MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

woodticks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBcrashen wrote:
PERMITHONE
I have clothes treated with it that I wear geocaching, I use the military soak & wear style stuff, good for 6 weeks. Gonsolo doesnt use it. Today we were in WI in the Moose Junction, Dairyland area SE of Duluth. While I would see a couple on my pants, a few steps later they were gone. We picked a good 1 1/2 dozen off of her during the walk, a good dozen back at the truck, one every few miles on the way home for easily 30, and back at home 38 so far on her/clothes. The ash tray if full of there burnt bodies. Very Happy Me, I had none after the walk. I have found 2 dead ones in the truck either off of me or the dog. the stuff

So what is this Stuff like? Do you smell like a chemical plant for 6 weeks?
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entirely odorless, but it has been found to be highly toxic to cats, so use with caution if you've a cat that likes to sleep on your geocaching gear Cool
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
IBcrashen wrote:
PERMITHONE
I have clothes treated with it that I wear geocaching, I use the military soak & wear style stuff, good for 6 weeks. Gonsolo doesnt use it. Today we were in WI in the Moose Junction, Dairyland area SE of Duluth. While I would see a couple on my pants, a few steps later they were gone. We picked a good 1 1/2 dozen off of her during the walk, a good dozen back at the truck, one every few miles on the way home for easily 30, and back at home 38 so far on her/clothes. The ash tray if full of there burnt bodies. Very Happy Me, I had none after the walk. I have found 2 dead ones in the truck either off of me or the dog. the stuff

Can't launder the clothing for that amount of time?
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
andrewmcc wrote:

Can't launder the clothing for that amount of time?

I bought the spray stuff and put in on a pair of jeans. It doesn't smell at all and according to Arctic's article: "A single application of permethrin to clothing will generally last several weeks and through several washings."
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious to hear from those that have tried this (Lucid, IB, Arctic) - do you launder your clothes? Do you wash them with other clothes in the same load or keep them separate? Do you find the more times you wash them the quicker the effectiveness wears off?
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually wash all my caching clothes together, but not for reasons of cross-contamination via permethrin. I generally find the effectiveness to be limited by time more than washing, however washing does have some effect.
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The liquid I use is odorless after it drys. It is good for 6 weeks or 6 washings.

I wash them with everything else. The time effective periods are for the bonding/carring agent to wear away/break down. There are sprays that last 2 week or washings and 6 weeks or washings, the only differences in them is the boding agent its applied with.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I'm curious to hear from those that have tried this (Lucid, IB, Arctic) - do you launder your clothes? Do you wash them with other clothes in the same load or keep them separate? Do you find the more times you wash them the quicker the effectiveness wears off?

Absolutly, wash my cloths. After every caching day or trip (take your pick). If you use the spray on type and do a good applications like the can says (one can for one set of cloths) it will generally last for 4 to 6 weeks and at least as many washings.

If you use the soak in the bag type it will generally last the entire spring, summer, fall season.

As you know I prefer to wear military style pants. For several reasons, they dry quickly, they are light weight and they have lots of pockets. But they also hold the chemicals in well.

I find that if you apply to denim type pants it soaks in well but denim retains water more and thus eventually the chemicals seep out of the clothing a little quicker.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went hiking today with Ghost640 to do part of the Death Marching with Esko series. I'm over 70 ticks for about 4 1/2 hours of hiking. Needless to say I ordered my product today. Smile
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe i'm missing it on the website, but do they recomend this product 4 kids?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joboo wrote:
maybe i'm missing it on the website, but do they recomend this product 4 kids?

According to Arcticabn's article, the EPA categorizes permethrin as a Category III (Low Toxicity) for oral and skin contact and a Category IV (Very Low) for inhalation and skin irritation.

I'm guessing it would be safe - it's used to treat head lice in children as well...
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember permethrin is used to treat clothing. It comes in either a spray or liquid form. Once dry skin contact will not remove it from the clothing.

For kids or adults you need to use a use a DEET product on the skin. This is the two barrier system. If you read the article it will explain in detail.

Ideally, you apply the permethrin to the shoes, socks, pants, and shirts that you wear into the tick infested areas. It will last for several weeks and through the washings.

You apply the DEET products to your skin every trip or multiple times on the trip depending upon how much you sweat it off.

The two products work differently. The permethrin will kill the ticks. DEET creates a barrier that prevents them from wanting to be on the body. So in particular, the legs above the sock line (even if you are wearing long pants), the arms (even if you are wearing a long sleeve shirt), the neck and shoulder areas. If I'm going out for a long time I'll even put it on my belly and under my arms (but then I hate tick). I've also only had one tick embedded in the last 7 years.
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats odd, I didn't find a single tick when I set out the DMwE series. I didn't have any after walking it with AccordianGal either.

You sure you found some out there?
NeoAddict
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe You're immune to ticks like my husband is to mosquitoes... he can walk through a swamp where I'm swarmed by mosquitoes and he has 1 or 2 buzzing about, not even bothering him.

It's very aggravating. Evil or Very Mad
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EskoClimber wrote:
Thats odd, I didn't find a single tick when I set out the DMwE series. I didn't have any after walking it with AccordianGal either.

You sure you found some out there?

The east side was fine - we only picked up a few there. The west side was really bad though... Lots of tall grass and such....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 4 of 17

Jump to: