MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dakota County Parks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
Paklid wrote:
the county reviewer/approver takes on the responsibility inherent with the process.

Just to play devil's advocate here, but where does SJ's responsibility fall in this? I honestly don't think I know the answer and would be interested in the discussion.

To me he's not liable any more than Groundspeak, which has a disclaimer that is shown when you load cache pages (which doesn't mean much either IMHO). I'd be interested in a discussion as well as a lawyer's take on it, although I'm not aware of any lawyers that are currently active in the organization (that are willing to speak up).

Just idly curious are you? Wink

LOL Laughing
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUSTED!!! Laughing
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went through the registration process with Dakota County for a cache placement in Lebanon Hills.

The online form takes a couple minutes to fill out. I had some issues with uploading a picture of the cache. It kept giving me errors that didn't make sense. Then I figured out my picture was too big. A low res version of the .jpg uploaded well. After hearing nothing - - I contacted Alicia with the DC parks. She works out of the visitor's center at Lebanon Hills and receives the cache registration forms. Turns out if I would have just waited for her to say, "It's OK to publish the cache as far as Dakota County is concerned" - I would have waited a long time. They expect to contact people only if they see a problem (they acknowledge they don't have the staff to dig into all this stuff).

So the process boiled down to filling out an online form (with no picture required). Hit submit. Then go ahead and submit the GC.com cache page for that Fruitcake guy to review as normal. He has the "forbidden zones" to compare against your ground zero so he can determine if you're out of bounds established by the county.

Assuming the cache is not in one of the bad spots identified by the county or has anything wrong that would have prevented its publication anywhere else, the extra headache amounts to about two minutes of typing on an online form. Of course for this first one and the troubles and misconceptions I had, days have been spent in limbo that evidently could have been avoided.
TECGeoJim
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Dakota County News & Events:

A blank canvas
The new regional park in Empire Township is a blank canvas for planning new and different recreational activities, experiences and facilities in our own backyard. What would you like to see included there? Give us your input.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/dakotaparks
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TECGeoJim wrote:

A blank canvas
The new regional park in Empire Township is a blank canvas for planning new and different recreational activities, experiences and facilities in our own backyard. What would you like to see included there? Give us your input.

Is there an option in the survey to just leave the parks natural as God made them, and keep our taxes down by doing so? Laughing OK... I suppose not.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TECGeoJim wrote:

A blank canvas

Done.

For the last question about what special thing the new park should have that no one else would think of, I added a new zip-line course.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
For the last question about what special thing the new park should have that no one else would think of, I added a new zip-line course.

OOOOOH! Great answer! Can I use it too?
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
bflentje wrote:

OOOOOH! Great answer! Can I use it too?
Maybe if we all suggest it, it'll get done! I mean, isn't it pretty obvious that Dakota County Parks has money to burn?
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just completed it as well. The gist of my comments was, put in trails and get the heck out. But I did put in my vote for the zip line . I hope that didn't negate the rest of my survey! Razz
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, after our County Attorney James Backstron promised he wasn't going to run again, I saw the dude's name on the ballot yesterday. I wrote myself in his place.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny... I wrote you in, too, Bart!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:

That means I got at least 5 votes. LOL.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
knowschad wrote:

That means I got at least 5 votes. LOL.

That'll make them stand up and take notice!
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who at Dakota County can I talk to about this? Also, who are the elected officials that were part of the decision to come up with this wasteful and expensive solution to a non-problem? I want names and phone numbers. Don't worry... I won't be yelling, but I do want to make my opinion known, and to those that matter.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:
Who at Dakota County can I talk to about this? Also, who are the elected officials that were part of the decision to come up with this wasteful and expensive solution to a non-problem? I want names and phone numbers. Don't worry... I won't be yelling, but I do want to make my opinion known, and to those that matter.

Find the Park Commissioner on the county website. Start at the TOP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 17 of 19

Jump to: