MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do we need a new game in town?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Do we need a new game in town? Reply with quote

While in Utah last year, I noticed they have a game called Cach-u-nuts and it seemed like all the rage there. I don't know all the details but it went something like this:

Someone released hundreds of stamped nuts (with different numbers) and everyone was trying to collect all the numbers and log them on a webpage somewhere. It was a lot like travel bugs except that they stayed in Utah (was the goal anyway). I'm not sure what would happen when one was taken and never logged.

Centris, I know you are familiar with this game.

A few questions for the MNGCA members:

1) Is Minnesota ready for a game of this type?
2) How would this affect geocaching in Minnesota as we know it? Positive or negative.
3) If so, what would we use and where would the intial money come from to produce them?
4) How would we log the finds and keep track of them? (we have many web-savvy cachers in the metro that I know of)
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea, but think as a ruralite I wouldn't stand a chance. That's ok though, it would be fun to watch and maybe I could absconed (sp) with a few.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can help set up the web/db portion if someone else will create the rules and run the game.
DJTRACKERS
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: nuts Reply with quote

I have also seen games with different colored but same shape bottle openers that have been numbered. I had thought about starting out a set that was numbered, but didn't have a clue how to log finds from people.
If you look up the travel bug wormnuts, you'll see the results of extreme boredom at work. It was fun to make and I'm glad it was made into a TB, but I don't know about mass producing stuff like that. If there is an interest in numbered washers, I could stamp a bunch, but I don't know how long it would take to place them. If I get ambitious and stamp a bunch, maybe someone could come up with a way to launch them. If you go to Utah from the main page on geocaching.com and then link to Utah geocachers and then to Games we play, you see the variety of things they have going. Looks interesting, but needs someone with more ambition and brains than me to start.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my first question would be "How many active GeoCacher's are located in Minnesota?"

In order for the game to be fulfulling we need enough players.
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

towlebooth wrote:
I can help set up the web/db portion if someone else will create the rules and run the game.

I have an idea for a game but it's still in development. It's economically feasible and would be somewhat easy to create, which I would take responsibility for. More details to follow.

Arcticabn wrote:
I guess my first question would be "How many active GeoCacher's are located in Minnesota?"

In order for the game to be fulfulling we need enough players.

That is a great point. Since I started caching, it seems to me that the number of cachers in MN has grown exponentially and that a game would have its place here.
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup yup yup --- those folks in Utah are really serious about their geocaching. They have several games to choose from. They are an interesting bunch out there. If you ever get a chance to go out, do so. Utah has more caches per square mile than any other state but some of them are spectacular! Especially around the Flaming Gorge area and through Echo Canyon.

I found a few of the "cache-u-nuts" while I was in Southern Wyoming. I think the game was originally only meant to be statewide, but it has spread to neighboring states. It goes even into the far reaches and the rural areas.

The guy who makes the nuts is an older gentleman, I think he may be retired. His game pieces are very cute and it really surprises me that more of them are not stolen. He also has been known to "adopt" a Travel Bug or two for the game (eh, Kitch?)

Which state is it that does the poker cards?? And then there is another state that has washers that travel about, but I don't know how they are marked.

If we do make our own game, we ought to think of something new and different.... something that is easily made or found. Buttons?? Keychains?? Chips?? or???

And a few hard rules like no hand to hand trades or no event trades.....
.....bring some of the challenge back into treasure hunting and "bug" skunking Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SirPoonga
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

towlebooth wrote:

I could too. Towle, I gotta ask you some techie questions about this site sometime.

Also to address some of the issues. Maybe we can think up of a game that both ruralites and urbanites can participate somewhat evenly.

Maybe something like a giant jigsaw puzzle. Pieces will be scattered around. Maybe they could move like tbugs. The puzzle piece would have to be 3 dimentional so you can make a rubbing of it (kinda like indiana jones and the last crusade). Then all you have to do is piece the pieces together once you find them all. On the piece you could put "Please do not take out of MN". There's nothing to enforce it but hey. You could also have two copies of the puzzle out there so there are two pieces floating around. I'm not a specifics person, just a general idea person.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirPoonga wrote:
Also to address some of the issues. Maybe we can think up of a game that both ruralites and urbanites can participate somewhat evenly.

I was talking to a geocacher from WA and they are playing a "Hot Potato" game. It's sort of like a travel bug. The state is divided into North/South and those in the South want to keep it in the North and vice versa. The potato has to stay in the cache for a certain number of hours (4 or 5) and can only be held by a single person for a maximum of 48 hours.

At the end of thirty days whichever team having the potato in their respective side the longest wins...

Turns out the last time this person went out to retrieve the potato it had only been in the cache for 3 hours so they knew it was still there but they couldn't find it. They took all the trinkets out of the cache and replaced it with all new stuff... The other team had hidden the potato in a McToy and resealed it with a vaccuum sealer Smile Pretty fun it seems to me.

Silent Bob
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centris wrote:
The guy who makes the nuts is an older gentleman, I think he may be retired. His game pieces are very cute and it really surprises me that more of them are not stolen. He also has been known to "adopt" a Travel Bug or two for the game (eh, Kitch?)

here's my nut!

Just some of the game pieces they are using.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about something like this???

We play a large chess game......based on North vs. South.....

We use I-94 as a state dividing line....
If you live on the North side of the freeway your on that team...etc.

Pieces are the same as a chess game.....each piece could have its own number that would go to the website.......

rules could be simple.....
only allowed to move your "color".
only allowed to move 1 piece a day.
pawns and king can only move to a cache that is within set distance.

but other peices can only move it set directions....
Queen can move anywhere...
Rooks can only move ...N/S and E/W....
Bishops can only move NW/SW and SE/SW.
Knights can only jump over a cache spot (or something).

I'm sure somebody can use a mapping page that would be able to do this....with restictions of where can place....(if a game piece goes missing we could replace it since we know where it was last at--then disable the missing one)

to make things interesting .....how about a login/password page for your side....and your only able to look at your side's pieces locations only and maybe notes on where we last saw the other sides pieces.....

this game could be played in the entire state or just the the way i see it.....
just a start of an idea(maybe).
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These all sound like great ideas!
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towlebooth and I are currently working on setting up a new game in Minnesota. It will be a statewide activity and similiar to the Cach-u-Nuts game they have in Utah except with a Minnesota twist.

Expect an unveiling sometime in March.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

march 14th?
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rememer Ceasar, "Beware the Eydes (sp) of March". Laughing

For those who don't know, that's March 15th.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Cache Games All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: