MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Caches not being maintained
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daped01
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Caches not being maintained Reply with quote

Hey guys, I am new here, so if this question is out of line for a newbie, or the answer can be found elsewhere please forgive me and send me in the right direction.

in my community, we have 60 some caches placed by 1 person. a majority of these caches are either missing, or maintained. its very disappointing to have this many caches listed in my community, but lots of then not available. I have tried sending the CO emails and messages through geocaching.com with no replies. Many of this persons caches were last found aproximately a year ago. And this person has only found 3 caches, none since 2013.

Is there anything that can be done to free up these missing/damaged caches?

Thank you in advance.
TriggerMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the person obviously has not been active for a long period of time, log a "needs maintenance" on the cache page. Eventually it will go into a hopper for reviewers to peruse, and if there is no response from the CO, they will be archived.
Daped01
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I have done a "needs archived" on a few of them. I'll go back and log a Needs maintainance!

Thanks
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be afraid to contact a previous finder for a hint. Some hiders are notorious for under rating the difficulty or for being loose with their coordinates. If the last log was a find, even if it was a year or two ago, I'd bet the cache is probably still there based on my experience. When I first started caching, I thought 1 in 4 caches was missing. I now realize that it's more like 1 in 200.
Daped01
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should point out that these caches are ones that I have previously found. After talking with other cachers around the area (small community many of us know each other personally) they say the same thing. We have gone back around to try locate these and they have disappeared, or are not being kept up.
XHawk
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I have tried sending the CO emails and messages through geocaching.com with no replies. Many of this persons caches were last found aproximately a year ago. And this person has only found 3 caches, none since 2013"

No reply back, so I think a "Needs Archived" is a good call. You have given the hider a fair chance to respond.
Mn-treker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A needs maint. log should come first. I have posted NA logs when it was clear that maint was not being done and the cache was gone.
and CO possibly MIA. Only to see the Gater disable it with a note that
a needs maint log would be better first. So I try to do that first now.
Daped01
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good. I have checked on several of this persons caches, some are still there, some have wet/soggy logs, and some have completely dissapeared. I will continue to post Need maintainance logs as needed.

I am going to be teaching a geocaching merit badge class this summer to the local boy scout troop, perhaps this could be a good teaching point on not putting out more caches than you are willing to maintain Smile

Thanks for the suggestions
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Caches not being maintained Reply with quote

Daped01 wrote:
And this person has only found 3 caches, none since 2013.

Thank goodness you aren't referring to me. Embarassed
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually say Needs Maintenance, but I have gone straight to Needs Archived on a couple of occasions. In my log I explained, for example:

"I'm gonna go ahead and put needs archived on this - pretty straightforward hide DNFed for more than a year, owner's last log-in was in 2010, and their only other hide was force-archived by reviewer with no response. I think they've just moved on."

Reviewer archived with a note to the hider that the reviewer could easily unarchive it for them if the hider replaced the cache within 90 days. That seemed fair enough.

You can check the person's profile and see when they last logged in (not only when they last found). If it's been years since they even logged in, I feel more comfortable that they're moved on vs. just being busy, or maybe in bad health or something like that.
Daped01
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in this persons profile Last visit was January 14 2014. 16 months ago

Here is the code for one of the caches in question: http://coord.info/GC4N8WG
Daped01
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only reason I'm concerned really, is this 1 person has approximately 60 of the 70 or so caches that are placed around our community. A good portion of them are the same type of cache. A nano in a tree, or a magnetic key holder under a street light, When the caches look bad, it makes us as a "caching community" look bad IMO.

perhaps I'm making too much out of this.
Mn-treker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing that you could do is post a NA log and place that one on you watch list. then when it gets archived go place one there if it is a good spot Twisted Evil
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess some people like those kinds of hides, but if they're missing, by all means see if you can get them archived and then put some nicer ones out.
beagleboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Caches not being maintained Reply with quote

Daped01 wrote:
Hey guys, I am new here, so if this question is out of line for a newbie, or the answer can be found elsewhere please forgive me and send me in the right direction.

in my community, we have 60 some caches placed by 1 person. a majority of these caches are either missing, or maintained. its very disappointing to have this many caches listed in my community, but lots of then not available. I have tried sending the CO emails and messages through geocaching.com with no replies. Many of this persons caches were last found aproximately a year ago. And this person has only found 3 caches, none since 2013.

Is there anything that can be done to free up these missing/damaged caches?

Thank you in advance.

REF: GEOCACHING 101

LINK: https://www.geocaching.com/guide/

EXCERPT: (As a geocacher, if you notice that a cache page has an unusual number of "Didn't find it" logs, please let the local reviewer know or contact us. We rely on the geocaching community to let us know the status of caches in their area.)

As instructed, I inform our "MUCH APPRECIATED REVIEWER" all cache information, DNF's, Last Found Date, CO Last Visit etc. and including cache page link. The reviewer has much more judgement as to issuing the gentle NUDGE of a "Needs Maintenance/Temporary Disable",......or the big BOOT of a final "Archived" log.

Works for me! Smile

The "INTEREST" of a geocache is in it's logs, or lack thereof!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: