MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To be archived list
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeltaMikeAlpha
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: To be archived list Reply with quote

I don't think this topic has been discussed before so I thought I'd bring it up. I'd like to see a list maintained of caches that are slated to be archived. This way anyone wanting to "find" it before it is archived can make plans to do so. The list could be maintained in chronological order with the caches next to go at the top of the list. I'd also like to see the caches recently archived also on the list. I think that all of us download data long before we go after some caches. And, my guess is that ALL of us have searched for a cache that has been archived. Right now, the only way to know the current status of a cache is to visit the cache page. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement this but I thought I'd try to start a discussion about it and see where the wind blows.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a tall order, especially as it's hard to maintain. gc.com doesn't provide (that I know of) a way to download archived caches in a PQ. Beyond that problem, it's against the acceptable terms of use to distribute PQ data beyond yourself.

There is a similar (old) thread that I started here somewhere about listing archived caches (with a little different twist), although I'm too lazy to figure out which one it is.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: To be archived list Reply with quote

DeltaMikeAlpha wrote:
I don't think this topic has been discussed before so I thought I'd bring it up. I'd like to see a list maintained of caches that are slated to be archived. This way anyone wanting to "find" it before it is archived can make plans to do so. The list could be maintained in chronological order with the caches next to go at the top of the list. I'd also like to see the caches recently archived also on the list. I think that all of us download data long before we go after some caches. And, my guess is that ALL of us have searched for a cache that has been archived. Right now, the only way to know the current status of a cache is to visit the cache page.

Premium members can set up notifications for when a cache nearby is archived. So when you see that notification, you can take the waypoint off your GPS, or make a mental note not to go after that one.

The only way to tell if a cache is slated to be archived is to read the logs; there's no way to scan for it in pocket queries, or even to write a program to figure it out from the logs. So I don't think there's any way to generate the list you want.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the only potential for a list to be maitained on this site is by the membership. If a member was considering archiving one of the caches they had placed they could write a note in a forum here. But as was pointed out there is not linkage to gc.com from this site that could provide that type of service.

An you are correct, the only way to be more accurate with your search of the day is to have pulled the gpx that day.

Howver, there are those of us out there that now carry devices that have internet access from the field. It has saved us on more then one occasion when searching to pull up the waypoint and find out that it has either been moved, muggled or archived. It's not the perfect solution but then life rarely has one.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
Howver, there are those of us out there that now carry devices that have internet access from the field. It has saved us on more then one occasion when searching to pull up the waypoint and find out that it has either been moved, muggled or archived. It's not the perfect solution but then life rarely has one.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=bf571715-d498-47fd-83c5-94f71463e293
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably not the right place to put this, but I was thinking about notification beyond posting notes on the cache sheet as I'm getting ready to archive some caches. I've acquired an unmanageable amount of active caches going right now (something like 40 to 50), and would like to give myself the flexibility to place more and be responsible about maintaining them. I would also like to open up some acreage near my house so OTHER people can place caches for me to seek.

Anyway, here is a list of caches I intend to archive in the next couple of weeks:

Alphabet Soup B Duck
Alphabet Soup C Pavilion
Alphabet Soup D Moonshine
Alphabet Soup E My Kind of Town
Alphabet Soup G High Winds
Alphabet Soup H Mueller Farm
Alphabet Soup I Winter Friendly
Alphabet Soup K Push My Stomach (I can't wait to see the container for this one)
Alphabet Soup L Noisy Kettle
Alphabet Soup M Aye, Aye, Captain
Alphabet Soup N Tiger in the Woods
Alphabet Soup O Wonderful
Alphabet Soup P Quarry
Alphabet Soup S Big Jar
Alphabet Soup T Ravine
Alphabet Soup V Thresher
Alphabet Soup Z Holz Farm
Creekwood
Don't Fall In II
Just Plain Mean
The Color Purple

Also, due to containers turning up missing, I archived two others yesterday:
Alphabet Soup A Beachview
Alphabet Soup U Tanks a Lot !

So there you go.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following Paklid's lead here are the caches I plan on removing in early October (end of the tick season!)

Stonehenge GCKFZR: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=b800b90c-7d23-4e4d-9162-2cbcc931cb6e

Over the Hills and Far Away GCMA8K: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=14cdad14-b59b-4d0a-b113-cb7fa9e79f09

All Along the Watertower GCNWMK: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=529dc124-db38-4052-bbf3-25c667cf21ae
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paklid wrote:
This is probably not the right place to put this, but I was thinking about notification beyond posting notes on the cache sheet as I'm getting ready to archive some caches. I've acquired an unmanageable amount of active caches going right now (something like 40 to 50), and would like to give myself the flexibility to place more and be responsible about maintaining them. I would also like to open up some acreage near my house so OTHER people can place caches for me to seek.

Anyway, here is a list of caches I intend to archive in the next couple of weeks:

Alphabet Soup B Duck
Alphabet Soup C Pavilion
Alphabet Soup D Moonshine
Alphabet Soup E My Kind of Town
Alphabet Soup G High Winds
Alphabet Soup H Mueller Farm
Alphabet Soup I Winter Friendly
Alphabet Soup K Push My Stomach (I can't wait to see the container for this one)
Alphabet Soup L Noisy Kettle
Alphabet Soup M Aye, Aye, Captain
Alphabet Soup N Tiger in the Woods
Alphabet Soup O Wonderful
Alphabet Soup P Quarry
Alphabet Soup S Big Jar
Alphabet Soup T Ravine
Alphabet Soup V Thresher
Alphabet Soup Z Holz Farm
Creekwood
Don't Fall In II
Just Plain Mean
The Color Purple

Also, due to containers turning up missing, I archived two others yesterday:
Alphabet Soup A Beachview
Alphabet Soup U Tanks a Lot !

So there you go.

Thanks for the list. I have to finishe the Alphabet Soup Series real quick now!
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
Following Paklid's lead here are the caches I plan on removing in early October (end of the tick season!)

Stonehenge GCKFZR: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=b800b90c-7d23-4e4d-9162-2cbcc931cb6e

Over the Hills and Far Away GCMA8K: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=14cdad14-b59b-4d0a-b113-cb7fa9e79f09

All Along the Watertower GCNWMK: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=529dc124-db38-4052-bbf3-25c667cf21ae

Got these on my list to finish real quick like!
DeltaMikeAlpha
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I understand how difficult it would be to implement this on an official basis and how time-consuming for someone. Maybe the two recent posts reflect the only realistic way to do it... have a thread where folks can post their soon to be archived caches if they so choose.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
There is a similar (old) thread that I started here somewhere about listing archived caches (with a little different twist)

http://www.mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1037
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
There is a similar (old) thread that I started here somewhere about listing archived caches (with a little different twist)

KEWL Idea. I like it. I'm sure MI might be kind enough to share how they built theres and we could run from there. I'd be willing to volunteer to help in anyway I could to get this project up and running.

It'd take some time but we could include all the old caches that we aren't sure of being removed. I'd be willing to just starting going through and looking and making a list, contacting owners, etc to build the database up. Great way to clean up the area from old containers, get soem CITO, and "finds".

My questions is when MI says, "An admin will verify your find and grant you credit for your find." what do they mean. Ie is it making sure no one else has claimed a find on the same cache, verifying that you are in the right area, etc. If the first offer to help by looking up caches isn't needed I'd be willing to work this side of things once we know all the details or do both.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for mentioning those paklid, I'll have to get out to do those puzzle caches soon then.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamoCacher wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
Pear Head wrote:

KEWL Idea. I like it.

Moved this discussion to the original thread linked above.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be archived by the end of summer:

GCH55N Thorny Experience
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9d90cd6b-dda7-43dc-a056-faa5fb4e2eec

GCJ4HJ Walk in the Park
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7da88dde-f487-424a-950f-1079b74cec9e

GCJ4HA Out Bill's Back Door
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=b331e2e3-206e-4a79-b673-1ca9f5e338dc

GCJ4TG Hilltop Adventure
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=593ad3d2-0acd-49b6-85e7-6296843106e1

Archived Today due to Mugglers

GCNPTH Arctic Airborne's Nursery
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: