MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Units for Volunteer Purposes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: GPS Units for Volunteer Purposes Reply with quote

I think that after reading the information of people seeking units (including myself previously) in the forums that maybe this should be a separate topic so that others are able to find GPS units to borrow.

I have seen units borrowed from the State Parks (although this was a DNR / County Park event if that makes a difference) and then also 4H.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS Units for Volunteer Purposes Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
I think that after reading the information of people seeking units (including myself previously) in the forums that maybe this should be a separate topic so that others are able to find GPS units to borrow.

I have seen units borrowed from the State Parks (although this was a DNR / County Park event if that makes a difference) and then also 4H.

From my experience the State park units can only be used in the parks unless it is a DNR function. Even at that the DNR folks have to have a relationship with the park people. (It is all about who you know)

If you can get the classes moved to a park that would be the way to go.
I have had Boy Scout training classes at William O'Brien with 8 temp caches that I set up with the park naturalist. We keep those out most of the year.
We also have 18 units to use.

If anyone needs help with working with the State Parks let me know.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS Units for Volunteer Purposes Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
Jam3s wrote:

From my experience the State park units can only be used in the parks unless it is a DNR function. Even at that the DNR folks have to have a relationship with the park people. (It is all about who you know)

I have had Boy Scout training classes at William O'Brien with 8 temp caches that I set up with the park naturalist. We keep those out most of the year.

We can't move the event, that is pretty much set in stone!
When you say you have 18 units to use, does that mean we can borrow them? Very Happy
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS Units for Volunteer Purposes Reply with quote

Red_Devil35 wrote:
andrewmcc wrote:
Jam3s wrote:

We can't move the event, that is pretty much set in stone!
When you say you have 18 units to use, does that mean we can borrow them? Very Happy

Sorry, I mean the state park has 18. I run their geocaching program so I feel like a partner with them.
MrRogersNghbor
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any answers on where I could find units to borrow? I may be teaching a group of 4-Her's about geocaching in May.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrRogersNghbor wrote:
Any answers on where I could find units to borrow? I may be teaching a group of 4-Her's about geocaching in May.

The 4H has units the group should be able to borrow.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrRogersNghbor wrote:

Check with you local Regional Extension Office. Most around the state are stored at Regional Offices...but, not all Regional Offices have units...

I know, about a clear as mud...but, if you are familiar with 4-H, I assume you know your nearest Regional Office. If not, let me know the County and I can help you get into contact with a U of MN Extension Regional Office.
tesser
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramsey County Library has 10 GPS units for classes, but they cannot be used outside of library events. However, the White Bear Lake branch has two Garmin Oregons that may be checked out for 1 week at a time. One unit per person.

The City of Maplewood has GPSs for checkout. Check with the Parks Department.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: