MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rechargeable batteries from your cigarette lighter?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Rechargeable batteries from your cigarette lighter? Reply with quote

Has anyone heard of an accessory like this? Is there a gps unit that could recharge rechargeable batteries when in the car, driving to a point, while getting power from the lighter? This would be very convenient. I haven't looked into it at all so I'm not sure what is or what isn't out there.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Maha battery charger will work off of a car power port (formerly known as a cigarette lighter). I highly recommend their chargers.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a NiMH Maha charger which came with a 12VDC adapter for use in the car. Its great for cutting down the expenses of running 3 Game Boy's (yes, I play too -- completely beat Pokemon Red and Blue back in the day). Its a very fast charger and I second Moe's recommendation if you need one of these. I got mine and a hoard of AA batteries from Thomas Distributing about 4 years ago. We still use these batteries regularly and I recovered the cost of the charger and batteries (vs. alkalines) a long time ago. If you ever have any kids, make sure you get one of these!

But I was dissatisfied with the results I got using AAA NiMH batteries with the Handspring Visor, Magellan GPS companion, and FRS radios. The ones I have seem to thrive better on the higher voltage that alkalines provide. YMMV. One thing I would not do is buy a device with a non-replaceable NiMH or LiON battery in it. Those batteries eventually get old and won't take a charge. If they are permanent, you toss the whole device and get a new one. You may have read about Apple getting slammed for the iPod for just this reason.

The GPS Companion has a jack for powering from external DC source, but I've never used it. In the car I use an el-cheapo laptop for maps and cache descriptions and its connected to a tiny Deluo USB GPSr that is velcroed to the dash. BTW, the laptop has been running 24x7 since I got it 13 months ago, with the exception of a few times when I forgot to jack it into the lighter and ran down the battery.

The laptop is the focal point of our mobile geo information center. I fill up the laptop with waypoints at home (using my geo-demand and geo-nearest tools). I carry a couple of cables in the glove compartment that let us download waypoints from the laptop to the GPS Companion and Dylan's Geko 201 if needed. And I can update the maps and waypoints and get answers to puzzle caches Smile on the laptop while on the road using a USB connected Sprint cell phone. The kids have also been known to surf and play games on the laptop to pass the time between caches.

-Rick
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great minds buy alike! I've got the maha MH-C204F. Came with both the wall wort and car adapter. That coupled with a lighter plug splitter and I'm good to go!
SirPoonga
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a rayovac car charger that suppose to charge in 1 hour at target.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: