MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anonymous Logs
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Anonymous Logs Reply with quote

What's your thoughts on people that log caches' paper logs anonymously, and don't post on the site?

My thoughts are: I don't really care, for the most part. I think it's common curtsey to post a log on the website, just to let the cache owner know that the cache is still okay and to hear about cachers' experiences. If they don't, and want to be anonymous, that's fine.

My thoughts changed a little bit last night when Silent Bob and I found this log.

If you don't want to read the url, the text is as follows, as a first finder on [url=http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid={3A399FBF-F35A-4F15-9519-7D4376A14D01}]this cache[/url] where Silent Bob and I were trying hard to be FTF:

Quote:
1st Finder!
Sorry Bob & Saxton sp? found
first Half Shortly Before you
on monday Ran out of time
Long Hike! Found this ok
in 30 seconds Lucky I guess
or I'm Just a Natural : )
TFTC & a Great
Hike! TNLN

Didn't leave a name or anything! I have to admit I'm now a bit curious who this is!

-Aaron
PeakShift
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just posted yesterday- maybe the person hasnt had time to log the find yet? They obviously read the GC site, knowing who you were tho.
Strange-
I guess if it wasnt for the first find honor - it wouldnt bother me much.
A cache is a cache is a cache, right?
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeakShift wrote:
You just posted yesterday- maybe the person hasnt had time to log the find yet? They obviously read the GC site, knowing who you were tho.
Strange-
I guess if it wasnt for the first find honor - it wouldnt bother me much.
A cache is a cache is a cache, right?

I agree. A cache is a cache... and if people want to be anonymous, that's fine with me... the fact that this person pointed us out personally was what got me interested. I've never seen anyone not sign their name before in the log if they spent the time to write something... We'll see if they decide to post on the site. I was just guessing, if they spent the time to watch our progress on it, they'd be on the site enough to say something... and he/she's obviously interested in our reactions with a note like that, especially while touting him/herself as a "natural," compared to us!

-Aaron
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it seems that anonymous cachers have struck at two other caches for FTF that *I* know of...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=100027&log=y&decrypt=
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=102370&log=y&decrypt=

Silent Bob
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: no-signs... Reply with quote

We have friend who geo-cache and just sign in the notebook, but never log on the web because they just enough the find and getting out of the house for a walk. Alo, when I pull my caches this fall to refurbish them, I found that I had many more notebook sign-in than logged computer site finds.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: no-signs... Reply with quote

eagleyes wrote:
We have friend who geo-cache and just sign in the notebook, but never log on the web because they just enough the find and getting out of the house for a walk. Alo, when I pull my caches this fall to refurbish them, I found that I had many more notebook sign-in than logged computer site finds.

Well, I think it's one thing to do it for the fun and the hike and all that and it's another to anonymously mock those that do log online... If you are going to mock someone's username from GC you should at least puts some fake name down in the book so that we have someone's name to yell while shaking our fists at the sky.

Silent Bob
murph
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think out of courtesy they should log in the book and on the web. I don't have a reason for it other than respect. The web page is a free page and if to many people abuse it then maybe only paid members will be allowed to get the cordinates??? Don't know.

Somewhat along the same lines as far as anonymous, I am thinking of changing my ID. I know you can't change the logs in the cache but with only 13 does it really make a difference as the web would change my name on all finds, right? Or does that not really make a difference?

murph
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: no-signs... Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
If you are going to mock someone's username from GC you should at least puts some fake name down in the book so that we have someone's name to yell while shaking our fists at the sky.

Just so you know... I got out some of my filled up old log books from various caches and may come up with a likely suspect Cool by looking at and comparing handwriting..... I'll let you know.
But you have to admit, it is a teensy weensy bit hilarious! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: no-signs... Reply with quote

Centris wrote:
But you have to admit, it is a teensy weensy bit hilarious! Laughing

It was probably far more funny to see me running down the trail after seeing (at the time) an unknown person heading down the trail and me fly past and the person (now obviously jjjeffr) turn his head in complete confusion. I wonder if he thought that the police SWAT teams were decending on him...

When he said he found the cache and I told him that if he thought that he was going to get FTF without a GPS and w/o doing the first stage he had another thing coming (ie shoving him down the steep embankment) Smile

I was only half-joking Wink

Silent Bob
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder If the guy didn't log it on the website because he didn't find stage 1?
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
I wonder If the guy didn't log it on the website because he didn't find stage 1?

Here's the paper log. He said he found the first stage shortly before we did, which would explain the footsteps we saw in the area. We assumed they were someone else's footsteps.

-Aaron
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot...heck my brains a little frozen....(no comments bob)
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
I forgot...heck my brains a little frozen....(no comments bob)

Only solution to that is wings!

Silent Bob
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Centris has the right idea. Hand writing analysis. Every one with old logs, check out the paper log that's been posted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WicketsWanderingPonyPatro wrote:
Yes, Centris has the right idea. Hand writing analysis. Every one with old logs, check out the paper log that's been posted.

Aaron said we would find them and we WILL Smile

Silent Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: