MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mapping Programs--LOS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 2:20 am    Post subject: Mapping Programs--LOS Reply with quote

Does anybody know of any mapping programs, available to the civilian population, with a Line-Of-Sight function? In the Guard, we use a computer system that among other things, has "operational graphics" (militarese for topographic maps with crap drawn on them), and on those maps, you can click on a spot or input some coordinates, and ask for a line-of-sight out to so many kilometers, and it'll draw a circle and show you ground that you'll be able to see from that spot and "dead-space" (militarese for what you won't be able to see).
SirPoonga
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. That is definately something the military would use. But I don't see too many civilian uses for something like that. I don;t know any software that does that.
SirPoonga
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have to mapping software that uses topgraphical maps. There isn't too many of those, at least other than showing pics. Most just show picks of the topographical layout. They don't have the actual altitude lines stored.
PeakShift
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a site with as many maps, mapping software & tool links I have ever seen. Give it a try, you might find what you need. I didnt have time to search for your specific need... sorry!

http://www.digitalgrove.net/Toolbox.htm
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15Tango,

I'm very familiar with the mapping systems you are talking about using in the military (I'm a retired Army Paratrooper).

Most of the civilian software applications out there that are either city or topo can not provide the capabilities you are asking for.

TopoUSA has a 3D feature.

But in order to do what you are talking about a DTED database is requried that provide you either your .2meter, 1.0 meter, 3.0 meter or 15 meter elevations for the entire map. This database is encoded for the map so that by picking a point you can determin the elevation. There there are some additional software algorithims that run to do comparisons for the specified direction, distance or sector to determine the LOS. Problem with even the military stuff is that vegatation is only taken into account for full green or winter. Neither provide the most accurate LOS for ground level. Most of the LOS programs are used for sighting weapons systems that fire upward. The engineers have some great stuff also.

If you really want to spend the money you will probably find something by searching for cartography and survey mapping tools.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: