MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Backing up Net Books

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Backing up Net Books Reply with quote

So now that I have a net book what is the best way to back it up?

Last edited by fireman121 on Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Backing Op Net Books Reply with quote

fireman121 wrote:
So now that I have a net book what is the best way to back it up?

There are tons of different ways, just like a PC.

How do you back up your PC right now? What kind of data do you want to make sure gets backed up?
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I back it up with DVD disc with my CD burner, but the net books don't have a disc drive. Should I invest in a external one then?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fireman121 wrote:
I back it up with DVD disc with my CD burner, but the net books don't have a disc drive. Should I invest in a external one then?

Are you using a program to back up the entire drive, or just dragging/dropping certain items to the CD/DVD drive?

How often do you back up?
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole drive.why?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
fireman121 wrote:

Are you using a program to back up the entire drive, or just dragging/dropping certain items to the CD/DVD drive?

How often do you back up?

fireman121 wrote:
The whole drive.why?

I'm not sure which question you're asking why to, so I'll explain both.

If you're just backing up particular files/folders, then it may be easiest to copy them off on a flash drive, depending on the frequency of your backups.

Since you're backing up the entire drive, operating system and all, and I'm assuming that you do this more than 'rarely', I would recommend getting an external drive and backing things up like you do your PC. It's a process you're familiar with already. If you do this rarely (once/year or less), there are other options probably out there which are a bit more of a hassle but less expensive.

Having an external drive for the netbook would probably be handy regardless, and I would have to imagine that they are relatively cheap.

Another option may be to 'share' the drive with your PC computer if the two can be networked together. That's probably beyond the scope of this thread - there are numerous tutorials out there on how you would do that (I can probably find a link to one if you would like).

Hope this helps!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A word on backups...

- If you have your Windows restore disk, only backup your important data files. A lot easier and cheaper.
- NEVER rely on a flashdisk or ANY flash memory for backups.
- Did I say, NEVER rely on ANY form of flash memory for backups?

Working in the IT field, I can name many first hand experiences where flash memory data can be destroyed in your pocket, car, etc.

Take this as my opinion though and do what you want. It's a free country (for now).
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
A word on backups...

- If you have your Windows restore disk, only backup your important data files. A lot easier and cheaper.
- NEVER rely on a flashdisk or ANY flash memory for backups.
- Did I say, NEVER rely on ANY form of flash memory for backups?

Working in the IT field, I can name many first hand experiences where flash memory data can be destroyed in your pocket, car, etc.

Take this as my opinion though and do what you want. It's a free country (for now).

My suggestion (which I didn't complete as it wasn't really the final suggestion) would be to use flash to transfer the files to another PC. I've been burned twice by flash memory, thankfully neither time was important data (nor was either time a backup).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: