MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GSAK macro question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
X51hz
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: GSAK macro question Reply with quote

Is there a macro for GSAK that would filter for cache clusters, to find a cluster of caches with in a certain paramater or distance apart from each other.....basically to find the power trails. Very Happy
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a power trail?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
What's a power trail?

A trail with an extremely high density of caches on it (typically spaced ~528' apart), so you can rack up big numbers on a short walk.

Such cache placements are no longer allowed, but like everything else there are grandfathered examples out there.
X51hz
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh what PH said, just basically looking for a higher concetration of caches in any area through a filter or a macro of some sort.
firstbass
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: GSAK macro question Reply with quote

X51hz wrote:
Is there a macro for GSAK that would filter for cache clusters, to find a cluster of caches with in a certain paramater or distance apart from each other.....basically to find the power trails. Very Happy

Interesting. I don't know of one, and I'm wondering whether it's even possible or reasonable to write one, from a mathematical point of view, because the macro would need to account for direction as well as distance, for the following reason:

A naive approach would be to search for caches that have, say, 10 caches within 1 mile, a feature of a power trail. But in terms of the full circle around a point, that's not very dense at all. I have 10 caches within a mile of my home, and even though I live in the city, it's not a very cache-dense area.

Bonus question: what's the maximum number of caches allowed in a circle of radius 1 mile, given the proximity requirement of 0.1 miles between caches? I'll give an unactivated two-tone 2007 MnGCA geocoin (owned by me, not in stock) to the first person who PMs me the correct answer. (Sorry for the thread hijack) And no fair saying that SJ would never allow that to happen.

speedysk1 wrote:
What's a power trail?

Are you getting some revenge here, speedy? Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
X51hz
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: GSAK macro question Reply with quote

firstbass wrote:
X51hz wrote:

Interesting. I don't know of one, and I'm wondering whether it's even possible or reasonable to write one, from a mathematical point of view, because the macro would need to account for direction as well as distance, for the following reason:

A naive approach would be to search for caches that have, say, 10 caches within 1 mile, a feature of a power trail. But in terms of the full circle around a point, that's not very dense at all. I have 10 caches within a mile of my home, and even though I live in the city, it's not a very cache-dense area.

Bonus question: what's the maximum number of caches allowed in a circle of radius 1 mile, given the proximity requirement of 0.1 miles between caches? I'll give an unactivated two-tone 2007 MnGCA geocoin (owned by me, not in stock) to the first person who PMs me the correct answer. (Sorry for the thread hijack) And no fair saying that SJ would never allow that to happen.

speedysk1 wrote:
What's a power trail?

Intresting, this compounds so to speak.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it easier to just plot the gpx on MS Streets & Trips and then use the naked eye approach to finding clusters.
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kingdom for a piece of graph paper (I'm an empiricist).
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be best to just create a power trail thread and have people post them.

- Eastern side of Lake Minnetonka.
- Bike trail just west of Menomonie
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there is such a macro...

This macro will generate a route of caches that are the closest distance from each other for a "cache raid". Basically, the macro allows you to build a "cache chain". You select a cache then the macro will build a database of a direct route of the caches that are the shortest distance from last one (of course ignoring caches that are already in your "cache chain"). You can then use this "route" to plan your next cache raid. Note: this is not quite as sophisticated as selecting a centre point then doing the calculations to provide the shortest route to collect all caches within x miles of this point.

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=34487

see above, and have fun....
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: GSAK macro question Reply with quote

firstbass wrote:

firstbass wrote:

speedysk1 wrote:
What's a power trail?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
*INSERT EVIL LAUGH HERE*
firstbass
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: GSAK macro question Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:

Wrong question. Wink

speedysk1 wrote:
*INSERT EVIL LAUGH HERE*

Nice one!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrest wrote:
Yes there is such a macro...

This macro will generate a route of caches that are the closest distance from each other for a "cache raid".

Well that's not quite the same, since it just finds one cache chain starting from a given cache. It doesn't find the best chain... You might find a better chain if you start at a different cache, or pick a cache that's not necessarily the nearest at each step. If you always look for the nearest, that might lead you away from a cache-rich area.

I wonder if there's a macro to find N caches in the shortest time/distance. Not sure how you would write that.
firstbass
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: GSAK macro question Reply with quote

firstbass wrote:
Bonus question: what's the maximum number of caches allowed in a circle of radius 1 mile, given the proximity requirement of 0.1 miles between caches?

Congratulations Pear Head! He sent me the correct answer of 367. About three minutes later, Bunganator sent me the correct answer. I should also mention that Ramsey63 was very close quite a bit earlier.

367 caches in a one-mile radius. If we get to work on that, SJ will be at 20K in no time. I'm sure that's the last thing he wants to see.
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: GSAK macro question Reply with quote

firstbass wrote:
firstbass wrote:
Bonus question: what's the maximum number of caches allowed in a circle of radius 1 mile, given the proximity requirement of 0.1 miles between caches?

Congratulations Pear Head! He sent me the correct answer of 367. About three minutes later, Bunganator sent me the correct answer. I should also mention that Ramsey63 was very close quite a bit earlier.

367 caches in a one-mile radius. If we get to work on that, SJ will be at 20K in no time. I'm sure that's the last thing he wants to see.

If we could just find a park contained in a radius of one mile that doesnt have restrictions...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: