MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What would you change if you ran Geocaching.com?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: What would you change if you ran Geocaching.com? Reply with quote

With the recent announcement from Geocaching.com that additional logging requirements are no longer allowed some criticism were directed at how Geocaching.com runs the game.

I started to think about what I would change at Geocaching.com if I had the ability to but quickly realized that I would not change very much about the rules. I would probably allow new Virtuals and Webcams and allow more advanced searches/pocket queries and open up the database for more automated downloads/syncs but that's about it.

If you ran Geocaching.com what changes would you do?

-Jonas
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with everything above... can we vote you in for the new CEO of Groundspeak?
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you would like to change Geocaching.com to be democratic. Smile

Or changing GroundSpeak from being a privately held company to being a member owned co-op.

-Jonas
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't that be nice? Like I have heard before, Groundspeak needs geocachers, geocachers do not need groundspeak. Do they care about what we actually think?
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
Do they care about what we actually think?

[red][size=large]No[/red][/size]

^ What's up with that?^
incakola
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I's not so fond of Groundspeak.

I don't like the idea of a company using personal/member property, a free-to-use gov't technology, and thousand's of peoples time to try to turn a profit.

granted, it's a genius business plan, but groundspeak in my short experience with Geocaching (Including a long email exchange when trying to get an eps file) holds on to geocaching with a tight fist as if they own the sport(or game) as a whole.

To me that's like a company trying to hold and sell rights to public hiking trails.

I do with there was an alternative... I do like the co-op idea.
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

incakola wrote:
I's not so fond of Groundspeak.

I don't like the idea of a company using personal/member property, a free-to-use gov't technology, and thousand's of peoples time to try to turn a profit.

granted, it's a genius business plan, but groundspeak in my short experience with Geocaching (Including a long email exchange when trying to get an eps file) holds on to geocaching with a tight fist as if they own the sport(or game) as a whole.

To me that's like a company trying to hold and sell rights to public hiking trails.

I do with there was an alternative... I do like the co-op idea.

There is enough that goes into programming and running this website that, for groundspeak workers, it is indeed a full time job. Why shouldn't they get paid? They are providing us with a service, and we are choosing to use it. We can either conform to how they do things or move on with our lives and find a new hobby. No one is telling any of us that we HAVE to geocache through gc.com, much less at all. It is something we all have chosen to do out of our own free will with full knowledge of how groundspeak goes about their business.

Personally, I don't really care to change anything. The only thing that bugs me is that they keep making changes. It is like facebook and Apple products. I really don't need a new version every month and to do so is tedious and annoying. If there is a great new feature that they can develop and offer us, great, but until then, I am content with the way the website is now. I don't have the time to get all worked up over a website. I log in, download some caches, and go find em.
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...... if anyone out there came up with the Geocaching idea like GS did, the whole website, and etc.... u must b joking if u wouldn't hold on 2 it tightly, and hope it would never grow up, but u let it grow just enough that it doesn't morph in2 something out of control, or in2 something u never saw in ur mind at the start. granted it must grow or it dies, in 1 way or another. some of u long time cachers have seen a lot of changes since u 1st started, and u r still around. from geocaching being a back-alley sport, 2 it becoming something that's out in the open. maybe i'm way off base, but it's their baby 2 do as they see fit. if we don't like it, it's time 2 move on.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd can that jerk, Surfer Joe, and replace him with somebody who has a clue.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:

Yes! Finally someone read my mind!

And it would be nice at the same time to find someone that can approve caches in a prompt fashion. This SJ dude takes FOREVER!

Wink
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what's the deal with him approving and posting them during the week? He should wait until the weekend then those of us FTF hounds could get a jump on everyone else. It's just not fair I tell you.

I'll blame SJ, I guess. Razz
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:

Who is Surfer Joe?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timewellspent wrote:
Moe the Sleaze wrote:

Who is Surfer Joe?

The dude that hijacked the thread.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd dump Waymarking.com since it isn't nearly as popular. Then I'd reinstate virtuals, webcams and ALRs. You can keep your moving caches though. I'd also highly improve the search mechanism... would make for completing KB challenges much easier.
tesser
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish we could limit by cache hider in the PQ. Yes, it is hard to wade through the KB caches to get to the ones you want. Granted, most people don't need to limit by cache hider. But when you live in the same area as KB and he has all of those pesky challenges...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: