MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cable ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonas wrote:
It sounds like you are looking for a serial to USB adapter. The Etrex used a serial port which new laptops does not come with. I know that Microcenter in St Louis Park stocks those type of cables, otherwise Amazon should have those as well, just seach for "serial to usb adapter", they should run between 5 to 15 dollars.

-Jonas

I think I got mine at Radio Shack. They are pretty cheap. Mine isn't even a cable, just an adapter.
DeltaMikeAlpha
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this is a thread on cables, rather than starting a new one I'll go ahead and use this one for my problem...

I have a Garmin GPS72. I am suddenly having a problem downloading waypoints from GSAK to my unit. The cable I use is a dual purpose one that allows me to either hook up to the computer (9 pin serial) or to the car battery. I can still get juice from the car battery but I can't download waypoints. The message I get is:

Error Sending Waypoints
[Error] GPS_Packet_Read: Timeout. No Data Received.
Garmin: Can't init COM1

Does anyone know or have an idea of what my problem is? I could buy a new cable for $38 on Amazon but if it's the GPS, I'd be throwing away money.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anything changed since it worked to now? IE did you get a new computer? A new adapter? Did you accidentally cut the cord with a hedge trimmer? You know, anything like that.
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I configure my GSAK to send to a Garmin GPS72 on Com1 I get the exact same error message. So it seems to be a rather generic GSAK error message that it cant communicate with the GPS.

As a first troubleshooting step, I would try to use any other program than GSAK to communicate to the GPS, like the Garmin Webupdater.

If that tool finds the GPS and allows you to update the firmware on the GPS then its not a faulty cable, then its more likely that your serial connection is using a different comport than Com1. The webupdater might even tell you which Com port it found the GPS on. If that tool does not find the GPS it might be the cable.

Btw, isn't there some setting on the GPS on which format to communicate over serial? I cant recall, but I want to remember that the GPSMAP 60 had some "Garmin" setting or similar. Have you tried to switch that setting around?

-Jonas
DeltaMikeAlpha
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using GSAK for over 2 years and have had no trouble downloading waypoints before. I've been using this update of GSAK for over a month, this same computer forever, it's the same cable, etc. (i.e.- nothings changed with the hardware).

I have tried fooling around with the GPS setup page on GSAK as well as the Interface setting on the GPS (in case I inadvertently "changed" something). Jonas, your advice to try another program also occurred to me during the night and I tried EasyGPS this morning. I also get a GPS error with it as well:

No data was received from the GPS!

I also tried updating the GPS as you suggested and the udater does not "see" the device.
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's tough to tell exactly what could be wrong. It's probably either the cable or the physical comport (or the comport drivers/settings) on your PC.

I am bringing my laptop to the MnGCA spring event so you can test your cable/GPS on a different PC if can wait that long.

-Jonas
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often you can set up the GPS units to output NMEA or Garmin mode. I don't know if the 72 is one of those or not, but you may want to look at the interface settings to make sure it's not in NMEA. It should be in GRMN/GRMN or something similar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: