MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Big Stone Beware

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Big Stone Beware Reply with quote

I thought everyone should be aware.. check out my log at Big Stone Lake State Park Wildlife Safari.

I posted my log because I thought that something strange was happening during our visit to the park. Obviously, I added more dramatic flare to my log by bringing up the word axe murderer. But I didn't think anything of it after I wrote my log until this morning I was contacted by Big Stone Lake park management. They were asking me questions about it, not knowing what was up. After having told my story, I was told that there is in fact some weirdo running the park and that Big Stone County Sheriff's office has been notified of my story.

Strange stuff. BEWARE.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a snippet of my story I sent to park management.. might be good for you all to know how it went down for us.
--

- I didn't notice anything unusual at stage 1 (kiosk) of the geocache.
- We drove down to stage #2. As we were searching around, some guy drove down into the boat landing area, very slowly circling around, with a very steady gaze in our direction, watching our every move. He parked behind the only truck and boat trailer in the lot at the time, what seemed like never letting his eyes off of us.
- We left and proceeded to the final stage of the geocache. As we were parking, the truck slowly followed behind us quite a ways but didn't take the left turn into the lot towards the cache, but kept going towards the campground.
- As we were searching for the cache, I heard the truck. At some point he turned around and then pulled into the little parking lot. It looked like he was still snooping on us but I couldn't tell for sure.
- He then proceded to park about 100' from my vehicle and sat there a moment.
- After a few moments, probably a minute or two, he then got out of his truck and stood there behind the door.
- It looked like he was removing clothes at the point we were leaving.
- I have no idea if he was changing clothes or what (worse?). We didn't stick around long enough to find out.
- There's was no chance he was following us out as I admit to tearing out there pretty quickly, leaving a cloud of gravel as I tore out.

I don't know if he meant any harm or not. It was just extremely creepy the way he followed us around, only to start removing clothes having parked within 100' of my truck. You'd think that if he was just changing his clothes for whatever reason, that he would have been more discrete.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Park response, note the part I highlighted..
--

Thanks very much for letting me know what happened. I'm sorry that this
incident occurred, normally we are a very nice, quiet park with little
history of enforcement/security concerns. I am in contact with the local
sheriff's office and we will be sorting this situation out. We had a
complaint about this gentleman from another party on Saturday as well.

Good luck with the rest of the state park caches, and thanks again.

Joanne Svendsen
Big Stone Lake State Park
35889 Meadowbrook St. Pk. Rd.
Ortonville MN 56278

ph 320-839-3663
fx 320-839-3676
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he's a Magellan user trying to get to Crosby Smile

Creepy story-- hope it all gets sorted out.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear that they were proactive about it. It's also nice to hear that it got moved up the chain from your gc.com log on it's own.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I'm glad to hear that they were proactive about it. It's also nice to hear that it got moved up the chain from your gc.com log on it's own.

Yes. I just wrote my log and moved on not even thinking much of it. I was surprised when they contacted me.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Pear Head wrote:

Yes. I just wrote my log and moved on not even thinking much of it. I was surprised when they contacted me.

They have been contacting folks this year...especially from the State Level to the Local (Park) level...there have been a number of logs that have been forwarded from the State to park staff a Whitewater about Whitewater and Carley State Park Caches...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: