MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great River Road
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Great River Road Reply with quote

I am in the process of planning a Great River Road trip in early to mid September. I thought this would be a much better alternative to the World or the Midwest Bash events this summer.

As of right now, it is myself and one other rider. A third rider will most likely be picked up in TN for the southern loop. I have room for up to two more or more if we add another vehicle.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bart, do you know how long will this trip take and about how much it will cost?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
Hey Bart, do you know how long will this trip take and about how much it will cost?

By my estimations, if all you do is focus on just the requirements for the Great River Road Challenge, turn around and come right home, it can be done in about 5 days if you hustle.

Not sure if you're just curious for your own trip or if you wanted to join my party. But if I go, the following statements hold true:

- I'll be doing it in 7 to 9 days.
- I'd like to spend a full day in New Orleans caching and eating.
- The first week of September is looking solid.
- I'll be focusing on KB's Great River Road Challenge and the one that will be put on by the Great River Road Parks Association. I also have word that two other cachers are setting GRR challenges in other states.
- I have not estimated cost but my lodging will be a combination of camping and Super8-like motels, probably 50-50. Food will be breakfast and lunch out of a cooler. Dinners split between cooler and restaurant.

I am also looking at Great Lakes tour. In reality, I'll only be able to do one trip. Original idea was GRR but the Great Lakes sure sound appealing (you'll need a passport).
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I am not sure yet what I am thinking. I know that I want to get the state park thing done this year so I can stay out of them. I was thinking that it would be a quick trip... but then I think that I am tired.
Kurt Franke
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bart,

I may be interested in this GRR trip. I have time off from work and own a cooler and a GPS. I am going to have to think this over. Will you be posting an application form on line?

Sound like fun.

Kurt
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt Franke wrote:
Bart,

I may be interested in this GRR trip. I have time off from work and own a cooler and a GPS. I am going to have to think this over. Will you be posting an application form on line?

Sound like fun.

Kurt

No, no application form. If you want to go, we'll have room even for you. We'll just refrain from talking politics Wink It looks like the trip, if it happens, will be in August and will not go into September.
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are passing through the Quad Cities before Sept 8th you can stop by the Putnam Museum to get the GPS Maze icon.

We are going down there for a caching weekend this summer and though we stop by and see what the GPS maze is all about.

-Jonas
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great River Road Geocaching Event 2009 has finally been announced. Information can be found at http://www.experiencemississippiriver.com/geocaching.2009contest.cfm this is not so much an event as it is a challenge. There is not one particular time and place to gather.

I originally mentioned I'd take the last week of July to do this. I got tired of waiting for the information to be posted then started planning BWCA run instead. Now that it is official, I am back to considering the Great River Road. Any riders interested? It'd be a 7 day road cruise.
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
If you want to go, we'll have room even for you. We'll just refrain from talking politics Wink

I like the sound of Kurt Franke's politics! Very Happy
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A proposed route is materializing..

Let's review the rules first:
- KB's challenge requires a cache in each of 10 states within 1 mile of GR8 River Road.
- The GR8 River Road Association challenge requires at least one cache in each state that just has to be in a bordering county along the river.

Based on that, I have determined that you can do nearly the entire trip by driving the interstate system, saving on time and fuel, and either getting home earlier or spending more time in New Orleans (I opt for New Orleans).

My proposed route assumes you're on your own for Minnesota and Wisconsin, of which you can easily do in Hastings and Prescott.
- I35 to Des Moines.
- I80 from Des Moines to Davenport and then to Moline.
(IA, IL, Adventure Maze icon)
- I74 out of Moline to Peoria and grab I-155 south Springfield to St. Louis.
(MO, archway)
- I-55 south out of St. Louis to Memphis.
(KY, AR, TN, home of Elvis)
- Continue I-55 south through Jackson all the way to New Orleans. Detour out of Memphis or Jackson to grab MS requirement.
(MS, LA, New Orleans)
- Spend time in New Orleans, including visiting are far as I can get to the river delta.
- Depending on time, visit Meridian, MS, Gulfport, MS and/or Mobile, AL.
- Return home.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there are any parties interested in joining the GR8 River Road tour the last week of July, let me know asap. I am going to finalize plans and route and wanted to make sure I can accomodate anyone who might want to come along.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck...it sounds like a fun trip!!!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump. This is the FINAL call. You WILL miss a great trip. Leave in a week and a half. If you want to go, PM me BEFORE this coming Friday. I have one extra spot.

Check out this FTF I am trying for.. The Guiding Light. I already have a boat chartered with an out just in case someone else scores it before I get there.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Bump. This is the FINAL call. You WILL miss a great trip. Leave in a week and a half. If you want to go, PM me BEFORE this coming Friday. I have one extra spot.

Check out this FTF I am trying for.. The Guiding Light. I already have a boat chartered with an out just in case someone else scores it before I get there.

I see that cache is still up for grabs!!! Hope it all works out for you...
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcherDragoon wrote:
bflentje wrote:

I see that cache is still up for grabs!!! Hope it all works out for you...

Thanks. And strictly cache speaking, it would be the second most expensive cache I've found if I go. I know the adventure has to be factored in, but..

My "current" second most expensive cache is Garden island last year. BY FAR the most expensive cache I've done is this year's Safari cache at Sakatah, where damage to my truck cost me $950 when I turned into a boulder near the camp ground driveway doing about 5MPH. Damn thing! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Why was that boulder there anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: