MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Find me the movie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
casinoman
Geocacher


Joined: 26 Mar 2008

Posts: 383

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for your help
_________________
---------------------------------------------------
I may grow old, But I will never grow up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 13 Apr 2006

Posts: 1944

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my movie a few days ago and we watched it one night earlier this week. I may turn it into a travel bug so it can get passed around from hand to hand but with a tracking number hopefully I'd be able to see how many and who have been able to enjoy it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
timewellspent
Geocacher


Joined: 19 Mar 2008

Posts: 709

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
I got my movie a few days ago and we watched it one night earlier this week. I may turn it into a travel bug so it can get passed around from hand to hand but with a tracking number hopefully I'd be able to see how many and who have been able to enjoy it.


You can start with me Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mnmojoe
Geocacher


Joined: 11 Jul 2009

Posts: 7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Cool Idea... Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
I got my movie a few days ago and we watched it one night earlier this week. I may turn it into a travel bug so it can get passed around from hand to hand but with a tracking number hopefully I'd be able to see how many and who have been able to enjoy it.


Would love to see where it went... Keep me updated.

Joe Jestus
Marketing Director for Find Me
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
casinoman
Geocacher


Joined: 26 Mar 2008

Posts: 383

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES I got my copy last night I may not be able to watch it till this weekend ( way busy ) but I got it and can't wait to give it a gander.
_________________
---------------------------------------------------
I may grow old, But I will never grow up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 30 Nov 2005

Posts: 672

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found two reviews of this movie.

http://www.christiancinema.com/catalog/article_info.php?articles_id=6269
http://www.christiancinema.com/catalog/article_info.php?articles_id=6278

Both seemed positive.

-Jonas
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Hipster
Geocacher


Joined: 06 Oct 2008

Posts: 259

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonas wrote:
I found two reviews of this movie.
http://www.christiancinema.com/catalog/article_info.php?articles_id=6269
http://www.christiancinema.com/catalog/article_info.php?articles_id=6278
Both seemed positive.
-Jonas

I believe the key word above is "christiancinema". That will give you a pretty good indication of the agenda put forth in this movie. See the movie for yourselves & make up your own mind.

On a seperate note: I feel there are a number of rather iffy geocaching practices depicted, this is not a movie designed to give one a proper education in geocaching.

The movie is what it is. I enjoyed many aspects of it - somethings I did not. But then is that not the way with most movies? What was accomplished on a budget of $50K is pretty amazing.


Last edited by The Hipster on Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 29 Oct 2007

Posts: 1991

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hipster wrote:
On a seperate note: I feel there are a number of rather iffy geocaching practices depicted, this is not a movie designed to give one a proper education in geocaching.


Nor was it intended to be IMHO. Movies rarely depict things as the really are, they are usually sensationalized a bit. It adds to the dramatic flare.

I have seen it as well. I'll agree this movie isn't about geocaching, but it's a theme in the movie. Also, I'll agree that there's a mild political theme and a mild religious theme to it. Christian at best, but no religion is ever mentioned. The only references are to the bible.

IMHO, this is still a good movie...for what it is....a movie. If you are expecting to know everything about geocaching, this ain't the movie for you. Watch it for a movie and I think most people will enjoy it.
_________________
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
casinoman
Geocacher


Joined: 26 Mar 2008

Posts: 383

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 thumb s up I and my son were able to watch most of it last night before we had to run out for the rest of the night. I hope to finish watching tonight.

I will say this after reading some of the other posts here I was expecting somthing more diffrent. More religous. I will have to disagree. Yes it is part of the theam and yes so is Geocaching and is that not a religon to some of us. I think that the acting is good the theam is good and the guys that made the movie should take pride in there efforts and there work. In all it is a great work of fiction. Well done guys and gals.
_________________
---------------------------------------------------
I may grow old, But I will never grow up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jam3s
Geocacher


Joined: 26 Oct 2008

Posts: 842

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to thank everyone for their interest in seeing Find Me, the movie, at the MnGCA Fall Event.

The Fall Event Committee has decided to decline the offer of the free viewing for a couple different reasons.

First off, the event committee received complaints stating that the movie has a religious bias. We were able to hold these back as the movie has a spiritual message, but not a religious bias.

The second complaint that we received was that we were commercializing the MnGCA. "We have spent many years to build up this organization to be independent from external influences or commercial interests. For MnGCA to host an event advertising and promoting a commercial movie would go completely against these ideals."

As a result we have decided that we will no longer accept donations of items or funds as we feel that we are not able to do the donating company justice and we would be commercializing the MnGCA.
_________________
~~ I was told all I needed was a GPS. I wanted everything else. ~~
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mnmojoe
Geocacher


Joined: 11 Jul 2009

Posts: 7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Thanks Hipster... Reply with quote

The Hipster wrote:
Jonas wrote:
I found two reviews of this movie.
http://www.christiancinema.com/catalog/article_info.php?articles_id=6269
http://www.christiancinema.com/catalog/article_info.php?articles_id=6278
Both seemed positive.
-Jonas

I believe the key word above is "christiancinema". That will give you a pretty good indication of the agenda put forth in this movie. See the movie for yourselves & make up your own mind.

On a seperate note: I feel there are a number of rather iffy geocaching practices depicted, this is not a movie designed to give one a proper education in geocaching.

The movie is what it is. I enjoyed many aspects of it - somethings I did not. But then is that not the way with most movies? What was accomplished on a budget of $50K is pretty amazing.


Thanks Hipster, we are proud of what the crew and cast were able to do for so little.

As for the iffy geocaching practices, there are three things to remember, 1) It is a movie and there is always a need to sensationalize a bit. 2) Some of the caches were placed by the kidnapper who obviously isn't interested in following geocaching etiquette. 3) Because of these and not wanting newbies to geocaching thinking this is how it is, we created a Geocaching 101 section on our website to teach people what it is about. HeadHardHat at Geosnippets, made some great intro videos for us that are wonderful tools to teach people about the sport.

Finally, as for the religious and political views. Many of us who worked on the film are christians and what you are always influences what you do. We wanted to make a film that showed people like ourselves living their lives and doing what they love to do in an entertaining story with a positive message for others to watch. Hopefully, we accomplished that.

Thanks again for the kind words and thanks to everyone who has supported the film through purchases and spreading the word, you guys are great.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mnmojoe
Geocacher


Joined: 11 Jul 2009

Posts: 7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Thanks Guys... Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
I would like to thank everyone for their interest in seeing Find Me, the movie, at the MnGCA Fall Event.

The Fall Event Committee has decided to decline the offer of the free viewing for a couple different reasons.

First off, the event committee received complaints stating that the movie has a religious bias. We were able to hold these back as the movie has a spiritual message, but not a religious bias.

The second complaint that we received was that we were commercializing the MnGCA. "We have spent many years to build up this organization to be independent from external influences or commercial interests. For MnGCA to host an event advertising and promoting a commercial movie would go completely against these ideals."

As a result we have decided that we will no longer accept donations of items or funds as we feel that we are not able to do the donating company justice and we would be commercializing the MnGCA.


Those of us at Trost Moving Pictures and Find Me want to also thank everyone for their interest and help with Find Me.

The decision of the MnGCA is totally understandable and we appreciate the time and effort of those involved in making it.

In traveling around and working with various Geocaching Associations I can truly say that MN has one of the best. Geocaching awareness and the geocaching community in MN is incredible. Keep up the good work!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mnmojoe
Geocacher


Joined: 11 Jul 2009

Posts: 7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Thanks Casinoman Reply with quote

casinoman wrote:
2 thumb s up I and my son were able to watch most of it last night before we had to run out for the rest of the night. I hope to finish watching tonight.

I will say this after reading some of the other posts here I was expecting somthing more diffrent. More religous. I will have to disagree. Yes it is part of the theam and yes so is Geocaching and is that not a religon to some of us. I think that the acting is good the theam is good and the guys that made the movie should take pride in there efforts and there work. In all it is a great work of fiction. Well done guys and gals.


Glad you enjoyed it, even more so that you could watch it with your son.
I never knew how hard making a movie was until I did it, and to have people like yourself enjoy the end product is a wonderful feeling.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
casinoman
Geocacher


Joined: 26 Mar 2008

Posts: 383

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Casinoman Reply with quote

mnmojoe wrote:
casinoman wrote:
2 thumb s up I and my son were able to watch most of it last night before we had to run out for the rest of the night. I hope to finish watching tonight.

I will say this after reading some of the other posts here I was expecting somthing more diffrent. More religous. I will have to disagree. Yes it is part of the theam and yes so is Geocaching and is that not a religon to some of us. I think that the acting is good the theam is good and the guys that made the movie should take pride in there efforts and there work. In all it is a great work of fiction. Well done guys and gals.


Glad you enjoyed it, even more so that you could watch it with your son.
I never knew how hard making a movie was until I did it, and to have people like yourself enjoy the end product is a wonderful feeling.






I let a fellow cacher use the DVD last week and she loved it. She thought it was a good first effort.
It may just make therounds out here in North Dakota.
TFTM
Thanks For The Movie
_________________
---------------------------------------------------
I may grow old, But I will never grow up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mnmojoe
Geocacher


Joined: 11 Jul 2009

Posts: 7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Thanks again Casinoman... Reply with quote

Love to hear it's making the rounds in ND!

Appreciate your support and help in getting the word out. : )

Joe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Geocaching Cache Icons, Copyright 2009, Groundspeak Inc. All rights reserved. Used with Permission.