MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MN State Parks Wildlife Safari - Garden Island
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Bus&Betty wrote:
I remember there was discussion on whether those that completed the History Challenge needed to go to Garden Island for the Safari Challenge.

Was a decision ever made?

As far as I know it is required. But I've got nothing to base that on.

Andrew said that it is required to go to the park office with your card and they will give you the new one. You do not have to actually go out to the island.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
bflentje wrote:
Bus&Betty wrote:
I remember there was discussion on whether those that completed the History Challenge needed to go to Garden Island for the Safari Challenge.

Andrew said that it is required to go to the park office with your card and they will give you the new one. You do not have to actually go out to the island.

Course...if you only get a new card...did you actually find the cache...
Wink Wink Wink
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcherDragoon wrote:
Jam3s wrote:
bflentje wrote:
Bus&Betty wrote:

Wink Wink Wink

Yes, but you only need the card to complete the levels.. Wink
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
ArcherDragoon wrote:
Jam3s wrote:
bflentje wrote:
Bus&Betty wrote:

Wink Wink Wink

Yes, but you only need the card to complete the levels.. Wink

Levels???
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are not doing the challenge by region this year, only by level (10, 20, 40, 60 and all the caches).
CharleneMae
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, my plans are set. My husband and I plan on going to Garden Island on Tuesday, June 30th. We don't have a time set yet and are pretty flexible. It looks like last year groups went in the late afternoon and Deb thinks that is best due to wind. Captain Deb's rate is still $75 per hour. I guess figure the trip and caching to maybe 2 hrs?? We are departing from the NW Angle of MN.

Is anyone else interested in going with us? The boat can hold 8-10 total.

I believe someone already mentioned this, but you will need a passport to enter Canada.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharleneMae wrote:
Ok, my plans are set. My husband and I plan on going to Garden Island on Tuesday, June 30th. We don't have a time set yet and are pretty flexible. It looks like last year groups went in the late afternoon and Deb thinks that is best due to wind. Captain Deb's rate is still $75 per hour. I guess figure the trip and caching to maybe 2 hrs?? We are departing from the NW Angle of MN.

I believe someone already mentioned this, but you will need a passport to enter Canada.

I am interested but unsure if the date will work. I'll be in touch. If you want to very tentatively mark down 2, I'll know by 6-1 if I can go or not.
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

last i heard is after june 1st u'll need a passport 2 enter in2 canada. i think that's still the target date. anyway, have a good time!
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right Joe, two way street. As of June 1, passports will be required for Canadians visiting the U.S, as well as Americans entering Canada. So far, who knows if they will move the date or not, but for now that is the date. Just got ours in the mail. Our price was 87.00 plus the price of a photo, each and a few hours at the passport office. Not sure on the cost for U.S citizens. Funny my drivers license is photo ID, My health card is Photo ID, all swipe able, with all our info, but we need this big book. LOL. Whatever it takes to go caching, we pay, cross the border and enjoy.
CharleneMae
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuesday, June 30th is the day my husband and I are going to Garden Island for the geocache. We will be departing from Young's Bay in the NW Angle of Minnesota. Passports are required. Is anyone interested in coming with us?

bflentje, you mentioned to tentitively mark down 2. Are you still interested?

Will the cache be out at Garden Island? I cannot find it on geocaching.com yet.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharleneMae wrote:
Tuesday, June 30th is the day my husband and I are going to Garden Island for the geocache. We will be departing from Young's Bay in the NW Angle of Minnesota. Passports are required. Is anyone interested in coming with us?

bflentje, you mentioned to tentitively mark down 2. Are you still interested?

Will the cache be out at Garden Island? I cannot find it on geocaching.com yet.

I was told any day now. It is hidden and just has to pass in St Paul.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
CharleneMae wrote:

I am interested but unsure if the date will work. I'll be in touch. If you want to very tentatively mark down 2, I'll know by 6-1 if I can go or not.

Put me down as tentative for two, leaning towards the go rather than the nogo. I just need to make sure my wife doesn't work that weekend. Are you going to actively manage the group trip similar to what Paklid did last year?
CharleneMae
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean organizing the list of people going and taking care of the details with Captain Deb, yes, I was planning on doing that. I'm not entirely sure what Paklid did last year as I am somewhat new to caching.
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for an event cache owned by Fargnots (the event was a year ago, it's archived). Fargnot put all kinds of details in there. There are also a couple threads from last year about going to this cache. These threads will also yield some details.

Then pray for calm seas on the appointed date. It is possible to have a group of people assembled on the dock and the boats won't go. The skippers know their lake and their boats so if they won't go - you wouldn't want to be out there anyway.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharleneMae wrote:
If you mean organizing the list of people going and taking care of the details with Captain Deb, yes, I was planning on doing that. I'm not entirely sure what Paklid did last year as I am somewhat new to caching.

Yes, this kind of organization. I would not expect you to create an event for it but it was cool as a means to provide details. Also, I HIGHLY suggest a backup date in case of bad weather a day before or after the 30th. And if that date is earlier than the 30th, it works better for me than after the 30th Wink .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: