MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Challenge Caches Banned

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Challenge Caches Banned Reply with quote

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=331493
AustinMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Challenge Caches Banned Reply with quote

Boreal Walker wrote:
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=331493

I was just starting to think about my first challenge cache, but knowing how I tend to think about things, sometimes for a long time, I might not have been ready for the actual hide for a year or more anyway.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on a challenge but it's to late now. Sucks they didn't give any notice. Tha challenge would require one to have found 100 or more large type caches. The large is a rare breed and I hoped this would encourage more large caches.

I had been working on my number of large caches and just passed 100. I believe one should qualify for the challenge they create.
XHawk
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started thinking about an idea for a challenge a couple of days ago. I guess I better write my idea down so I don't forget it
Gat R Done
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Challenge Caches Banned" isn't completely accurate.

It is a one-year moratorium on all new "challenge cache" submissions.

And the next sentence says: "It does not impact previously published challenge cache listings."
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm good with this moratorium.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gat R Done wrote:
"Challenge Caches Banned" isn't completely accurate.

It is a one-year moratorium on all new "challenge cache" submissions.

And the next sentence says: "It does not impact previously published challenge cache listings."

We all know they're not coming back as they were, let's be honest.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:
I'm good with this moratorium.

I fall in some gray area. I like challenges, the ones that aren't WAY crazy. There are a lot of stupid challenges. Some challenges I've heard proposed and turned down, then see what is published by others, chaps my backside.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it'll become Groundspeak-directed challenges. Maybe an extension of "souvenirs," or maybe you can "unlock" coordinates for a final automatically after logging the required caches. It'd be nice to have that work via software versus sending a cache owner a list. . .

But I imagine that' be enough work that maybe there will only be a few "global" challenges (365 day, D/T blackout, for example).

Pure speculation. At least the old ones are grandfathered. Guess I better actually finish the 366 challenge this year.
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A year seems like a long time to discuss it. Hopefully they won't do something stupid with them like the lab caches or the challenges that they once had that didn't count as finds. I sure hope they listen to the geocaching community before they decide how to handle challenges in the future.

I can see why they didn't give us a warning. If they did there would have been thousands of challenges submitted just before the deadline and the poor reviewers would have been overwhelmed.
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We like challenge caches - especially trying to log them when we just barely qualify. So I am not overly happy to see the moratorium (especially because we were going to try and place one).

One issue I have had is it seems like a fair number of new challenge caches popping seem to be different ways of saying "find a lot of caches". I am currently sitting within a half mile of 7 challenge caches that take 300, 1500, 1800, 3600, 4800, 6000, and 7200 finds at minimum to qualify.
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schmittfamily wrote:
One issue I have had is it seems like a fair number of new challenge caches popping seem to be different ways of saying "find a lot of caches". I am currently sitting within a half mile of 7 challenge caches that take 300, 1500, 1800, 3600, 4800, 6000, and 7200 finds at minimum to qualify.

Sorry, some of those are probably mine. They can't all be for newbie cachers. I also have challenges that require only 1, 9, 26 (3), and 30 (2) finds.
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, some of them are. I am not knocking the challenges. Its just when 7 new caches appear right by work it is a let down when it is instantly obvious they are all years out. I was hoping for a reason to take a walk during the day.
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schmittfamily wrote:
Yeah, some of them are. I am not knocking the challenges. Its just when 7 new caches appear right by work it is a let down when it is instantly obvious they are all years out. I was hoping for a reason to take a walk during the day.

I don't cache enough to go out of my way to try to qualify for challenges. If there's a challenge that I don't and won't qualify for near where I'm caching I find it, sign the log sheet and log it on the cache page as a "write note". Good enough for me.
Hal-oween
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely will be chiming in on the opinion request. I am one that loves the challenges and gets a great deal of satisfaction completing a difficult one. They help shape our family travels and help me set goals. When I have a whole afternoon to cache, there are so many caches around the twin cities that it is hard to decide where to go. A challenge makes it easier for me to plan. Example: Need a 4.5/1 cache for a challenge? Then let's go to that park and get the caches nearby it. Or when I travel for business I have little time for caching but purposely choose caches with challenges in mind. For me, that is easier than just guessing about some random cache.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: