MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stearns County , Mississippi River Fun Day.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Stearns County , Mississippi River Fun Day. Reply with quote

Central Minnesota Cachers or anyone else interested. The DNR got a request for help and I am passing it on. I think there maybe a chance of using State Park GPSr units for this. Contact me if you are interested.

Event Background Information
The DNR Central Region is planning a family friendly outreach event for Saturday, August 8, 2009, from 9 AM to 4 PM in Stearns County's Mississippi River County Park.
We initiated the event to focus attention on the central corridor of the Mississippi River, and to connect people with nature. The event is in partnership with Stearns County Parks, Stearns County Soil and Water Conservation District (SWCD), and St. Cloud State University (SCSU).

Some of the activities planned/proposed include: a laser shooting range (DNR Enforcement), fish netting/electro shocking/fish identification (DNR Fisheries), DNR outreach programs (such as Fishing in the Neighborhood (FiN), Project Learning Tree, Project Wild, and Project Wet), and nature photography (U of M Extension, 4-H Youth Development). The event will also include the opportunity to participate in guided canoe trips down a stretch of the Mississippi River (SCSU will be handling this activity).

In addition, other entities are supporting the event by providing or assisting with activities, and/or providing resources. They include local Sportmen's Club's, the Raptor Center (bird exhibits/demonstrations), and two local Master Naturalists (providing nature/interpretive walks).

We would really like to introduce event participants to geocaching as way to get people outdoors and connect with nature.

Location/Information on Mississippi River County Park
The park is located 6 miles north of Sartell on CSAH 1. It is 209 acres in size, has 1.3 miles of frontage on the Mississippi River, 1.1 miles of roadway, an open-air picnic shelter, two open play and picnic areas, 2.5 miles of year-round trails, 1 mile of winter only trails, a disc golf course, boat launch, and prairie restoration site. One-third of the park is forested. It has a water pump near the shelter, and portable toilets. The site does not have electricity (we will be bringing in a generator for the laser shooting for the day of the event).
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.... sounds like this is going to be a large event. Just wondering if anyone would like to help out with teaching people to use a GPS and walk them through some caches. It sounds like we might have about 17 GPRs but currently only have a couple people that are able to help out at the event.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: