MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SMS Notifications from Geocaching.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wylbur
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: SMS Notifications from Geocaching.com Reply with quote

I'm looking for information on receiving notifications of newly posted geocaches via my cell phone. I am a premium member, and created a notification for published caches. I get the notification, but it does not contain enough information to find the cache. Do I need to get a web enabled phone? Adding the coordinates would be enough!
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: SMS Notifications from Geocaching.com Reply with quote

Wylbur wrote:
I'm looking for information on receiving notifications of newly posted geocaches via my cell phone. I am a premium member, and created a notification for published caches. I get the notification, but it does not contain enough information to find the cache. Do I need to get a web enabled phone? Adding the coordinates would be enough!

Yeah, you'll need a web enabled phone to get the coordinates from the cache page. Before I got a Blackberry, I wrote a program to intercept the email notification, look up the cache page, parse out the bits of information I needed (coordinates, size, difficulty) and send myself a text message. I still do that but now there is a link in the text message to go to the cache page if I need to.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: SMS Notifications from Geocaching.com Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
Wylbur wrote:

Yeah, you'll need a web enabled phone to get the coordinates from the cache page. Before I got a Blackberry, I wrote a program to intercept the email notification, look up the cache page, parse out the bits of information I needed (coordinates, size, difficulty) and send myself a text message. I still do that but now there is a link in the text message to go to the cache page if I need to.

And screen-scraping gc.com is a violation of terms. Good thing none of us is doing that..
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: SMS Notifications from Geocaching.com Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
GeoPierce wrote:
Wylbur wrote:

And screen-scraping gc.com is a violation of terms. Good thing none of us is doing that..

I pay my $3 a month. They can block my ip if they don't like it. Smile
Wylbur
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Found the Answer to my own question - TextMarks! Reply with quote

Follow the instructions here.
http://coord.info/textmark.aspx

You sign up for the service and register your phone on the GC.com website.

To get info on a new cache, send a text to 41411. Text is GEOC @[gc code]

You get a response almost instantly with
GC code
status
cache name
difficult/terrain
Coordinates
cache type
cache size

I get the GC number with the notification, and now I can find the cache! This does take 2 text messages, and plugging the coords into the GPS just to see if it is close though.

Check out that link, there are also other options, and you can add field notes this way too.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Found the Answer to my own question - TextMarks! Reply with quote

Wylbur wrote:

You sign up for the service and register your phone on the GC.com website.

To get info on a new cache, send a text to 41411. Text is GEOC @[gc code]

You get a response almost instantly with
GC code
status
cache name
difficult/terrain
Coordinates
cache type
cache size

I get the GC number with the notification, and now I can find the cache! This does take 2 text messages, and plugging the coords into the GPS just to see if it is close though.

Check out that link, there are also other options, and you can add field notes this way too.

Any SPAM come with this?? Question
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Found the Answer to my own question - TextMarks! Reply with quote

timewellspent wrote:
Wylbur wrote:

Any SPAM come with this?? Question

Your blackberry isn't getting the job done? Seems like a pain to have to jump through all those hoops.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Found the Answer to my own question - TextMarks! Reply with quote

Wylbur wrote:
This does take 2 text messages, and plugging the coords into the GPS just to see if it is close though.

Doesn't the email notification contain the distance/direction from your home coordinates?
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not 2 hi-jack this thread, but it seems like the place 2 ask my question... why don't i get the email notification of my local cache publications anymore? it's been over 3 months. i'm still a premium member, paying my 3 bucks a month. Peace
Wylbur
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: SMS Notification Reply with quote

The notification I set up is actually an email that gets sent to the phone as a text message. Your cvell phone has an email address associated with it, just use that email to get the notifications send to your phone rather than your email account.

The email from GC.com that goes to the phone contains the subject but not the body of the email. Take a look at the message source from a notification from GC.com, the body is generated from some code in the email.

So no you don't get the coordinates or the distance/direction from your home in the text message.

I am using a Siemens CF62 phone - a model from about 5 years ago. To get an email notice, then send a text to get the full details is pretty good considering.

Last edited by Wylbur on Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wylbur
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: The REAL Solution Reply with quote

The right solution would be for GC.com to provide notifications via email or SMS. Anyone ever heard of this idea being presented to GC.com?

It seems they have a hard enough time keeping the site running. This is by far the slowest - most unresponsive site I have encountered - and we pay $30 per year for this lousy service!
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: SMS Notification Reply with quote

Wylbur wrote:
So no you don't get the coordinates or the distance/direction from your home in the text message.

Oh, this is what I get (with the distance but no coordinates):

Quote:
This is an automated message from Geocaching

For GC1QN51: Muggleproof (Traditional Cache)
9.1mi E (14.6km E)
Surfer Joe published Muggleproof (Traditional Cache) at 4/28/2009

Log Date: 4/28/2009
Published

Visit this log entry at the below address:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=f2fb96ad-7cc0-4522-964d-f7d71793a094

Visit Traditional Cache
Muggleproof
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=511a663f-6016-4906-8e3a-70e29043337a

Profile for Surfer Joe:
http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=c2eb9d5d-d91e-4c38-8491-58183b934ffa

Notification: 55345
http://www.geocaching.com/notify/edit.aspx?NID=123456

Last edited by GeoPierce on Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The REAL Solution Reply with quote

Wylbur wrote:
The right solution would be for GC.com to provide notifications via email or SMS. Anyone ever heard of this idea being presented to GC.com?

They do have email notifications (my previous post shows what is sent): http://www.geocaching.com/notify/
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joboo wrote:
not 2 hi-jack this thread, but it seems like the place 2 ask my question... why don't i get the email notification of my local cache publications anymore? it's been over 3 months. i'm still a premium member, paying my 3 bucks a month. Peace

Maybe they are going in your spam folder? Try sending them to a different email address? Check your notification settings: http://www.geocaching.com/notify/
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The REAL Solution Reply with quote

Wylbur wrote:
It seems they have a hard enough time keeping the site running. This is by far the slowest - most unresponsive site I have encountered - and we pay $30 per year for this lousy service!

I think this thread is for you. Smile

http://mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4523
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: