MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RINO 110 - nav page
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
merkong
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: RINO 110 - nav page Reply with quote

can someone answer me a question?...is it common when using the navigation page, if that is even the preferred page when seeking out a cache, that the "arrow" often times take forever to actually reorient to the correct direction? example...you're closing in on a cache and have to change direction, suddenly north according to the rino is not north and it takes a while for it to correct itself...what's up? common?
merkong
Rouster
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same problem with my Magellan for the last week or so. I thought it was just me. Anyone else?
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are on your navigation page and the arrow is pointing north to the cache, and you stop moving and turn around 180 degrees, and the arrow doesn't move, you don't have an electronic compass in your gpsr.

On some of the higher end models, even if you are standing still, the arrow will always point to the cache (I think) and north will be north. With the cheapies, like mine, you must be moving in a straight line for at least 10 feet or so for the gpsr to recognize your direction and compare it to the maps, or something like that. It then figures out which direction you must be moving in and establishes an arrow to the cache.

Lately, I've been bringing a compass with me and switching over to the zoomed in map page. I make UP be north on the map page and it tells me the distance to the cache. So if the line to the cache is due west at 36 feet, for example, I'll take out my compass and point west and go 36 feet. As you can plainly see, this isn't all that necessary and would be a lot easier with a gpsr that had a compass in it. I don't trust that arrow once I start closing in on the cache and the signal is weak.

I hope that helps.
Joelcam
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed it was slower on my RINO 110 when I first started caching, it didn't always point to the cache. I switched to using the map page with the data bar along the side. Seems to work a lot better.
Rouster
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize I have to be on-the-move for the arrow to work. I expect zig-zagging around trees and brush to throw it off. But recently, walking a straight line, I saw it pointing 500 ft. to the right, then 350 ft. to the left.

Again, this is only recently. When I close in to 60' I switch to digital coordinates and use a compass. Has there been recent sunspot activity, satellite problems, etc.?
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be interesting to learn more about orienteering. I often wondered how good someone could get at locating caches that way, just a map and a compass.

I'm finally getting my Rino 130 tomorrow, I could have bought a 110 a couple months back when I started geocaching, but I decided to wait for the new model because of the digital compass and other features built into it.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
It'd be interesting to learn more about orienteering. I often wondered how good someone could get at locating caches that way, just a map and a compass.

I'm finally getting my Rino 130 tomorrow, I could have bought a 110 a couple months back when I started geocaching, but I decided to wait for the new model because of the digital compass and other features built into it.

It wouldn't be easy, that's for sure. They have to find LARGE orange and white control boxes (one of several in the area COULD be the one they are looking for).

Minnesota didn't use a GPS for a long time and relied on maps and beacon spotting abilities. He's an awesome finder.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of my buddies was going to start doing it and then.....
he got shipped off to the large "sandbox"....

he is on an "adventure racing" team...since he is the navigator for the team he wanted to really learn how to "zero" in on his skills with exact cords to look for......

according to him he has to be fast and right on the money or it could cost them time on the race...so he wanted to practice by using geocaches....

to bad he left town just as I was getting him interested in caching......
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:

Our orienteering guy is kleiner.... he is pretty good!

As far as cachers go..... WaldenRun has found over 1450 caches without a GPS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cenris wrote:
Our orienteering guy is kleiner.... he is pretty good!

Does he have one of those cute uniforms like we saw in Missouri?
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kleiner= cleaner?? hmmmm
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
kleiner= cleaner?? hmmmm

Twisted Evil AH HA!!
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
Does he have one of those cute uniforms like we saw in Missouri?

I thought they were really cool. You shouldn't b... Oh nevermind, 4/1 was yesterday.
kleiner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No thanks on the uniform. I don't think my horse would let me on if I was wearing something like that.

As far as the "cleaner" goes, the only thing I get to clean this time of year is the barn. This has got to be where "spring cleaning" really comes from. Yuk!

I used to always use my compass when caching 'cause it helped to pin point the exact direction from where you were standing to the place to look. This works good if you start using the compass about 100 to 150 ft away. Get a good line and then look along that line for the likely hidey holes. JK
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you RINO user like it so far???

Do you have to know if another Rino user is in the area or does it just show up on your screen??

I was looking at the rino130 today and noticed you can text message to other 130 users has anybody used this??? or is it just too new and only 1 or two of you have them??....

I'm looking at a few different units and the rino130 is on my short list....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: