MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Stuff Works podcast

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: How Stuff Works podcast Reply with quote

Did anyone catch the How Stuff Works Techstuff podcast from 1/19/09? It covered GPS and games people play, with about half the time spent on geocaching.

Sad to say though that a large amount of the information they gave was incorrect. Things from there being very few urban caches to your GPS sending signals up to the satellites.
NeoAddict
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They must not do their research very well. Hmm.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeoAddict wrote:
They must not do their research very well. Hmm.

It seemed to me that they did some very basic reading and then ended there.

I enjoy the podcast (I just started listening to them), but now question some of the other stuff I hear (stuff that I didn't know before).
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just listened to it and thought the most interesting misinformation was that geocaching started in California. Smile

http://podcasts.howstuffworks.com/DMC-FEEDS/MED/podcasts/2009/1232116461719hsw-techstuff-gps-games.mp3
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I listen to that podcast on a regular basis. At the end of all the podcasts is listener mail. This is usually things they got wrong that people are correcting them on. In a later podcast they were corrected, but just barely. Usually it's a great show, but I was a bit disappointed on that one. Seems they didn't do their homework very well.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't listened to the ones after that one yet. I started with the older ones, but jumped around a little here and there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Media Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: