MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geocache Navigator

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Geocache Navigator Reply with quote

Anyone run Geocache Navigator?

http://www.geocachenavigator.com/

What are the advantages over a mobile web browsing environment?

I see they charge about $6/month for the service, but I don't see the advantages.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use it myself, but the only advantages that I know if based on what I've read or heard from others is that you always have the cache info and you never have to load anything to a gps. You just fire up the app and it queries GC and shows the nearest caches. I've heard the GPS though isn't very accurate. I've heard as bad as +-150ft, which is fine if you are just using it for road navigation, but terrible for geocaching.

For my money, I spent the $8 (one time and not monthly) and I use cachemate for my smart phone. If I had a gps enable smart phone it will do a lot of what navigator will do. The main difference is I have to load the caches into my phone, which is easy to do with GSAK. I have the logs/hints/full descriptions with me at all times. If the cache is in my gps, then it's in my phone.
seamusbleu
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Geocache Navigator on my N95. It was something I was able to get, and use, for free up now. It really has been a kind of "killer app". I still use a dedicated GPS most of the time, but not one of the new-fangled ones that can store all the logs and everything - just the coordinates.

If I'm struggling while searching for a cache, I can call up that cache on my phone and get the description, hints and logs. They come through much faster and easier than if I tried to do the same thing through the phone's browser.

Sometimes I'll find myself without the dedicated GPS, or outside an area that I've loaded onto my GPS. In that case, I'll use GN directly to do the search. While the phone has GPS capabilities, it isn't very good and takes a long time to lock. Instead, I use a small bluetooth GPS that works very well.

Just recently, I fired up GN and it says it will be cancelling the free version, and that I need to buy an upgrade. For me it's worth it. They added the ability to stored downloaded caches with this version, so that's a nice feature.

Looks like I'm the only one using it around here:).
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seamusbleu wrote:
Just recently, I fired up GN and it says it will be cancelling the free version, and that I need to buy an upgrade. For me it's worth it. They added the ability to stored downloaded caches with this version, so that's a nice feature.

I had not seen that yet, thanks for the heads up. I've been using it on my Nokia E71. I love having the ability to double-check if there's been any updates to a cache since the downloaded pocket query. I've also used it to find caches in the spur of the moment or if you are outside the range of loaded caches in the GPS.

Julia have the Geocaching App for the iphone which is also nice, but the Geocaching Navigator seem a little bit faster to use.

-Jonas

Last edited by Jonas on Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocache Navigator Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
What are the advantages over a mobile web browsing environment?

GC.com is really cumbersome to access from my cell-phone browser and the wap portal does not have all the information you might want so the benefits with the geocaching explorer is having access to all the data you need, the interface, ease of use and speed.

-Jonas
seamusbleu
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's exactly it for me too.

BTW, the "upgrade" price is 15 euro (~$20). Pretty spendy, but given that I know and like it, to me it was worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: