MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Something strange

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dionesiamn
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Something strange Reply with quote

We found something strange today, while caching. In a cache we found a little figurine of a sea captain and a Hot wheels nascar in the same bag as the log. There weren't any dogtags on them so we thought they were just swag. We left the car, but traded the little captain for some of our own swag. (We like seafaring things.) Anyway, when we went to log the cache, I noticed there were two TBs listed for this cache. One of them was named Captain Jack and the other was listed as a race car. A lightbulb went on and sure enough, there is a picture of the sea captain figurine with a dog tag attached on its TB page. It was placed in the cache on 7-17 and no one had mentioned it in subsequent logs. Then I checked the car's TB page and although it didn't have a picture of it the description is that car. The car TB was placed there in March '09, but not mentioned again. There have been other TB activity since then in this cache but this one has obviously was overlooked as swag, just as we thought.

Is there any value in someone just taking the dogtags? I know whole TBs go missing (the fate of my own Sad ) but we can't figure this out. If this is just a case of the dogtags getting lost along the way, what are the chances that it happened twice at the same cache 4 months apart? And to boot, you can't log the find unless you have the dogtag, so the dogtags had to have gone missing from this very cache.

We've contacted the owners of both TBs, but haven't heard back yet. Can someone explain this mystery to us?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: