MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible Statewide ban on caching in Ohio

View previous topic :: View next topic  
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Possible Statewide ban on caching in Ohio Reply with quote

OK, make that "geocaching, as we know it". The DNR is attempting to limit all caching "in the woods" (whatever that means) to only Earthcaches, and it could happen within the month!

I have no more information on this at this time, aside from a short mention made on the geocaching.com forums by the moderator, Keystone. This news is, of course, only relevant to MNGCA in that what transpires in one state government can spread like a weed to other state governments:

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?s=&showtopic=226636&view=findpost&p=3998276
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If true, they would only have control over state lands in Ohio. To say the "entire state of Ohio" sounds like drama to me.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their loss. As I like to chide friends from that state, "Nothing good ever comes out of Ohio".
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
If true, they would only have control over state lands in Ohio. To say the "entire state of Ohio" sounds like drama to me.

Good point, but Keystone is the epitomy of un-dramatic, in my experience.
NeoAddict
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what prompted this. Perhaps that forester woke up on the wrong side of the pine tree one day?
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. I did start a thread in the Midwest forum (Keystone wouldn't allow it in the general forum, where it would get the most attention) but so far, only one Ohioan has replied to it, and that reply was that he had heard nothing of it.

I also have tried to search for it online, to no avail.

My main concern, of course, is strictly for Bobcam. He's going to have to reach out to Ohio pretty soon if he's to keep his numbers up. Wink
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:
Good question. I did start a thread in the Midwest forum (Keystone wouldn't allow it in the general forum, where it would get the most attention) but so far, only one Ohioan has replied to it, and that reply was that he had heard nothing of it.

I also have tried to search for it online, to no avail.

My main concern, of course, is strictly for Bobcam. He's going to have to reach out to Ohio pretty soon if he's to keep his numbers up. Wink

The regional topics hardly get any traffic on the national forums.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:

It's a forestry division official, so we're only talking about state forests, assuming it's even true.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
bflentje wrote:

It's a forestry division official, so we're only talking about state forests, assuming it's even true.

Yes, although Keystone's original post did make it sound much more dire and widespread than that.

Here's the thread: http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=226742 There have been a couple of updates tonight.
In part:

Quote:
Updating my earlier posts to another thread, I've now confirmed that the policy changed last week so that only earthcaches are allowed in Ohio State Forests going forward, and only with a special use permit (which is free). Through a helpful local contact, I am double checking to make extra sure that the ban is statewide for all the State Forests, and not just in the one Forest where we are in touch with an official.

Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
bflentje wrote:

My personal prediction:

Geocaching has too much momentum for one individual to ban it at any sort of state level. One individual may start the wheels in motion, but I don't believe one person can wake up one day and say no more geocaching. A ban may be instituted but I doubt it lasts.

My prediction.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful. This new watershed act that Congress is enacting can severely limit the use of any land that contains lakes (of any size), wetlands, rivers or streams. If passed by Congress they will have total control of all Water in the United States. Even water on private property. So there are a lot of individuals out there that are looking to extend control in their domains based upon this act.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
Be careful. This new watershed act that Congress is enacting can severely limit the use of any land that contains lakes (of any size), wetlands, rivers or streams. If passed by Congress they will have total control of all Water in the United States. Even water on private property. So there are a lot of individuals out there that are looking to extend control in their domains based upon this act.

OMG, not sure what you're talking about yet but sounds major draconion, or should I say communist, type of move. Worthy of a thread on its own?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: