MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minneapolis Parks and Recreation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devthor
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Minneapolis Parks and Recreation Reply with quote

I am wondering what the policy is for the Minneapolis Parks and Recreation board on geocaching. At the beginning of the year I was looking into placing a cache on land that was under their control and got this response:

(sorry for the late posting of this I didn't know the MNGCA was here at the time, then forgot about the e-mail).

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 2:13 PM
Subject: Sorry, no geocaching....
To: -------

Hi, ----:

In response to your e-mail, the Minneapolis Park and Recreation
Board does not allow any geocaching anywhere on our properties.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Iris Pahlberg Peterson
Customer Service Department
Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board
612-230-6400

--- End forwarded message ---

Any thoughts on this? It doesn't seem quite right since I know that almost every park in Minneapolis has at least one geocache in it. Is this an official policy or a service rep who does not know what he is talking about?

Devthor
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I laughed out loud.. that's a good one. If there is a published policy they sure haven't done their homework. WOW.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MnGCA has met with the Minneapolis Parks and Rec within this year. They do not have an official stance. Whoever you talked with hasn't done their homework. The correct response that they should have given is that they don't have a permit application. They do not strictly forbid it, nor do they officially recognize it.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:
The MnGCA has met with the Minneapolis Parks and Rec within this year. They do not have an official stance. Whoever you talked with hasn't done their homework. The correct response that they should have given is that they don't have a permit application. They do not strictly forbid it, nor do they officially recognize it.

Code:

> From: noreply@geocaching.com
> To: kingboreas@wtf.com
> Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 13:39:37 -0700
> Subject: [GEO] Devthor contacting King Boreas from Geocaching.com
>
> OBG: Bird Dog (GC1WG65)
>
> I was wondering if you had tracked down who owns the land in the dog park at Minnehaha. I had a few locations scouted out for caches in the dog park, but could not get a straight answer from Minneapolis as to whether I could get permission to place one. The final word I figured out was that Minneapolis owns the dog park, and they don't allow cache placement.
>
~ snip ~
>
> Any ideas on this? If we are allowed to place in the dog park, I'd love to put more here.
>
> Thank you,

RE: [GEO] Devthor contacting King Boreas from Geocaching.com‏
Sent: Wed 8/05/09 3:43 PM

You have to be careful to avoid the State Park. The rest is a Minneapolis Dog Park. Minneapolis Park and Rec is aware of geocaching, and after a meeting a year or two ago, no decision was made to require registration.

There's no need to contact anyone, at this point anyway.

Devthor
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all. I just wanted to verify all the information before I went ahead and placed one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: