MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Biking and caching

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Biking and caching Reply with quote

My brother recently showed this to me and I'm hoping others can get some use out of it too.

Being a poor college student, I do a lot of my caching by bike. Over the past 2 years, I have been looking for ways to make the planning of caching and biking trips a little easier, and I finally found the ticket:

http://www.mapmyride.com/

The most difficult planning has been bike trails where it is tough to do a "cache along a route", especially circles like the Grand Rounds tour. With this website, you can search existing routes or create your own. You can then save it as a .gpx file and download it directly to your GPSr. What is even better is that you can download it as a .kml Google Earth file and upload it to the "caches along a route" page. This allows you to search for caches within x miles or a route that is completely customized instead of just a typical start to finish route.
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great site. Thanks for sharing.
Kurt Franke
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also ride bike and geocache whenever I can. I wasn't aware of this site. Thanks for sharing it.

Kurt
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have to start as I am seeing the cost of gas skyrocket!
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found a route that I will be biking on friday that starts in Shakopee and goes up and around Lake Minnetonka. It is road biking, but it will be great fun. I will be pretty close to the Wherigo, so I will hopefully nab that too. It is a great way to bike around cities when a state bike trail isnt available.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All, please be safe biking out there. We just had a family friend killed down in Mankato when he came off a bike path into oncoming traffic. Biker with helmet vs. SUV. SUV wins every time.

All, I'm saying is stay alert and when on the bike stay focused on biking and safety and not necessarilly the GPSr. It might keep you alive.
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
All, please be safe biking out there. We just had a family friend killed down in Mankato when he came off a bike path into oncoming traffic. Biker with helmet vs. SUV. SUV wins every time.

All, I'm saying is stay alert and when on the bike stay focused on biking and safety and not necessarilly the GPSr. It might keep you alive.

Good call. Especially with the 3 bicyclists that have been hit in Minneapolis this past month. Theoretically, biking should be safe, but if you dont think cars look for motorcycles, try being on a bike. It leaves it up to the bicyclist to be on the defensive. Luckily in suburbia, many many roads have wide shoulders or even sidewalks along them.

Thanks AA
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:

Thank you. I always avoid riding the road just because of this. I wish the riders downtown did the same Wink

BTW, by your statement "biker vs. SUV", there is an implication that the evil SUV came alive and killed the biker. Fact is, the DRIVERS of the vehicles are the only things that can be assigned blame. SUVs are not inherently evil Laughing Laughing Laughing It's like, guns don't kill people, people kill people. Ok, just having some fun.
Kurt Franke
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it would have been fairer if it had been stated it as "bike vs SUV" or "biker vs SUV driver"? I own a bike and an SUV and am sympathetic to both. I try to follow the rules of the road regardless of which one I am driving. Still, I tend to be abit more defensive on my bike. It's a simple matter of physics.

I have a more light hearted story of Bike vs SUV. My son was coming home with his bike on the roof rack of the SUV. He forgot, driving into the garage and shearing off the bike and rack. In this case the biker and the SUV driver where the same person!

Kurt
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt Franke wrote:
Maybe it would have been fairer if it had been stated it as "bike vs SUV" or "biker vs SUV driver"? I own a bike and an SUV and am sympathetic to both. I try to follow the rules of the road regardless of which one I am driving. Still, I tend to be abit more defensive on my bike. It's a simple matter of physics.

I have a more light hearted story of Bike vs SUV. My son was coming home with his bike on the roof rack of the SUV. He forgot, driving into the garage and shearing off the bike and rack. In this case the biker and the SUV driver where the same person!

Kurt

Ouch. I've "almost" done the same thing with the luggage rack.

And maybe SUVs are getting a bad rap. I contend if you're playing with physics, a Chevette is just as deadly. Maybe it should be bike vs. vehicle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: