MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

woodticks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4050

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigilwig44 wrote:
casinoman wrote:
minnesotabrad wrote:
jrest wrote:
Permethrin

Yep, I have used this stuff, seems to work really well too. Typically pick it up at Fleet Farm, and sounds like I should start looking for it again.

Hang or lay out the pants and shoes and spray it on them, get a good coat of it on there, soaks in, let it dry really well and then off you go.

NOT for skin application... No real smell either once it is dry.


I used it all last year and then stuff called Jungle Juice I got at REI for the skin and never had one on me all last year.


I have used Jungle juice for years It has to be the best stuff out there for bugs.


I googled Jungle Juice and it's a liquor drink, then I googled Jungle Juice Bug Spray and found it, 98.11% DEET geez isn't that stuff toxic?


DEET melts plastics and I found out the hard way. Had a bonus sized aerosol can of the 90-something% DEET under the sink in my camper. Last year on a roadtrip, that can got jammed between the floor and the drain trap. The entire can unloaded under the sink inside the camper, melting ALL of my plumbing lines. Huge bummer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sigilwig44
Geocacher


Joined: 31 Mar 2011

Posts: 332

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
sigilwig44 wrote:
casinoman wrote:
minnesotabrad wrote:
jrest wrote:
Permethrin

Yep, I have used this stuff, seems to work really well too. Typically pick it up at Fleet Farm, and sounds like I should start looking for it again.

Hang or lay out the pants and shoes and spray it on them, get a good coat of it on there, soaks in, let it dry really well and then off you go.

NOT for skin application... No real smell either once it is dry.


I used it all last year and then stuff called Jungle Juice I got at REI for the skin and never had one on me all last year.


I have used Jungle juice for years It has to be the best stuff out there for bugs.


I googled Jungle Juice and it's a liquor drink, then I googled Jungle Juice Bug Spray and found it, 98.11% DEET geez isn't that stuff toxic?


DEET melts plastics and I found out the hard way. Had a bonus sized aerosol can of the 90-something% DEET under the sink in my camper. Last year on a roadtrip, that can got jammed between the floor and the drain trap. The entire can unloaded under the sink inside the camper, melting ALL of my plumbing lines. Huge bummer.


WOW!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 26 Apr 2006

Posts: 3098

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have pulled TWO ticks off my dog this week!
_________________
"We never seek things for themselves-what we seek is the very seeking of things"-Pascal
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pattenclan
Geocacher


Joined: 08 Oct 2011

Posts: 210

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Devil35 wrote:
I have pulled TWO ticks off my dog this week!



Oh hush!!! Aside from catching one somehow while dripping in DEETed OFF over Memorial Weekend (thanks you lyme carrying scum), and having my youngest daughter catch one in Roch (yet another "bulls eye"), we've not had any issues this year. Both of our little "buddies" were never seen..just the lovely mark . Here is hoping we stay tick free the rest of the year...LOL!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
XHawk
Geocacher


Joined: 30 Oct 2007

Posts: 53

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday morning I found a deer tick on me that I picked up in Crosby Farm Park on Sunday. Never saw or felt it until I felt a sore spot on my hip and there he was.
Earliest Dr appointment was right after work. I saved the tick, Dr confirmed it a deer tick. I am taking Doxycycline for 10 days, and won't have to go back for follow up. There was no target ring on me, but Lyme Disease is one I won't take a chance on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board


Joined: 10 Jun 2009

Posts: 908

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XHawk wrote:
Yesterday morning I found a deer tick on me that I picked up in Crosby Farm Park on Sunday. Never saw or felt it until I felt a sore spot on my hip and there he was.
Earliest Dr appointment was right after work. I saved the tick, Dr confirmed it a deer tick. I am taking Doxycycline for 10 days, and won't have to go back for follow up. There was no target ring on me, but Lyme Disease is one I won't take a chance on.


I had Lyme disease several years ago. I caught it early enough that there were no long term effects. I never saw the bullseye ring and never found a tick, but I had 20 of the 40 symptoms. The doctor didn't think I had it but I made them do the test and it came back positive. I wasn't even a geocacher at the time and I'm pretty sure I picked up the tick in my backyard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
seamusbleu
Geocacher


Joined: 23 Nov 2007

Posts: 205

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if the same applies to humans, but my vet said the tests almost always come back (mostly false) positive if your dog has been exposed to ticks. He said diagnosis is mostly done by having the symptoms (or the red bullseye of course). Lyme's scares me too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher


Joined: 22 Oct 2008

Posts: 124

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trekkin' has had lyme three times now. Lately he's been finding the little buggers again. When people post questions like "what's the most dangerous animal seen while caching," we don't mention the wolves, coyotes, bears or elk. It's the ticks.

He only had the bullseye one time, and then only after being sent home by the first doctor with the comment it was probably just a virus. (This was his second time around). Once you've been bitten, your titer (?) will always show a level of infection. They have to look for acute spikes to confirm a new case. We don't know why the little stinkers like him so much. He douses himself in all the preventatives and any little thing he feels while driving down the road elicits all kinds of terror until he can figure out if it's a tick or not. Tick checks in this household are thorough, to say the least.

It's not fun stuff. Each time he's had it, it's worse, and takes longer to recover.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4050

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trekkin' and Birdin' wrote:
Trekkin' has had lyme three times now. Lately he's been finding the little buggers again. When people post questions like "what's the most dangerous animal seen while caching," we don't mention the wolves, coyotes, bears or elk. It's the ticks.

He only had the bullseye one time, and then only after being sent home by the first doctor with the comment it was probably just a virus. (This was his second time around). Once you've been bitten, your titer (?) will always show a level of infection. They have to look for acute spikes to confirm a new case. We don't know why the little stinkers like him so much. He douses himself in all the preventatives and any little thing he feels while driving down the road elicits all kinds of terror until he can figure out if it's a tick or not. Tick checks in this household are thorough, to say the least.

It's not fun stuff. Each time he's had it, it's worse, and takes longer to recover.


Look at the bright side, the "thorough" tick checks can be made REAL fun. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher


Joined: 10 Jan 2003

Posts: 1146

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2011/11/10/lyme-disease-gives-pat-kessler-a-reality-check/
_________________
"Hi, I'm Moe, or as the women know me - Hey! You in the bushes."
-Moe, The Simpsons
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President


Joined: 04 Apr 2004

Posts: 5701

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seamusbleu wrote:
I don't know if the same applies to humans, but my vet said the tests almost always come back (mostly false) positive if your dog has been exposed to ticks. He said diagnosis is mostly done by having the symptoms (or the red bullseye of course). Lyme's scares me too.


There is no test that will tell you if you don't have the disease, there's only a test that will tell you if you DO have it (and it's not always accurate). A false test result doesn't mean that you don't necessarily have it.

I know Duluth has a Lyme support group - I would imagine other major areas do as well. They're good for getting help if you think you have it but can't convince your doctor.
_________________
Hmm...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
theodellfamily
Geocacher


Joined: 29 Apr 2008

Posts: 57

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up with Lymes this summer.
I was thinking maybe I picked up a unseen tick while out caching in Elm Creek park earlier in the summer as we picked off a ton of them, regular and deer ticks ... maybe I missed one. Or I could have picked one up somewhere else along the line who knows.
My symptoms began with a week of flu like body aches. The end of the week brought on horrific headaches and a trip to the doc who sent me home with vicodin and steroids and two days of missed work. Two days later after a round of evening caching in Saint Clouds with the guys I noticed what I thought were perhaps several mosquito bites - small redish spots. Mosquitos don't bother me so I blew it off. But in the week and a half to follow I observed those spots growing in size (no itching or swelling) to about 4 inches and more! I finally went to a new doctor and laid out my symptoms of the previous weeks. She did a sed rate test and mine came back at 67 almost twice the normal range (notes the inflamation in the blood cells??) and she also did the lymes test which came back positive so they sent it off for further testing to the mayo. Yes Lymes. Three weeks of antibiotics and 5 days of steriods. My normal doc just blew it off at a follow up visit. I hope those three weeks of meds were enough. I heard from another cacher that was on meds for three months.
Of course I must take the blame for this - all my fault. I did buy the Permethrin spray and just never treated my caching clothes, nor am I in the habit of using the body spray. I think it is time to learn better preventative habits.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher


Joined: 10 Jan 2003

Posts: 1146

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled a tick off my dog on Saturday.
_________________
"Hi, I'm Moe, or as the women know me - Hey! You in the bushes."
-Moe, The Simpsons
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
northtrekker
Geocacher


Joined: 23 Jul 2004

Posts: 115

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked off a deer tick on 11/12/11 as it was wedging itself into my arm. I dropped it on the floor of my car and spent another 30-45 minutes looking for it. I spent that day watching it die a slow death in a ziplock bag. I never would have thought I'd get a tick in November. I'm pretty cautious about my caching jaunts during "tick season." A couple summers ago I spent a couple weeks in Fairview thanks to a tick bite (99% sure) and a few months of recovery beyond that. Crap. I can't stand those things! Now that we have a bit of snow, perhaps they will do whatever it is they do when winter is here. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
termdisc
Geocacher


Joined: 07 Oct 2008

Posts: 9

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warm winters bring tick-infested springs...

http://www.startribune.com/local/east/137802778.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 11 of 17

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Geocaching Cache Icons, Copyright 2009, Groundspeak Inc. All rights reserved. Used with Permission.