MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quiz for Oregon Users...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Quiz for Oregon Users... Reply with quote

Here's one I've come across that I haven't been able to figure out yet...

On my Oregon I'll typically just run a PQ for an area I know I'm going to be in, like for an event or something. With there being a limit on the number of caches it can store and all.

So for example I went over to St Paul for an event, so I had a bunch in that area. A few weeks later I was going to an event up north, so while I was moving that PQ over I thought I'd delete the St Paul PQ since I didn't "need" it anymore. Fast forward a few days, I'm driving in St Paul and I can see little waypoints popping up on the map. They are old parking waypoints, trailhead waypoints, etc. that are what I believe are coming from the -wpts.gpx file that gc.com also sends you. The weird thing is I deleted that file, so my question is, A. Why are they sticking around? B. Aren't they using up valuable real estate (as far as the limit of waypoints you can have) and C. How can I get rid of them en mass without killing off waypoints I might want to save that aren't caching related? And along that thread, prevent it from happening in the future?

Thanks for any tips anyone might know of!
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked further into this and I have the 400T. I have not found a way without either deleting each waypoint individually or deleting all and then starting over. I would recommend saving your own GPX or LOC file and just delete the waypoints and then reload them via computer.

I know. Frustrating. I am hoping that MinnesotaBrad or someone else might have a better idea. That is what I have come up with in doing research.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own a 400T nor have I used one extensively. With that disclaimer, here is what I think is going on.

When you upload a GPX file to the unit, the first thing that the unit does is to parse all new .gpx files and turn them into waypoints. This includes gc.com's -wpts.gpx file, however the information in these files are not identified as caches. When you removed the twin cities GPX file it cleared out the caches only (as waypoints) and treats the other waypoints you have in the unit as hand-entered points simply because the unit isn't smart enough to realize that they're associated with the previous caches.

Clearing all waypoints (not just GPX files) on your unit and then uploading new GPX files should fix this.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my understanding as well and that I why I recommend that his own personal waypoints he could just save them as a GPX file so that he can reload them as his convenience. I have to say that this might be a bug that Garmin doesn't know about, or maybe they do and have decided either to fix it in the future or not to fix it.
firstbass
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Quiz for Oregon Users... Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
A. Why are they sticking around? B. Aren't they using up valuable real estate (as far as the limit of waypoints you can have) and C. How can I get rid of them en mass without killing off waypoints I might want to save that aren't caching related?

I had this problem and fixed it by following the directions in D10 of this FAQ:
http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Computer+Transfer

Basically, the waypoints don't get deleted until you empty your trash. When I replaced the .Trashes folder with a .Trashes file, my Mac now prompts me if I want to delete the .gpx files immediately.

I'll be interested to know if this was also your issue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that is awesome! I will have to look into that further. I have never seen this site. I have looked on the garmin forums and then also on the groundspeak forums and I think that I must have missed this site.

Thanks! Now only if they will add a build to allow for more caches.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: