MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cache in Hinkley Needing Adoption
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
naha
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Cache in Hinkley Needing Adoption Reply with quote

We placed a cache in the Tobie's area of Hinkley when we came through last week but geocaching.com disagrees with us that it doesn't matter that we live 1000 miles away as the container is going to require zero maintenance for years.

We didn't retrieve the container before we flew home therefore it should still there for a local cacher to either adopt the cache as is or take the container to another site.

Anyone willing to help out?

Thanks!

Geocaching.com cache details page http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=829031a7-6d10-4364-991d-ef8051c5e0bd

Coordinates
N 46 00.530 W 092 55.836
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can't see the cache page listing because it hasn't been published yet. Perhaps you can post the pertinant information in a message here?
naha
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that. Here's the text from the page
Quote:
We noticed there were no caches near Tobie's in Hinkley and decided the area needed one. As we do most of our caching in Utah we commonly come across this type of cache and wanted to share them with the Minnesota cachers.

Additional Hints ( Encrypt )

It's a micro in a tree.

Again the Coordinates are:
N 46 00.530 W 092 55.836

If someone wants a more specific hint I can PM it.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache in Hinkley Needing Adoption Reply with quote

naha wrote:
We placed a cache in the Tobie's area of Hinkley when we came through last week but geocaching.com disagrees with us that it doesn't matter that we live 1000 miles away as the container is going to require zero maintenance for years.

First, I applaud you for searching out someone to adopt or retrieve the cache rather than just leaving it there.

Second, virtually every container that isn't an ammo can in the middle of nowhere needs some sort of maintenance (and even some of those need maintenance). In this case you're talking about a micro hidden at the edge of a very busy parking lot - someone over the years is likely to watch a cacher find the cache and check it out themselves. Next thing you know, the cache is gone and the owner is unable to check up on it.
naha
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very similar to the one's Geocaching.com sells here http://shop.groundspeak.com/productDetail.cfm?CategoryID=13&ProductID=47#

I've seen some of them go a year or more without being found and still perfectly dry and happy if well placed and protected from the weather. So maybe not "zero" maintenance but I'd be willing to bet that it's statistically close to zero Smile

Worst case at this point is no one wants it and I pick it up next time I go to Minnesota and find a home for it here in Utah.
sapalas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get the Geocaching.com gods to agree, I would be willing to take over the cache. I live ~100mi. away but am in Hinckley at least once a month since this is where my inlaws live. In fall I am there almost every weekend for all types of hunting and would have time to check it.

I am up on vacation right now, but let me know if you want me to do anything for it and I will check the boards again on Sat. night. I will look for the cache when I stop at the inlaws this weekend.

Shaun
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapalas wrote:
If you can get the Geocaching.com gods to agree, I would be willing to take over the cache. I live ~100mi. away but am in Hinckley at least once a month since this is where my inlaws live. In fall I am there almost every weekend for all types of hunting and would have time to check it.

Since the cache was never published, adopting or "taking over" is not an option. Instead, just submit your own listing for the cache and be sure to include a reviewer note explaining how you will be able to maintain it since you live so far away.

Surfer Joe
Not a god, just a volunteer reviewer
naha
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfer Joe wrote:
sapalas wrote:

Since the cache was never published, adopting or "taking over" is not an option. Instead, just submit your own listing for the cache and be sure to include a reviewer note explaining how you will be able to maintain it since you live so far away.

Surfer Joe
Not a god, just a volunteer reviewer

Is it not possible to publish as is (assuming Shawn is happy with the description, etc) and reassign ownership? It seems like it would be a better solution from a database cleanliness standpoint for geocaching.com.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfer Joe wrote:
sapalas wrote:

Far be it from me to question you, O great one, but I'm pretty sure it's possible to put unpublished caches up for adoption using http://www.geocaching.com/adopt/ ; I've done it twice in the past. Worth a try, anyway.
naha
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
Surfer Joe wrote:
sapalas wrote:

Far be it from me to question you, O great one, but I'm pretty sure it's possible to put unpublished caches up for adoption using http://www.geocaching.com/adopt/ ; I've done it twice in the past. Worth a try, anyway.

Which brings up the next question. Can't a cache be unarchived so the adoption page will work?
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:

Oh! I didn't know that worked.

Publishing it for the purposes of adoption is not an option but if the self adoption page works for non-published caches, go for it.
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naha wrote:

Which brings up the next question. Can't a cache be unarchived so the adoption page will work?

Groundspeak policy is that caches will not be unarchived for purposes of adoption.
naha
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfer Joe wrote:
naha wrote:

Groundspeak policy is that caches will not be unarchived for purposes of adoption.

Is this a policy that is written down somewhere? I for one would love to see a list of policies if it includes situations as extremely rare as this one.
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

contact@geocaching.com
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naha wrote:
Surfer Joe wrote:
naha wrote:

Is this a policy that is written down somewhere? I for one would love to see a list of policies if it includes situations as extremely rare as this one.

I doubt this situation is really as "rare" as you think...lots of folks want to hide vacation caches...and the guidelines about vacation caches is well known and brought up fairly often in the Groundspeak Forums...

...usually by relatively new cachers...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Central MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: