MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding GC.com icons as Smileys?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanNMissy
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Adding GC.com icons as Smileys? Reply with quote

Is this something an admin is interested in doing? The image URL for downloading is:

Code:

http://www.geocaching.com/images/WptTypes/#.gif

Where the # is the name of the icon, which are all numbers.

2.gif is for a normal cache, 3 is for a multi, 4 is for a virtual, 5 is a letter icon, (Envelope) 6 is a dialog box bubble, 7 and 9 are an APE looking box. 8 is for the Unknown Cache, 13 is the CITO logo, 21 is for a TB, and 23 is a generic geocoin logo.

The images need to be placed in the phpbb/images/smileys folder then setup in the admin control panel.

That way, instead of typing :

Code:

[img]http://www.geocaching.com/images/WptTypes/2.gif[/img][url=http://coord.info/GC1CMXN]It's Almost Over 2![/url]

You get this:

Code:

:regcache:[url=http://coord.info/GC1CMXN]It's Almost Over 2![/url]

Which either way will look like this:

It's Almost Over 2!

Keep in mind, the 1st code example would more than likely be typed out, and take more time than example 2. Don't know about you, but I prefer as many shortcuts as I can get!

There are many, many more icons on the CG.com site, lots for special Geocoins and stuff. Dunno how many would be useful here, but they are there, you just need to look for them. Very Happy
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this idea and am surprised it hasn't been suggested before!
IanNMissy
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need me to out together a zip of the icons, let me know, I can get one together pretty quick, with the basic cache types, and the others from the list above.
IanNMissy
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one else has any input?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanNMissy wrote:

You got stroked and sign off from the top dog. None of what the rest of us says matters. except we could discuss the borrowing of copyrighted images from gc.com Wink Laughing
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
IanNMissy wrote:

You got stroked and sign off from the top dog. None of what the rest of us says matters. except we could discuss the borrowing of copyrighted images from gc.com Wink Laughing

I haven't spoken with the top dog yet as I haven't had time to look at this much, but if we had to host the images then I would be concerned.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this idea. But we'd have to request permission to copy the images. You could avoid copying them if you make a minor change to the php.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
IanNMissy wrote:

I got a good chuckle out of this.

Despite what bflentje says, in matters regarding to visual aesthetics of the website I defer to our webmasters and our membership... after all, you have to use it Cool

If for some reason we cannot use the geocaching.com images, we do have some talented graphic artists who might be able to lend us their services. Razz

Last edited by LucidOndine on Fri May 15, 2009 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MnGCA has been granted use of all of the geocaching.com cache icons for local consumption; I'll leave it up to our webmasters now to make the final call and implement. Very Happy
IanNMissy
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fantastic!
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding GC.com icons as Smileys? Reply with quote

IanNMissy wrote:

Code:

:regcache:[url=http://coord.info/GC1CMXN]It's Almost Over 2![/url]

I'm not sure if it could be done but wouldn't it be cool if you could just type
Code:

:regcache::GC1CMXN:

and it magically becomes
Code:

[img]http://www.geocaching.com/images/WptTypes/2.gif[/img][url=http://coord.info/GC1CMXN]GC1CMXN[/url]

pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding GC.com icons as Smileys? Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
I'm not sure if it could be done but wouldn't it be cool if you could just type
Code:

:regcache::GC1CMXN:

and it magically becomes
Code:

[img]http://www.geocaching.com/images/WptTypes/2.gif[/img][url=http://coord.info/GC1CMXN]GC1CMXN[/url]

I had the same idea. I actually thought someone had done that already since people kept posting links to caches using the same format with the little icons.

It seems like it would just be a couple of lines of PHP, but then you'd have a little extra work when upgrading the forum software. How often do you do that?

The smiley thing by itself seems like a piece of cake and would not cause any upgrade problems, but it would be nice to have both.
IanNMissy
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine is a web admin, and he takes care of our forums... We've got some bb code to enter to link to a central database of WoW related items, spells and abilities.. I'm sure we might be able to get something similar here. let me look into it.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanNMissy wrote:
A friend of mine is a web admin, and he takes care of our forums... We've got some bb code to enter to link to a central database of WoW related items, spells and abilities.. I'm sure we might be able to get something similar here. let me look into it.

Do we allow World of Warcraft players to participate here?? Ok, just kidding, we do. I suppose you're Level 60 purple??

Back on track here, I can't imagine why the PHP code couldn't be modified easily by PH. I don't know anything phpBB but if I had coded it, these things would be stored in a macro table and you'd be able to add all you want... maybe this board does that.
IanNMissy
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a very casual WoW player. Wink (i.e NOT level 80)

I was talking to my friend, and he's going to do some looking into this for me. We've concluded it is possible, but what it'll take with PHPBB to scrape the data we want from gc.com or coords.info is unknown. this board is very similar yet very different from vBulletin. (And cheaper)

BTW - phpbb version 3 is out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Website All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: