MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dakota County Parks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Bunganator
Geocacher


Joined: 09 Apr 2008

Posts: 277

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to court, can we make it an event cache?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=21328&log=y
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4030

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunganator wrote:
If you go to court, can we make it an event cache?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=21328&log=y


Cute. At least mine was not on private property and was not blown up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
knowschad
Geocacher


Joined: 20 Jun 2005

Posts: 470

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is MNGCA as an official capacity looking into this? Should we be writing letters at this point, and if so, to whom, and should we be addressing Bart's cache in particular, caching in Dakota County parks in general, or both?
_________________
Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Don't drink & deriv
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jam3s
Geocacher


Joined: 26 Oct 2008

Posts: 842

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Bunganator wrote:
If you go to court, can we make it an event cache?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=21328&log=y


Cute. At least mine was not on private property and was not blown up.


Hey Bart,

I think that what they mean is that you have our support, you just need to let us know what direction you would like us to go.
_________________
~~ I was told all I needed was a GPS. I wanted everything else. ~~
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 29 Oct 2007

Posts: 1991

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:
Is MNGCA as an official capacity looking into this? Should we be writing letters at this point, and if so, to whom, and should we be addressing Bart's cache in particular, caching in Dakota County parks in general, or both?


To the question about the MnGCA in an official capacity looking into this. Yes, I have been discussing this with Bart in private. We are here ready and willing to assist him. At this point, and I agree, he's dealing with them directly until we figure out where this is heading.

As for writing letters, etc, as a tax payer, I can't stop you from doing that. However, I'd like to see where this goes before we rock the boat with letters and/or phone calls. I'm hoping it doesn't need to come to that.
_________________
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
knowschad
Geocacher


Joined: 20 Jun 2005

Posts: 470

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="speedysk1"]
knowschad wrote:
Is MNGCA as an official As for writing letters, etc, as a tax payer, I can't stop you from doing that. However, I'd like to see where this goes before we rock the boat with letters and/or phone calls. I'm hoping it doesn't need to come to that.


Exactly why I posed that question. If and when the time comes, I will be glad to write, but also think that it would be good to have some degree of common direction in what we say and how we say it.
_________________
Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Don't drink & deriv
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 09 May 2004

Posts: 656

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:
Dunno if it'll help, but I believe that Lebanon Hills has been using the account that wrote this log to keep track of caches for years now:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=d363698a-1c42-4a31-b6ec-49b999f2466c


here's another log indicating park staff do get around to visiting these caches:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=acf6fc54-fc0a-4867-95bd-96fac09c7615
_________________
-Paklid
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
knowschad
Geocacher


Joined: 20 Jun 2005

Posts: 470

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paklid wrote:
knowschad wrote:
Dunno if it'll help, but I believe that Lebanon Hills has been using the account that wrote this log to keep track of caches for years now:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=d363698a-1c42-4a31-b6ec-49b999f2466c


here's another log indicating park staff do get around to visiting these caches:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=acf6fc54-fc0a-4867-95bd-96fac09c7615


Wasn't aware of that one, but I know I've seen others in Lebanon Hills before. Just can't remember which caches they were. All have been in Leb Hills, though, and not Dakota County specifically.
_________________
Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Don't drink & deriv
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4030

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:
Paklid wrote:
knowschad wrote:
Dunno if it'll help, but I believe that Lebanon Hills has been using the account that wrote this log to keep track of caches for years now:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=d363698a-1c42-4a31-b6ec-49b999f2466c


here's another log indicating park staff do get around to visiting these caches:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=acf6fc54-fc0a-4867-95bd-96fac09c7615


Wasn't aware of that one, but I know I've seen others in Lebanon Hills before. Just can't remember which caches they were. All have been in Leb Hills, though, and not Dakota County specifically.


Dan, you too have an interest in this case. Last I checked, you are a frequent visitor to Dakota County parks and have a few caches placed too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4030

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Tonka_Boy's note, I was thinking about what people could do in support of me and caching in Dakota County. Leave your positive comments on my county caches in support of Dakota County caching, particularly on the cache in question, Coughin Up A Lung.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
knowschad
Geocacher


Joined: 20 Jun 2005

Posts: 470

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="bflentje"][quote="knowschad"]
Paklid wrote:

Dan, you too have an interest in this case. Last I checked, you are a frequent visitor to Dakota County parks and have a few caches placed too.


Oh, absolutely I do! But I don't think we should all start shooting off emails without first discussing the direction we want to head in. I personally would like to see Dakota County retain their current (or former) hands-off stance, and I'd like to see any letters or email to them to encourage that stance.
_________________
Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Don't drink & deriv
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
knowschad
Geocacher


Joined: 20 Jun 2005

Posts: 470

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Dakota County Parks Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Just for the record, Dakota County Park System does NOT have a geocaching policy. But they obviously do know the sport takes place within the park and they have watched listings in the past. They even mention geocaching in their 30 year plan here.


To further support that they are aware of caching in their parks, see this page on Silent Bob's website regarding CITO in Thompson Park:

http://www.lazylightning.org/mngcadakota-county-parks-international-cito-day-thompson-county-park-west-st-paul-mn

Quote:

We had contacted Dakota County to see if they had any suggestions for us. Thompson County Park, because of its location and easy access from a major highway, is their most littered in park.

We had a 10AM start time and most people were showing up a little after 9:30. Dakota County had kindly supplied us with trash bags, gloves, snacks, and water as well as offered to pick up any of the trash bags after we were done.


_________________
Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Don't drink & deriv
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4030

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After spending quite a bit of time on the phone talking with Sgt. McGinn today, I've concluded this entire issue has nothing to do with geocaching and has EVERYTHING to do with saving face. Saving face because the 15 year old, the kids parents, and the responding law enforcement officer did NOT do ANY due diligence before overreacting.

The amount of misinformation coming from the Sheriff's Department is unbelievable. First they tried to tell me I violated their geocaching policy and didn't have a permit. We all know a policy does not exist and that there is no permit process. Today, McGinn told me that they could also cite me for digging and disturbing the soil because the cache was allegedly covered with soil. Their VERY own picture posted on the Sheriff's newsletter proves that is complete bunk.. check it out for yourselves.

THESE ARE YOUR COUNTY OFFICIALS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 30 Nov 2005

Posts: 672

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Their VERY own picture posted on the Sheriff's newsletter proves that is complete bunk.. check it out for yourselves.


http://www.co.dakota.mn.us/NR/rdonlyres/00002cfe/mevfsuiyxtldevtgkoleyfdrbtspafks/Volume4Week49.pdf

-Jonas
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 29 Oct 2007

Posts: 1991

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
After spending quite a bit of time on the phone talking with Sgt. McGinn today, I've concluded this entire issue has nothing to do with geocaching and has EVERYTHING to do with saving face....


I suspect you are correct, but what's to save? No one is taking them to task or calling the media or in general making them look bad. I don't get it. They should just return the cache and move on. Now they definitely know about caching and may think before the react next time.
_________________
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 2 of 19

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Geocaching Cache Icons, Copyright 2009, Groundspeak Inc. All rights reserved. Used with Permission.