MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Garmin Summit HC Died!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: My Garmin Summit HC Died!!!! Reply with quote

I grab my Garmin HC Summit hoping to garb a couple of caches today only to find out that it wouldn’t turn on. I thought to myself I must have left it on and the batteries must have gone dead. Well I have tired three sets of brand new batteries with no luck. When I try to turn the unit on there seems to a flash of life on the screen for a split second but that is it. The unit has not been dropped or abused in any other manner except from going from a inside temperature to an outside one which should be normal ware and tear if you ask me. Is there any suggestion on how to fix this problem or how to reset the unit? The warranty just ran out on it last Thanksgiving Holiday.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact Garmin. They have been known to fix for free units that are out of warranty if they find a defect. The original blue etrex screen issue comes to mind. Sounds very similar to that actually.
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info I will give that a try.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try plugging it into car or USB power and see if the unit powers up. If it does then clean the contact on the battery terminals. If it doesn't see post above.
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried plugging it into car with no luck. I gave Garmin a call and they walked me through the resetting process with no luck. They suggested to sent it in for repair at a cost of $79 bucks. I hope they decide to wave the fee for me. Thanks to all who have replied to my problem.
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thing that really sucks is that my old Garmin GPS 72 will not plug into any of my computers, so I have to manualy input the caches in.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that is because your new computer doesn't have an RS232 port. If that is so, you can buy adapters to convert a USB port to Serial. One link is below. But you can probably find them cheaper if you search around a little.

http://www.usb-port.com/uc232.html
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Artic.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fireman121 wrote:
Thanks for the info Artic.

I will say when I had my older Garmin's I used that adapter... the first one I got was like 5 bucks or something like that off Ebay, one of those straight from China deals... didn't work at all. I found one I think at MicroCenter maybe on sale for a reasonable (although more than Ebay) price. I tried that one and it worked like a charm! I think if I remember right I even recently tried to use it and the "Send to Garmin" button on a cache page and it worked no problem.
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my Summit back from Garmin and I have to say great turn around it only took a week to get it back. The bad new is they still charged me the $79 bucks.

Last edited by fireman121 on Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had purchase a adapter from Office Depot for $40 bucks but returned it today, who knew those things are not compatible with Vista. If any one else has to buy a item like that check the label carefully and see if it will work with your system.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I am noticing that you also have to check to make sure that it is either 32bit or 64bit. I am having problems with the Whereigo Builder as a result.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fireman121 wrote:
I just got my Summit back from Garmin and I have to say great turn around it only took a week to get it back. The bad new is they still charged me the $79 bucks.

I've always been impressed with their customer service. It's one of the main reasons I only buy Garmins.
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
fireman121 wrote:

I've always been impressed with their customer service. It's one of the main reasons I only buy Garmins.
Yes, i will also only buy Garmin, for that very reason! I got treated very well. A+ Peace, Joboo
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fireman121 wrote:
I had purchase a adapter from Office Depot for $40 bucks but returned it today, who knew those things are not compatible with Vista. If any one else has to buy a item like that check the label carefully and see if it will work with your system.

Hmmm. I've got one that I've had since Windows 98 and it has worked on every pc and notebook I've had to include my Vista.

But since you don't need it anymore glad the could take it back. What brand did you buy anyway?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: