MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what else have you found? besides the cache...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
NOW I need the rest of the story. I have not heard it yet.

bflentje has been properly briefed and is now sorry he asked.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitro_R/T wrote:
After looking online at different skulls, I'm pretty sure that this was a wolf skull. About 15' away from the cache.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=4e58bef0-669c-499e-a722-3c328820422f

FSU*Noles and I found a deer head near "OJ's Defense". Glad it wasn't a Posen cache, or we might have had to check it out more carefully.
tesser
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found small skulls, numerous dead critters, and once found the forelegs of a deer near a cache. Just the forelegs. Weird. I have found the "homes" of homeless people a few times. I have had occasion to wonder why I am out caching alone, especially when alone at night. I try to bring at least one dog, but not every time.

However, one sad thing I have noticed this summer, I swear, 90% of the caches I have found have had at least one beer can within 50 feet of the cache. I am coming to the conclusion that the cachers are leaving them. Is someone celebrating out there with a cold one??
meralgia
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we found a rabbit skeleton which we put together, glued, and traded it at the collector's corner at the Science Museum. When you find natural objects, the kids can bring them in for points toward another natural object (that some other kid found). They've got lots of fun stuff to trade.

We're working on a completely intact beaver skeleton right now. I Love Interlopers alerted us to the specimen at the KB cache entitled, "PWA?"
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: An unusual encounter Reply with quote

So today we are after a cache 2-300 ft into the brush on an animal trail off the main trail. And what was at ground zero? A man crouched down taking a crap- did we scare the S--t out of him?? I don't know- we turned our backs- we needed to get to where he was. He stood up, pulled up his shorts and walked to a nearby bush where he had left his shirt, put it on and left. So we get to within a couple of feet and find his leavings with a couple of pieces of colorful tissue. We were able to walk around and get the container- Was he a cacher?? The log hadn't been signed recently- maybe he went back and signed- who knows? But what are the chances of finding a person crapping 2-300 ft off a trail nearly at GZ of a cache. We laughed all the way out to the car. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes It is just unbelievable that is all those acres of woods he would be at GZ crapping- within 2-3 ft of the cache. Laughing
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: An unusual encounter Reply with quote

eagleyes wrote:
what are the chances of finding a person crapping 2-300 ft off a trail nearly at GZ of a cache.

LOL obviously 100% Great story.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: An unusual encounter Reply with quote

eagleyes wrote:
So today we are after a cache 2-300 ft into the brush on an animal trail off the main trail. And what was at ground zero? A man crouched down taking a crap- did we scare the S--t out of him?? I don't know- we turned our backs- we needed to get to where he was. He stood up, pulled up his shorts and walked to a nearby bush where he had left his shirt, put it on and left. So we get to within a couple of feet and find his leavings with a couple of pieces of colorful tissue. We were able to walk around and get the container- Was he a cacher?? The log hadn't been signed recently- maybe he went back and signed- who knows? But what are the chances of finding a person crapping 2-300 ft off a trail nearly at GZ of a cache. We laughed all the way out to the car. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes It is just unbelievable that is all those acres of woods he would be at GZ crapping- within 2-3 ft of the cache. Laughing

Wasn't it a wee bit cold to be outside doing something like this. I know I wouldn't be doing something like that in this kind of temps! I think I would have just left the area if I had come upon something like this. Just not worth going after the cache to me. EWWWWW!
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was 76 degrees.
Jasowac
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this fall I was caching at Crosby Park and there was a homeless guy camping about 20 feet from ground zero. He had a campfire going, tent, etc. Went on to another cache and when I came back he was gone.

Also at Hidden Falls park last summer I was searching for a cache and a middle-aged man followed me into the woods. He was buy himself (so was I) and he was dressed fairly well. As I realized he was following me, I turned and said "how are you? nice day to be in the woods." he asked if I was meeting someone here. I left.

Apparently there are some well-known gay meeting spots out there among the homosexual community. My wife got a pretty good laugh when I told her the story.
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jasowac wrote:
Also at Hidden Falls park last summer I was searching for a cache and a middle-aged man followed me into the woods. He was buy himself (so was I) and he was dressed fairly well. As I realized he was following me, I turned and said "how are you? nice day to be in the woods." he asked if I was meeting someone here. I left.

Apparently there are some well-known gay meeting spots out there among the homosexual community. My wife got a pretty good laugh when I told her the story.

Was the cache Enter at Your Own Risk, by any chance? I had a similar experience at that cache where a random guy walked up, appearing (to me) initially to be completely aimless. My log from 10/9/09 and Jonas' log from 7/3/09 suggest that that spot in particular is popular.

One interesting thing I found just Wednesday was an archived cache that had never been removed while looking for a different cache.
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine isn't as bizarre or as gross as a number of these. Last year was the year of the dead skunk. I ran across two decomposing skunks at different caches last summer. The first one was exceptionally bad and by the logs that followed remained so for a couple of months. I warned them.
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1d68881f-76c4-4167-a1ac-0003cf3b9659
The caching experience that creeped me out was when I went for an early morning walk in Vienna to find a cache near the Hundertwasser Haus in 2006. Reception wasn't good with the tall buildings and narrow streets. I was poking about suspiciously in a foreign country with the ability to count to einhundert and say ja und nein. It wouldn't get me very far with the police. As I tried to look normal going from one side of the street to the other and back again (lots of bounce on the signal) I'd hear...click, then a little later...click and ...click. Becoming a little unnerved, I finally stopped and looked around to see what was making that noise. It took a little while to find it. There behind a large tree was a man holding a ladder. At the very top of the ladder trying to camouflage among the branches and leaves was another man with a camera. I tried to look some more for the cache, but with another few of clicks of that shutter, I was out of there. To this day I wonder if they broke down and bought a webcam. It looked a bit like a Laurel and Hardy operation to me, but disconcerting enough to encourage me to move on.

Jasowac
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkyfry wrote:

Was the cache Enter at Your Own Risk, by any chance? I had a similar experience at that cache where a random guy walked up, appearing (to me) initially to be completely aimless. My log from 10/9/09 and Jonas' log from 7/3/09 suggest that that spot in particular is popular.

One interesting thing I found just Wednesday was an archived cache that had never been removed while looking for a different cache.

It was Southern Fried Rock: Flirtin' With Disaster, which is now archived. Log was on June 22. I have only been caching for about 9 months, and enter at your own risk has been archived for a long time.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagleyes wrote:
It was 76 degrees.

All your log said was Today. The day you posted it was the 20th of January. To me that would mean really cold.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my log from yesterday at a Bloomington cache:
An interesting one today. I needed a cache for the day, and this seemed like a good option. I was looking for a park hide with a high probability that even I could find it. Arrived at the park at the same time as some other soccer cars. They didn't pay me any attention and I took off into the woods. Walking to GZ I was remarking to myself that this must be a floodplain because of the lack of vegetation and all the large snail shells. Once I got in, it was easy walking. About 75 feet north of GZ I saw something under a log, cache-like, but not a cache. Upon further investigation it was a bag-like purse. Clear vinyl. I could see some coins through the vinyl and lots of other papers, nail clippers, tiny scissors, etc Opening the bag I found a MN Drivers License w/ Minnetonka address, some other membership ID cards, and another plastic bag with a SSN Card and an embossed birth certificate. Oddly the Drivers License was for a guy, even though this seemed like a strange purse. I still can't figure the whole thing out; the combination of stuff, the location found, the pristine-ness of the "purse" (it hadn't been there long). If the DL had been mine, I would appreciate someone returning it to me, so leaving it all where it was wasn't a considered option. I took it with me as I walked to GZ and made easy work of the nice cache here. Then I considered my next steps. I could take it home and try to call the Mtka guy, but then I would have to meet up with him, and it all sounded a bit cumbersome so I discarded that idea too. I could drop it off at the Bloomington Police Dept, but I didn't know where that was. My last option was to call the local police and let them deal with it. I wasn't fond of that idea either, as it was suppertime and I didn't want to wait a long time for a car to come by. But that's what I ended up doing. Unfortunately the first question of the dispatcher was "which park are you in?" Oh Geeze, I don't know. I couldn't find a sign, but I gave her street directions (should have just given coordinates!) and she left to find the name. In the meantime I stopped a passerby and asked the name of the park. I was much quicker! She dispatched a car to me and the officer was there in about 5 minutes. Can't ask for better than that! I turned over the bag with an explanation and description, and we chatted for a bit, then I was on my way home.

So my question to you all, what is the story?? It feels like an identity theft, but I can't make it make sense. Clearly someone had purposely put it there (instead of a dumpster). Any why all the other purse-like crap in there (no credit cards).

Or maybe it's as simple as someone applying for a job and needed the SSN and birth cert. and somehow lost the bag and it somehow ended up in the brush near a park under a log....

I wish I had taken a few pictures.
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two things you don't list are credit cards and paper cash which are the two primary targets of smash and dash. If those weren't there my guess is someone dumped it after a nearby vehicle break in.

Our most unique find - we have found a 6 leaf clover two different times while caching.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: