MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AMMO CANS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: AMMO CANS Reply with quote

We have purchased several ammo cans, some for local cachers from Gander Mountain. I think they were about 5 bucks or less a can last fall for 50 cal. size. Is there other places in Duluth that carry ammo cans, something smaller and thinner ? It seems that Gander only seems to carry the big and fat 50cal size, at least whenever we are in town. Thanks in advance

H.K
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superior Shooters in Superior. You may have to ask although the last time I was there they had a number of various sizes (with more in their storage upstairs).
NeoAddict
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minnesota Surplus (with 2 locations in Duluth) carries a variety of sizes of ammo cans, at a pretty reasonable price. They have the skinny ammo cans, the fat ones, and I think the big flat ones too. Technical terms, I know. Rolling Eyes
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks PH and NA we will be back again in about 3 weeks for Killers 50th Birthday at our fiends place. Nice to know there are better places for ammo cans than Gander Mountain, although We both love that store. Just got to keep her away from walmart and we should get some numbers as far as caches go.
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the last 3 trips we have purchased many ammo cans from Minnesota surplus, we have told the owner about geocaching, and maybe someone local can help him cater to us cachers??? Today he gave us a deal ???? (He remembered us !!! from previous visits) based on the sticker price on 6 more30 cal cans and a deal on a 20 mm giant ammo can. This thing is huge, like a coleman cooler, Will we use it for a cache ??? probably not, but a heck of a conversation piece. Sure would be nice to tune this place in on geocaching, and cater to us cachers. He seemed real interested in caching. Good for him, good for us if he expanded and does provide caching supplies.

What really blew us away, back in April was the people he knew in Thunder Bay, that we also know, but he kept talking geocaching, so we spent some time telling him about the many real decent memorable places caching has taken us in the Minnesota area, and we have yet to scratch the surface, being new to the sport or hobby, we find this area a challenge for us flat landers. So how about it? would it not be nice to walk in a grab a few geo coins, ammo cans and a mn. log book? Just a thought.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of a deal did he give you?

I've been in there a couple of times looking specifically for cans (albeit a few years ago) but they've always been out of them when I'm there.

I think I have an idea about the size of the large can - I got one a number of years ago at a Fleet Farm and used it:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=335a48bc-5fc9-4550-9e6d-70068369df24
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He gave us a buck off each can and 5 bucks off the big one. He had quite a few 30 cal. and some 50 cal as well, and of course the giant 20mm cans. There are two stores, we go to the one at 218 W Superior Street. It is down stairs
The Hipster
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to be in town for the Duluth Area Geocaching Meeting #4,
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=4c8f1aef-a5ab-47c8-8c50-46d4dd493f04

I'll have to stop in & stock up on the big ones! Around here they mostly have the little guys. Thanks for the heads up! Do you know what their store hours are?
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(218) 727-3133 - Toll Free (877) 891-5743 - (218) 727-1333
CustomerService@minnsurplus.com

Downtown: 218 W. Superior St.- Duluth,MN 55802
Open: Mon - Thurs 9-5:30 - Friday 9-7
Saturday 9-5:30 - Sunday 11-4

Lincoln Park: 1910 W. Superior St.- Duluth,MN 55806
Open: Mon-Fri 9-5:30 - Saturday 9-5:30
Closed Sunday

Gander mountain also had the 50 cal size but brand new, never used, $19.95....ouch on the old wallet. I guess they only have used ones in the fall? We paid 5 bucks for them back then.
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glens in Grand Rapids has every size ammo can u can think of. that's where we get ours. my fav is a jumbo we'll b placing this fall. $7-$20 bucks, if i remember right. Peace
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked out Glen's in Grand Rapids, the price went up to 9.95 for 30 cal, 12.95 for 50 cal.
Minnesota surplus's prices went up also. 8.95 for 30 cal, only a few left, and some rusty ones for 7.95.

Superior shooters was the best deal, this trip, and almost like new. 7.00 bucks for 30 cal. and 9.00 for 50 cal. Again, the best we have seen as far as condition. Get them while they last.
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually order mine online.
I just received 10 from Burden Sales Surplus, great condition for a smudge under $90 including shipping.
navychief98
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: AMMO CANS Reply with quote

I have looked all over town. Gander Mountain is the only place I know to get the the BIG and FAT .50 cal ammo cans.

My daughter got me an ammo can for Christmas. Some might not say it is in ammo can because it is a little smaller than the ones that Gander Mountain sell.

I look online for Ammo Cans and feel you can get them at a good price and a variety of sizes.

Let us know if you find any other local sources here in Duluth. I will continue to keep my eyes open.
spd2662
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought them at Northern Tool last year. I don't know if they still sell them.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious if you checked out Superior Shooters? The last time I was there (which has been a few years) they had quite a selection, and I got the impression that it was more than a one-time buy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: