MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ONE DNF YIELDS A NEEDS MAINTENACE?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: ONE DNF YIELDS A NEEDS MAINTENACE? Reply with quote

What is this? ONE DNF and I get a needs maintenance? This is absurd. Below is the email I just received:

Quote:
Hello EskoClimber,

Your geocache, Sven's LARGE Multi (GC759NY), looks like it might need some attention. The recent logs may contain more details about what sort of maintenance needs to be performed. This could be anything from a new logbook to replacing a missing container. Here are a few options for what to do now:
Maintenance: Visit your geocache, make any needed repairs, and post an “Owner Maintenance” log so the community knows it’s available to find.
Disable: If you cannot check on your geocache within a reasonable amount of time, please disable your geocache listing. Once you perform maintenance, you can enable it and post an “Owner Maintenance” log.
Archive: If you decide it is time for your geocache to be permanently retired, please archive the listing and retrieve all physical stages.

For tips about how to perform maintenance and to learn why Geocaching HQ sends occasional geocache maintenance reminders, please see this Help Center article.

Thanks,
Geocaching HQ

I am very upset and angry. I put a quality cache with durable LEGAL components, no screws, nails, and clearly labeled containers, that are eco-friendly (no wire wrapped around a tree) and I get a needs maintenance after ONE DNF.

I take pride in maintaining my caches. I check on them all the time. I fix other peoples caches. I've hiked into my caches to rescue TB's that have been stranded at the request of the owners. And I get a needs maintenance after one DNF.
dmnrec
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like some computer generated auto reply from the dnf. I think HQ needs to set the bar a bit higher before those generate. I might be attempting that one tomorrow....
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand why you'd be upset with it.

I believe it's based on an algorithm that is taking into account other things besides the one DNF, such as time between visits and the fact that there's only one found log.

I suppose sometimes quality caches, such as yours, get caught up in the works. I know very few people that maintain caches to the same level as you do. I wouldn't worry about it too much. This is one of those areas where automation has stepped in a little and in this case has overstepped it's bounds.

I would suggest contacting Groundspeak to let them know of your frustration. It's feedback like that which will help them refine the process.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I would suggest contacting Groundspeak to let them know of your frustration. It's feedback like that which will help them refine the process.

Groundspeak will certainly take public opinion into consideration..
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see they are stepping up the game. It took three for me but the second dnf was turned to a found well before I was sent the message. The first and the third dnf was from the same person - a newer cacher. Must admit, I posted on a local geocaching FB page, because I was a bit put off. Glad to share the HQ joy. Very Happy

Hal-oween
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the algorithm needs adjustment before they keep using it. I have a cache that was targeted the same way but it is a difficult cache with a higher difficulty rating. In it's history, I have logged many maintenance checks and there has never been a problem with the container or the log. Sometimes I think DNFs beget more DNFs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: