MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

File Storage Sites

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blueirocguy
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: File Storage Sites Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with a quality file storage site that offers direct-link file access for free? I'm trying to set-up an audio puzzle and I'd like to have a place to stick the mp3 for simple and easy access when the link is clicked. I've tried a couple of sites, but haven't been impressed with the results so far (download file then can't get back to cache page, or too many ads). If anyone has any suggestions, they would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Blueirocguy
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: File Storage Sites Reply with quote

blueirocguy wrote:
Does anyone have experience with a quality file storage site that offers direct-link file access for free? I'm trying to set-up an audio puzzle and I'd like to have a place to stick the mp3 for simple and easy access when the link is clicked. I've tried a couple of sites, but haven't been impressed with the results so far (download file then can't get back to cache page, or too many ads). If anyone has any suggestions, they would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Blueirocguy

I would not let anyone host my data. Not that this data is all that particularly private or important. But you never know what they're doing with it. Check the recent news about FaceBook.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: File Storage Sites Reply with quote

Quote:

I would not let anyone host my data. Not that this data is all that particularly private or important. But you never know what they're doing with it. Check the recent news about FaceBook.

Bart (or anyone else for that matter) maybe you can help me with this that is along similar lines...

I have a home network drive that right now just has our mp3's on it so either the desktop or notebook can access our music libarary on iTunes without having to have the entire library on each machine. I was reading where you can use a network drive like that to essentially act as an FTP host. How would I go about setting something like that up? I've tried to google it with a little success. Basically I'm wanting to create a place that my sister who lives in Zurich could grab pictures and some American TV from me even though we're halfway around the world, nothing like creating some illegal MP3 swapping area or anything. I've read a little about FileZilla I think it is... but the part that seems to be hanging me up is figuring out how to tell my sister where to go once I get it up and running (ie an IP address or whatever) For what it is worth I have the network drive hard wired into a Linksys wireless router, which I use with my notebook and Tivo's.

Any idiot-proof advice is gladly welcomed! Thanks!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: File Storage Sites Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
Quote:

Bart (or anyone else for that matter) maybe you can help me with this that is along similar lines...

I have a home network drive that right now just has our mp3's on it so either the desktop or notebook can access our music libarary on iTunes without having to have the entire library on each machine. I was reading where you can use a network drive like that to essentially act as an FTP host. How would I go about setting something like that up? I've tried to google it with a little success. Basically I'm wanting to create a place that my sister who lives in Zurich could grab pictures and some American TV from me even though we're halfway around the world, nothing like creating some illegal MP3 swapping area or anything. I've read a little about FileZilla I think it is... but the part that seems to be hanging me up is figuring out how to tell my sister where to go once I get it up and running (ie an IP address or whatever) For what it is worth I have the network drive hard wired into a Linksys wireless router, which I use with my notebook and Tivo's.

Any idiot-proof advice is gladly welcomed! Thanks!

If it's a stand alone drive, it'll have to be mounted to some PC that runs FTP server software. I believe Windows 2003 Server has FTP server right out of the box. I am not sure about Windows XP. I would imagine there are many Windows, Linux and BSD based FREEWARE FTP server software packages available as freeware. Since I do hosting on the side, I actually use a commercial product from IpSwitch called WS_FTP Server which a great, but simple, product. You will also need a static IP from your ISP or you'll have to use DDNS, or some other tool that allows you to remotely access your device. And then there's your router/firewall that may need to be configured. There are a lot of things to worry about. But it isn't quite as difficult as how I can make it seem.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also want to check with your existing ISP. They may have storage space for web and ftp available to you without you even knowing it. Although, it probably isn't a lot of space.

Coming from someone who never advertises his business Wink , I do personal and small business hosting on the side. Although, I'd be very reluctant to host music or video in any form.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For drive spaces under 2 gigs, you can use getdropbox.com; I highly recommend it.
blueirocguy
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies and info. I checked my ISP and found they give you a gig of space for a web page or whatever. It's a learning curve as usual for me with it, but it looks like I will be able to set up file access on it.

Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: