MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

woodticks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
casinoman
Geocacher


Joined: 26 Mar 2008

Posts: 383

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnesotabrad wrote:
jrest wrote:
Permethrin

Yep, I have used this stuff, seems to work really well too. Typically pick it up at Fleet Farm, and sounds like I should start looking for it again.

Hang or lay out the pants and shoes and spray it on them, get a good coat of it on there, soaks in, let it dry really well and then off you go.

NOT for skin application... No real smell either once it is dry.


I used it all last year and then stuff called Jungle Juice I got at REI for the skin and never had one on me all last year.


I have used Jungle juice for years It has to be the best stuff out there for bugs.
_________________
---------------------------------------------------
I may grow old, But I will never grow up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tesser
Geocacher


Joined: 24 May 2006

Posts: 158
Location: Maplewood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

casinoman wrote:
minnesotabrad wrote:
jrest wrote:
Permethrin

Yep, I have used this stuff, seems to work really well too. Typically pick it up at Fleet Farm, and sounds like I should start looking for it again.

Hang or lay out the pants and shoes and spray it on them, get a good coat of it on there, soaks in, let it dry really well and then off you go.

NOT for skin application... No real smell either once it is dry.


I used it all last year and then stuff called Jungle Juice I got at REI for the skin and never had one on me all last year.


I have used Jungle juice for years It has to be the best stuff out there for bugs.


98.11% DEET! Holy Cow, no wonder it works!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
GeoPierce
Geocacher


Joined: 16 Nov 2005

Posts: 1657
Location: Eden Prairie, MN

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tesser wrote:
98.11% DEET! Holy Cow, no wonder it works!

And it even melts plastic!

http://www.rei.com/product/738782
_________________
Tupperware doesn't belong in the kitchen!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 29 Oct 2007

Posts: 1991
Location: Mound MN

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, the more DEET that's in it doesn't make it more effective, it makes it last longer. That's why Jungle Juice is rated for 10 hours of usage. And yes be careful with plastic and rubber items as DEET can and will melt them into a unrecognizable goo. I had a small bottle of off (maybe 18%? DEET) leak in my motorcycle tourpak and it ate through a bunch of things. Kept the mosquitoes away though. Wink
_________________
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeoAddict
Geocacher


Joined: 29 Feb 2008

Posts: 189

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick note: If anyone is out in northern WI, be prepared to pick LOTS of ticks off, both wood and deer ticks.

When hanging the laundry out yesterday (75 degrees, holy crap), I looked down at the basket which had been on the ground no more than 5 minutes and already there were 6 wood ticks and 1 deer tick crawling/reaching.

And I managed to pick 3 off the dog, one off my foot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4019

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeoAddict wrote:
Just a quick note: If anyone is out in northern WI, be prepared to pick LOTS of ticks off, both wood and deer ticks.

When hanging the laundry out yesterday (75 degrees, holy crap), I looked down at the basket which had been on the ground no more than 5 minutes and already there were 6 wood ticks and 1 deer tick crawling/reaching.

And I managed to pick 3 off the dog, one off my foot.


Time to bug bomb your yard....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeoAddict
Geocacher


Joined: 29 Feb 2008

Posts: 189

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
NeoAddict wrote:
Just a quick note: If anyone is out in northern WI, be prepared to pick LOTS of ticks off, both wood and deer ticks.

When hanging the laundry out yesterday (75 degrees, holy crap), I looked down at the basket which had been on the ground no more than 5 minutes and already there were 6 wood ticks and 1 deer tick crawling/reaching.

And I managed to pick 3 off the dog, one off my foot.


Time to bug bomb your yard....

Thankfully the Frontline is on the dog now. Wish I could put some on myself!

Last year we had some sort of fertilizer thing we spread with the hose that knocked out a lot of the ticks in the yard. Definitely have to do that again this year!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeverSummer
Geocacher


Joined: 20 Feb 2009

Posts: 99

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went and found "Horned Owl" in a Blaine open space and had 6 ticks...and still looking. Quite the outing!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 29 Jul 2007

Posts: 996

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am crawling just reading these.
_________________
Dinnae fash yersel (don't worry yourself)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President


Joined: 24 May 2005

Posts: 810
Location: Duluth area

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my first tick of the year but I had to travel 180 miles south to do it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
msrubble
Geocacher


Joined: 23 Jul 2006

Posts: 147
Location: Heart of Bedrock

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, I had 6 ticks yesterday: 2 deer ticks and 4 wood ticks. And you know where I was caching. Practically in your back yard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 29 Jul 2007

Posts: 996

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msrubble wrote:
Andy, I had 6 ticks yesterday: 2 deer ticks and 4 wood ticks. And you know where I was caching. Practically in your back yard.


Add that to the PI and the thorns and the Sand Dunes is a very pleasant place.
_________________
Dinnae fash yersel (don't worry yourself)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
former hawkeye
Geocacher


Joined: 14 Dec 2005

Posts: 273
Location: Moorhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No wood ticks in the Red River Valley yet-but they will be back when they get out of their subs they used to survive the flood. Laughing
_________________
Summer is too short
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigred_librarian
Geocacher


Joined: 19 Aug 2007

Posts: 85
Location: St. Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: I got Lyme's last August Reply with quote

I got Lyme's Disease last August (my opinion as I was really sick and had all of the symptoms but a negative test). I was diagnosed in January once I had ankle pain of all things. Not good at all. I spray down in the woods, so I am not sure where or when it happened exactly. So my advice is to have someone check you over after being out. It's a ritual in our house.

I like the ticker tape idea.
_________________
"Those librarians, that's one terrorist group you don't want to mess with." Michael Moore
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tesser
Geocacher


Joined: 24 May 2006

Posts: 158
Location: Maplewood

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a woodtick on my scalp in the shower yesterday morning. Eek!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 2 of 17

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Geocaching Cache Icons, Copyright 2009, Groundspeak Inc. All rights reserved. Used with Permission.