MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pocket Query Question
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Pocket Query Question Reply with quote

We have discussed ways in which to pull the entire state of MN in a series of pocket queries, but I'm wondering if rather than doing that on a regular basis, if one could just do an initial pull of the data, then setup one or two queries that pull "new listings within the past week" and "updated listings within the last 7 days" then delete out the archived listings? I doubt that more than 500 listings are added or archived in a given week. My fear is that Archived listings won't be downloaded using the "updated in the last 7 day rule".

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may be a good idea.

You could expand on that by running a query consisting only of archived caches also.

Then delete out the archived caches.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that is ideally what I would like to do, but I don't see an option to get just Archived caches. Am I missing it? I suppose I could combine "Is Not Active" and "Updated in the last 7 Days" but I'd also like to reactive caches that have become active again after being disabled.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does GSAK allow you to set all inactive caches to active?

If so you could set all caches to active then import the inactive caches to reset all the inactive caches.

You will loose out on any older caches that have updated coords, recent logs, and changes to the pages.

I don't know if the benefits, of doing it this way, outweigh the costs?
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think there was any way to get archived caches from a pocket query. I just sort my caches by last GPX date in GSAK and then mark the old ones as archived.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so I have my semantics correct
Does archived = inactive?
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merkman wrote:
Just so I have my semantics correct
Does archived = inactive?

You're a little off here, merkman.

Inactive is a temporary state which may mean a cache is down for maintenance, is under repair, is unavailable at certain times of the year or is being checked on by the owner. An inactive cache maintains its right to is location.

An archived cache is one that is closed down for good, leaving that location -- and surrounding 1/10 mile -- available for another cache.

As for getting PQs of archived caches, the only way that can be done is through a My Finds PC, but that won't help for what sir zman is after.

I have PQs, based on cache placement date, running throughout the week to refresh my data for MN caches. Each of these PQs runs once a week, so at any time, all unarchived caches listed in GSAK have a Last PQ date within the last 7 days.

Run a filter in GSAK to find caches where the last GPX update was NOT WITHIN the last 7 days, and you'll have a list of archive caches. It's easy to make these caches as archived or to delete them if that's what you want to do. If you perform this chore regularly, it's quick and painless.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for straightening me out on this!!!
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to avoid getting all caches, I would ideally like to pull a smaller file, less load on GC's server, less on mine..I'm surprised they don't offer something like this already.
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
I'm trying to avoid getting all caches, I would ideally like to pull a smaller file, less load on GC's server, less on mine..I'm surprised they don't offer something like this already.

GC's system does not lend itself to getting this in formation in the form you want it. I suppose you could limit the information you get by defining a smaller geographic territory -- say within 50 miles of home. But even doing it this way requires you to get information on caches that have not changed.

I don't hold out any hope that GC is going to be flexible on this, so I'm guessing you'll have to adapt your strategy to theirs.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Pocket Query Question Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
We have discussed ways in which to pull the entire state of MN in a series of pocket queries, but I'm wondering if rather than doing that on a regular basis, if one could just do an initial pull of the data, then setup one or two queries that pull "new listings within the past week" and "updated listings within the last 7 days" then delete out the archived listings? I doubt that more than 500 listings are added or archived in a given week.

I just tried creating a PQ for Minnesota caches updated in the last 7 days and I got 500 matching records.
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Pocket Query Question Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
sir_zman wrote:
We have discussed ways in which to pull the entire state of MN in a series of pocket queries, but I'm wondering if rather than doing that on a regular basis, if one could just do an initial pull of the data, then setup one or two queries that pull "new listings within the past week" and "updated listings within the last 7 days" then delete out the archived listings? I doubt that more than 500 listings are added or archived in a given week.

I just tried creating a PQ for Minnesota caches updated in the last 7 days and I got 500 matching records.

Also, there's the question of what "updated" means. I recall dabbling with this a couple years back, and I found that "updated" seemed to mean that logs were added.

However, if a cache owner changed the cache description or added a hint, that would not be an "update" that would be caught by this filter.

I don't know if that behavior has since changed, but that's the way it worked back then, and I give up trying to work with the "updated in last 7 days" query.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Pocket Query Question Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:

I did too and got the same thing. But I'm looking at some of the caches returned and I'm wondering what "Updated in the last 7 days" means. It seems to be pulling caches that were found recently also. For example, I created one pocket query that pulls all multis "Updated in the last 7 days" and it returned 93 caches. I created another that pulls all multis "Found in the last 7 days" and it returned 56 cache. But many of them are the same. So I wonder if updated means updated or found.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Pocket Query Question Reply with quote

RubberToes wrote:
Also, there's the question of what "updated" means. I recall dabbling with this a couple years back, and I found that "updated" seemed to mean that logs were added.

However, if a cache owner changed the cache description or added a hint, that would not be an "update" that would be caught by this filter.

I don't know if that behavior has since changed, but that's the way it worked back then, and I give up trying to work with the "updated in last 7 days" query.

I have run a few tests and confirmed that "updated" means found and updated. I created a pocket query that returns "updated" caches and filtered it to only return my own caches and it returned one that was found recently but I know I haven't updated the cache page. I also updated a description for one of my caches that has not been found in the past 7 days and it was returned by the same pocket query.
So "Updated in the last 7 days" means updated and/or found and "Found in the last 7 days" means found.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groundspeak's reply?

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=162834&st=0&gopid=2855538&#entry2855538

I would have preferred a simple, "good idea" or "we'll look into that", then ignoring my idea. I guess if they don't want a smoothly running system, and timely PQs then they can do what ever they want...but one would think that they might be a bit nicer to the paying members and consider their ideas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: