MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-profit 3rd Party Park Advocates

View previous topic :: View next topic  
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: Non-profit 3rd Party Park Advocates Reply with quote

I was at REI earlier today, or rather yesterday, where I picked up their monthly newsletter, and there was mention of a third party non-profit group that deals with promoting state, county, regional, etc. parks. I have since lost the newsletter, so I cannot provide any further information at this time--if anybody knows who this group is, or gets to REI and sees the newsletter before I do, can you post any contact information in this thread, and I'll work on contacting someone from this group and introduce them to geocaching, and let them know of the somewhat unreasonable hurdles we've had to overcome to gain acceptance of our pasttime.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean that to sound like all parks are unreasonable--Ramsey, Three Rivers, Washington, Carver, and most of the parks administered at a smaller level have been exceptional with allowing us access, within acceptable guidelines, but there are quite a few that seem to have the knee-jerk reaction of banning geocaching altogether, like the DNR with their precious state parks. It also seems, or at least it did last summer, that Anoka Co. was on-again off-again as far as geocaching. From what I read of the newsletter article, this group sounds like it dovetails with our activity--promoting parks for everyone's enjoyment while still working to preserve them.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Parks & Trails Council of Minnesota Reply with quote

The group I was looking for is the Parks & Trails Council of Minnesota--they act to help establish, develop and enhance Minnesota's parks and trails, and encourage their protection and enjoyment. They are a non-government agency that has been instrumental in the creation and expansion of several Minnesota state parks and trails. If I get a consensus that thinks it won't raise too much of a stink, I'll contact them and let them know about geocaching. Their contact info--
www.mnptc.org
275 E. 4th Street #642
St. Paul, MN 55101-1651
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, put them onto Anoka county first thing Confused
Every time I contact them, they are like a sleeping dragon -- I knock on the door to their lair and they huff and puff and blow smoke, but then go back and pretend I was never there.

Lots and lots of great caching opportunities here in Anoka county parks, but of course there are the few that are over crowded and some that could use a cache or two to get folks into these wonderful parks! Some guidelines would really be nice for this area.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/4623219.html

Anoka County is one of the fastest growing and most prosperous counties in the nation.

Dan Erhart is the chairman of the Anoka County Board:

"Anything I get invited to, I go," he said. "I can get more information there than anyplace else."

Maybe an invite to a MnGCA meeting ?

Erhart doesn't spend much time in the office and doesn't use e-mail. He believes that 80% of communication is nonverbal, and the only way to really hear what's being said is to be out among people.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe someone from Anoka County can invite him to our breakfast this coming Saturday, or our next meeting? It'd probably be better if the invite came from one of his own constituents.
Address:
Anoka County Government Center
2100 3rd Avenue
Anoka, Minnesota 55303-2265

Telephone:
763-323-5700 (Government Center)
763-421-1884 (Home)
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Parks & Trails Council of Minnesota Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:

275 E. 4th Street #642
St. Paul, MN 55101-1651

Interesting. I live in 300 E. 4th Street.

Looks like they need voulenteers. Seems like they'd be obnoxiously local to voulenteer for, as I likely can see their windows out my window - and having a geocacher helping them couldn't be bad... I'll check them out and see if it's a fit for me - thanks for the info, 15T.

-Aaron
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:
Maybe someone from Anoka County can invite him to our breakfast this coming Saturday, or our next meeting? It'd probably be better if the invite came from one of his own constituents.

I'd recommend the invite be to a meeting only. While quite fun, the breakfast might be too informal for this purpose.
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next "official" MNGCA meeting will be April 13th in Maple Grove. The cache page is still waiting on approval. I think that's pretty darn close to Anoka county and this 3rd party person.
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Parks & Trails Council of Minnesota Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:
The group I was looking for is the Parks & Trails Council of Minnesota--they act to help establish, develop and enhance Minnesota's parks and trails, and encourage their protection and enjoyment. They are a non-government agency that has been instrumental in the creation and expansion of several Minnesota state parks and trails. If I get a consensus that thinks it won't raise too much of a stink, I'll contact them and let them know about geocaching. Their contact info--
www.mnptc.org
275 E. 4th Street #642
St. Paul, MN 55101-1651

I emailed the person at the top of the list at their webpage and told them a little about geocaching and our upcoming CITO event at the Gateway State Trail on April 17th.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: