MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

confluence project

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: confluence project Reply with quote

Anybody familiar with this, you try to visit intersections of lat and long lines www.confluence.org. (eg 44 00.000, 93 00.000) Saw article in Portland Monthly.

Seems like an invitation for epic trespassing to me but potentially fun. Just wondering if anyone in MN had explored the possibilities . . . .
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of it but never tried it. Kinda like finding a benchmark. What's the point?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=287ebec0-6823-4287-850a-b06be2114d3f

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c6c91efb-89c4-48bf-be70-aac6150b2ce5
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Explored via a couple of KB challenges, however because of the "potential tresspass" issues the challenges were set up to have a distance range from the actual confluence.

Supposed you could ask permission for access to be able to get to the coords.
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least one Minnesota confluence is on public property: http://coord.info/GC17F3E . I visited that cache last year, and it's well worth visiting, even beyond the fact that you're at a confluence. Plus, it now qualifies as a lonely cache.
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="GeoPierce"]I've heard of it but never tried it. Kinda like finding a benchmark. What's the point?

What's the point of finding tupperware in the woods? What's the point of hitting a ball towards a hole, walking towards it, and then hitting it again? What's the point in attempting to advance a pigskin spheroid ten yards forward given four tries? Every time I'm about to be snarky about somebody's hobby, I remember that I've found 3,000 pieces of tupperware in the woods.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkyfry wrote:
What's the point of finding tupperware in the woods? What's the point of hitting a ball towards a hole, walking towards it, and then hitting it again? What's the point in attempting to advance a pigskin spheroid ten yards forward given four tries? Every time I'm about to be snarky about somebody's hobby, I remember that I've found 3,000 pieces of tupperware in the woods.

Good point. I'm sincerely sorry if I've offended anyone who likes to visit confluence points. Smile
A-body
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've known about this project for about 4 years. Some friends of mine went up to Canada, and bushwacked about 3 miles thru the woods to be the first to log a find on one. The goal is to have someone find every one that is on land, then register that you have found it. Most are already logged by someone. This is the only one I have visited. GC1HYEM It's close
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: