MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gsak question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WoodsWoman
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: gsak question Reply with quote

Can I download GSAK to two computers for the one charge of $25? Confused
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer: yes, but only if the same person will be using it on both computers.

From the GSAK help file...

14. I want to use GSAK on my laptop as well, do I have to buy another registration?

The license agreement which you accept when installing GSAK does explain this (Yea, I know, who reads that rubbish) but I would just like to make it clear.The GSAK license is for the USER and not the computer. This means you can install and register it on your desktop, laptop, work computer (providing you have permission) etc.

It is not only OK to do this, I actively encourage it. One of the main reasons for the backup/restore feature was so you could transfer GSAK data/settings between computers.

This may be at odds with other license agreements, but I just don't think it fair you have to pay for the software on each computer YOU use.So if you are a bit geeky, and like me have 5 computers, then by all means install and register on all 5 without an ounce of guilt

However, This does not mean you can use your license key on your friend's/relative's computer so he/she can use it.
WoodsWoman
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
RonGerth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must confess I have it loaded on 4 of them as the only person to use GSAK and it works. Your main issue is going to be when you go to one of them and create filters and customize it to your liking you have to remember to back up the settings and databases and then update the other computer. If you do use GSAK the most powerfull part of it is the macro section, makes your day if you have a CO or OR unit. I have a CO and save the backup file onto the disk in it and then restore off of it when I get to the computer that I haven't used for awhile.

Ron
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have GSAK on my home PC, work PC, and two laptops. But I also am the ONLY user on each of the machines. And as a software developer myself, I would never share my software (like a lot of us used to do in the old days).
WoodsWoman
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. As a consultant, I hate to have someone else use my work. I am the only user on my two computers. My husband is computer-phobic. Thanks.
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another GSAK question... Is it possible to use a macro to generate stats for another cacher that isn't you? I want to my daughter's stats on her profile page. Very Happy
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkyfry wrote:
Another GSAK question... Is it possible to use a macro to generate stats for another cacher that isn't you? I want to my daughter's stats on her profile page. Very Happy

Yep. When running the FindStatGen macro you can tell it which GSAK database to use. I do it for geocaching mutha Norvina once in a while.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind though that unless you have loaded her "my finds" query (as opposed to loading all of the Minnesota caches) it's very possible that you won't have all of her stats loaded in GSAK.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Keep in mind though that unless you have loaded her "my finds" query (as opposed to loading all of the Minnesota caches) it's very possible that you won't have all of her stats loaded in GSAK.

I should have been more clear. That is exactly what I do, she sends me the file and I run it through the stats macro.
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Yep. When running the FindStatGen macro you can tell it which GSAK database to use. I do it for geocaching mutha Norvina once in a while.

I can't figure out how to get it to use a different database. Under "Found Caches Database," the only option it gives me on the pull-down menu is "Default." Do I have to have the finds loaded for my daughter to get the option? This is all basically for the sake of a joke -- She has only one find. I don't want to create a premium account for her, so I don't have the pocket query option and can't generate her finds.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkyfry wrote:
bflentje wrote:

I can't figure out how to get it to use a different database. Under "Found Caches Database," the only option it gives me on the pull-down menu is "Default." Do I have to have the finds loaded for my daughter to get the option? This is all basically for the sake of a joke -- She has only one find. I don't want to create a premium account for her, so I don't have the pocket query option and can't generate her finds.

I have no experience with the macro. I would assume that you have to have her find loaded into a separate database.

Create one through Database/New on the top menu bar.
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I have no experience with the macro. I would assume that you have to have her find loaded into a separate database.

That seems helpful, but I can't figure out how to tie the macro to another cacher besides me. I can get it to change the name, but then all my stats still come up.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkyfry wrote:
Pear Head wrote:

That seems helpful, but I can't figure out how to tie the macro to another cacher besides me. I can get it to change the name, but then all my stats still come up.

I wonder if you need to change the owner id?

Tools/Options/General, then 2nd box down.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
sparkyfry wrote:
Pear Head wrote:

I wonder if you need to change the owner id?

Tools/Options/General, then 2nd box down.

Change the ownerid in the macro itself.. and change the database in the macro as well. Check out the picture.. I circled what you need to change.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: