MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New game?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redhornet
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: New game? Reply with quote

I think there should be a new game out there.There are so many lakers that are missing.Looks like there are only about 8 game pieces left and the new rounds never show up anymore.Lower Red is not in Log Hunt no more don't know here it went too.Nett game piece is missing also in Rochester.I was thinking maybe we can start a new game like drop 1000 new travel bugs around the state and each bug is worth a small prize each quarter of the year.You can only find the same bug once a year.Redhornet
FlagFinder
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would like to see a new game say how many pieces were there at the start of the lakes game?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redhornet,

I believe the original investment for the Lakers game was either $500 or $1000. towlebooth and RJ both split the cost to get the game started.

If you want to drop 1000 bugs, please do consider the upfront costs and code development required.
DLHCacher
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MnGCA Board is considering this.
TimbreWlf
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Laker game was a nice variation on the game. The board is currently looking for ideas for another game. We are looking for new variations rather than just recreating the Laker game under another flag.

To stimulate the discussion, I'd ask these questions:

What do you want to see in a game?
What's new in Geocaching that you've seen elsewhere?
What's going on in your head about variations on geocaching that you've not heard mentioned anywhere?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MnGCA board has decided to end the Laker game effective immediately. A large number of pieces are now missing from play and we feel that the game has run it's course.

We are interested in hearing ideas for a new type of cache game, different from the Laker game. If you have new ideas please post them here.

If you find a Laker game piece in a cache, we ask that you remove it and dispose of it as you wish (they are collectors items now).

Thanks to towlebooth and RJ for getting the game started (and towlebooth for the website coding)!
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
The MnGCA board has decided to end the Laker game effective immediately. A large number of pieces are now missing from play and we feel that the game has run it's course.

We are interested in hearing ideas for a new type of cache game, different from the Laker game. If you have new ideas please post them here.

If you find a Laker game piece in a cache, we ask that you remove it and dispose of it as you wish (they are collectors items now).

Thanks to towlebooth and RJ for getting the game started (and towlebooth for the website coding)!

Here's a quick idea off the top of my head....but there might be copyright issues to consider....

how about something along the lines of Monopoly, the way McDonalds does it? Make multiple game pieces of several properties, than one of the last piece needed to get the prize? Make our own tracking numbers (so it would be cheaper) to verify whether or not someone really has the piece...make it really hard by not revealing which cache they are in Twisted Evil ....just a thought....
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:

Agreed.

Pear Head wrote:

FYI, the code for the Laker game was written in such a way that another game could be creeated using the same structure easily. In fact, multiple games could exist at the same time as long as the rules were similiar.

PHP & SQL knowledge required.

Pear Head wrote:

I would not mind a Laker if someone finds one out there. . .
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

towlebooth wrote:
I would not mind a Laker if someone finds one out there. . .

Same here, but if I run across one, I'll save it for ya towlebooth.
FlagFinder
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think we should play capture the flag idk how youd do it but im sure you could figure it out. you know a competition between us all to get our own bug or coin to the traveling flag once they are in the same cache you win somthing along those lines.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I was kind of thinking would make cache games a bit more competitive would be to create some kind of Bingo themed game.

That being said, an MnGCA member automatically has a Bingo board generated to their user profile. The bingo pieces are out in caches; in order to have a bingo piece "loaded", they need to search out the bingo pieces, find and log into a different cache. After X (5?) people bingo, the boards are wiped and new random boards are loaded into each MnGCA's cacher profile.

The positives: This encourages people to go after specific pieces instead of amassing "whats closest". As such, it shifts the weight on tracking down individual pieces from the organization to the cachers since if you really need a piece, you'll go looking for it. As with the previous game, it will also encourage others to place the game pieces in more difficult caches, or at least something more than a park and grab. Also, due to the nature of this game, there is a specific time when it will end as opposed to it having an arbitrary stop date.

The negatives: If a piece goes missing it'll be impossible to win. The organization will have to be active in replacing lost pieces.

Variations can come in to play. Aside from simple bingo variations (postage stamp, four corners, etc. --rules for winning) you can also black out the board so you don't know if a piece you go to find will actually do anything for your board. The only way you'll know if you've found a piece on your board is if your board gets marked off after you've logged the piece into a cache. Another variation is to have a universal board that everyone shares (and is blanked out). The only way you'll know if you've a matching piece is if you log it.

Thoughts? Coding this might be a bit of an undertaking, but I think we've the capable skills within the org.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:
Something I was kind of thinking would make cache games a bit more competitive would be to create some kind of Bingo themed game.

I like the ideas I've seen from everyone so far - thanks. *Personally*, this idea intrigues me the most right now.

Quote:
The negatives: If a piece goes missing it'll be impossible to win. The organization will have to be active in replacing lost pieces.

I almost wonder if you need to have multiple pieces of each number in play? It doesn't seem practical (for most anyway) to drive halfway across the state to get your winning piece.

That reduces the need for the organization to immediately replace pieces, although we would still need to stay on top of replacing pieces.

Quote:
Coding this might be a bit of an undertaking, but I think we've the capable skills within the org.

It's important to note the difference between capable and actually getting it done. It's also a task to maintain the game. Not saying that we can't do it, but we need to nail that down.

Towlebooth mentioned that the Laker code would be reusable for another game - I wonder how much modification would be required (and who's going to volunteer to step forward to do it)?

Another thing to consider is the game pieces themselves. The Lakers were a significant investment - I would anticipate this to be the same or more.

Just trying to toss a couple of questions and ideas out there... If you have any totally different game ideas, please don't hesitate to toss them out still.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had considered that... I believe that there should be two or three of each piece released. This will mean that they'd each have their own seperate code and would reduce the driving time necessary to seek out a particular piece. It provides a real incentive for traveling to areas outside of a typical area (the metro, or duluth) to seek a goal.

The nature of this game is distributed, so you'll have everyone who needs a different piece. It alleviates any potential bottlenecks since everyone has their own goals.

I would volunteer my time to help administrate (and perhaps code a little) but my php experience is meeger at best. I think that most all games we do will involve some kind of initial investment for the pieces involved and there will be an initial startup cost.

Just a side note, the game should probably include the website link on the piece itself as this would be a great way to bring more people into the MnGCA. I'm not sure if there is any need for the distinction between 'Cache Games only' and MnGCA Member. I know many whom I have talked with who were under the impression that being an MnGCA member required some kind of fee. For those in the know, is there still a need to make this distinction?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The distinction is important. Cache Games Only requires no personal information while MnGCA Members are required by state law to keep their real name and addres information on file with us.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My idea for a cache game is not all the way thought out but here is the general idea.

I think that there should be multiple trackable items (coins or TBs) but what ever they are they should be geocaching.com trackable. This way if they leave the state people know how to track them. It would be nice to have coins and aprox 250 of them so they could have an icon. People would be more likely to log the item if they get an icon on their stats. Game pieces could be named after Minnesota cities or Minnesota caches.

Each trackable item would have a mission. The mission would be to get to a certain cache in Minnesota. Players would get points for the following.

1) For picking up a trackable item.
2) For dropping a trackable item.
3) For completing a trackable items mission.

For picking up an item a player would receive a number of points based off the number of days it has sat in the cache. This would give an incentive to items that were in less active caches to be found and moved.

For dropping off an item that didn't complete it's mission a player would receive points starting at 30 points for dropping it the day after they picked it up and they would loose 1 point for each day they held on to it without dropping it. Until the player got down to the minimum of 5 points for dropping an item. This would give an incentive for players to drop the trackables quickly. The player would also recieve bonus points that would equal 1 point for every 10 miles between the place that they picked the item up and that they dropped the item off. This would give an incentive for gamepieces to move further distances.

If a player completed a trackable items mission they would receive points based off that trackable items mission. Each trackable item would gain 1 point per day that their mission has not been completed. Once the trackable items mission was complete a new mission would be assigned to the trackable item and the points would be reset.

The game would be set up in rounds. At the end of each round all players points will be reset. The trackable items points will not be cleared at the end of a round.

A player can only get points for a specific trackable item once per round.

A player can only get points for an item (either picking up or dropping off) if a player has never found the cache they are picking up or dropping the trackable item in.

There would need to be more rules too I just canít think of them right now.

I would be willing to code and maintain the game if needed. I could also head up getting the coins if that is what was decided to be used as trackable items.

Those are some of my ideas.

What do you think?

Last edited by merkman on Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Cache Games All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: