. The arrow is cruel and can not be trusted. It does not point you where you need to go.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:
The arrow is cruel and can not be trusted. It does not point you where you need to go.

You must be using one of those crappy Oregons Laughing Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Twin Cities Metro Area All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: