MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where did you get that name?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
Secret of the Ages. And even though you just had a birthday. Your not old enough to know. Laughing Happy Birthday

Thanks! I'll take your comment as a complement Wink Not being old isn't a problem for me heh.

Silent Bob
JT
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Where did you get that name? Reply with quote

WicketsWanderingPonyPatro wrote:
So there is 40 below wind chill and I'm bored. Saxton asked a question that I'll repeat here, it could be to see the answers.

Where /How did you get your handle, caching name, nick name or what ever you you care to call it. I'll go first.

Well, I went and got my Ham Radio operator's license last spring and that was the call sign I was issued by the FCC "KC0QEG" i have since started signing logs by my initials J.T.

There you have it..... nothing too fancy

-JT
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Where did you get that name? Reply with quote

KC0QEG wrote:
i have since started signing logs by my initials J.T.
-JT

If this means we can start calling you JT, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Smile
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Where did you get that name? Reply with quote

R.J. wrote:
If this means we can start calling you JT, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Smile

No, we still have to call him KC0QEG. He just put JT there to confuse us.

Silent Bob
Joelcam
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I'm JT too. OK, I won't use my initials since my brother beat me to it. I'll stick to Joelcam, which is what the folks on the WCCO-TV morning news call me when they refer to my live picture out in the field from where ever I'm at that morning. They wanted to add more live elements to show what was happening during the newscast and someone said, "Let's use Joelcam." It's stuck ever since.
Since my first cache experience was for a story we did on the morning news show about geocaching, I logged my first find as Joelcam.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a special link ready for the "6deg" graph for anybody that gets sighted and broadcast geocaching by the WCCO "Joelcam". With a bonus color if they have to blur the picture in any way.

-Rick
JT
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:
I have a special link ready for the "6deg" graph for anybody that gets sighted and broadcast geocaching by the WCCO "Joelcam". With a bonus color if they have to blur the picture in any way.

-Rick

Hmmm Seems like an interesting challenge. Ill have to work on that one..... I bet with the winter medalion hunt comming up, Someone is bound to be featured in one of his "live shots". Just an idea.... Surprised
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MrFixit246
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My moniker comes from what I do for a living. I fix people who don't know how to operate their furnaces and appliances. (sometimes it's actually the appliance that is broke). I work for a large local repair service and get to drive around all day and cache during lunch. You can probably tell where I usually work by the caches I have found.

MrFixit246
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
team-deadhead
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My turn as you might haved guessed I like the Grateful Dead. Sometimes I go caching alone or with one or more of my three kids and wife. So my name became Team-Deadhead. http://www.dead.net/
Wo-oh, what I want to know is, are you kind?
pogopod
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: What's in a name Reply with quote

When my wife to be and I made the decision to wed, we talked about making a new name since both of our names were hard to pronounce or remember. pogopod is a combination of the two. We never used it, but we still joke about it.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My story is long and not very interesting.

Back when I was in Junior High, a friend of mine was on Prodigy. At this time, I was on CompuServe, and neither of us used these services for Internet use (as they weren't really connected to the internet, and WWW hadn't really taken off yet either)... my use of the Internet at this time deserves another story, but anyway...

This friend of mine at the time, Pat, met a girl in some Teen Forum on Prodigy. This is the days before chat was available for the non-übergeek and they wrote back and forth via correspondence. It became to be pretty crazy, and they snail-mailed photos of each other (think before digital camera/scanner days)...

...as it ends up, he's just starting 9th Grade and over Thanksgiving holiday it's arranged to meet this girl he met online. Not only was it an incredibly strange and bizarre thing at the time (this was 1993 if I remember correctly), he was in JUNIOR HIGH meeting this girl. The kicker? She was in Pennsylvania. Her family was wealthy, and I believe they paid for half of the plane ticket, and he was able to stay in his own room with own bathroom, etc. at their home.

Now, you know how kids are at that age... especially if you haven't "dated" much at 9th grade... they don't know how to act. What does this girl do? Basically snub him.

He's a bit ticked off, but at the same time he got to ride in a next year's Porsche and had a good Thanksgiving Dinner if my memory serves me.

At the last day, this girl was opening up a bit more to him and being more social... and they visited a friend of hers, Jessica Saxton. My friend Pat now, being a bit annoyed by the situation still, started lying to this Jessica Saxton... talking about his friend Aaron back in Minnesota... making claims like:

"He knows like 20 languages...," "He's hacked the Pentagon, after he changed all of his grades...," "He can read people's personalities based off their handwriting," "He always calls Europe for free..." and a LOT of other garbage. This Jessica Saxton, though, was like "OH MY GOSH!" and buying every bit of the nonsense. She wants Pat to prove all of this, so he takes an old Spanish test of hers home with him.

He comes home, tells me the story, we're laughing our asses off, and I hang the spanish test on my bulletin board as a memento of the story. Of course, when message got back to her that I knew she was an AC/DC fan and I could describe the kinds of friends she had, from what I remember she was still impressed.

What a gullible person.

Well, at least that's how I was told the story from Pat, and he had a habit of making the truth more interesting than it was. I'll likely never know the whole story about his stories about me to Jessica Saxton, who he met only one day.

Point being, I was looking for a new handle/alias one day as my childhood one was worn out. At the time, most people that I knew on BBSes and on newsgroups all had dumb hacker-esque names or sci-fi influenced stuff... and I wanted something neutral, and something that didn't have a preconceived meaning with most people, and when people saw "Saxton," and didn't know a "Saxton" otherwise, they would think of me, and not... Captain_Kirk or RaZoRHaX0r666 or something.

And it worked. I started using Saxton for everything.

...and I remember the days when saxton.com was available. At the time, I was like, "why the heck would I need a domain name? Silly!" Because it was very rare for an individual to own a domain name. I wasn't a university nor a company, so what's the point, I thought. Sure enough, when the Internet grew and how the internet was being used was changing quite a bit, saxton.com, .net and .org were taken. I settled changing my a into a 4 and got s4xton.com. I've been s4xton ever since.

It's also unique to the point, that if you do a Google search for s4xton, all but one or two of the results are about me.

Whew, hopefully I'll never have to tell the story again. I wish it was more exciting.

What would be exciting, though, is to perhaps find and meet this Jessica Saxton girl... (er woman I guess) now.

-Aaron
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have split off the digression into Ms. Saxton's whereabouts. It can be found in Non Geocaching Discussions.

(And yes - I started the whole thing!)
Razz
sasuke
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In college, I had a friend from Japan. He used the name Sasuke on some Famicom (Japanese Nintendo) RPG games we played. I liked the name and started using it myself in video games and then online.

Chris
goucher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My nickname for my daughter is Goocher. When my brother in law took me to my first cache, she was with me and I had to think of a name. When I went to register, Goocher was taken, and I typed it a different way and it took. So now we are Goucher... I have no idea how to pronounce it though Laughing
With nobody inside them! -seuss
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Eagleyes and Bird dog Reply with quote

My husband is BIRD DOG- an ex- orienteeering coach, he takes one look at the GPS and points the way. I tag along, but once he gets to the spot, I have the "eagle-eye" to find the cache.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: