MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cache Of The Month Nominees - February 2009

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Millah
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Cache Of The Month Nominees - February 2009 Reply with quote

The Cache of the Month nominees for February 2009 are:

GC1H32A: Halloween 2008 BONUS: Coughin Up A Lung by bflentje
nominated by Bunganator

I think it is about time that Bart's Halloween 2008 BONUS: Coughin Up A Lung (GC1H32A) is nominated for COTM. Actually, if I may, this series must be nominated as a whole. This series is more accessible for me than many other cachers, since I live in the south metro and the one cache that is not near the others is the closest to my house. Many cachers, however, have made the trek out to this series. Each and every cache in the series was out of the ordinary and required a lot of effort to make and place. I did this with my dad, brother, and we each brought along our non-caching ladies, and even they enjoyed them all. There is not much more to say because words really cannot do justice to this series as a whole.

seconded by Norvina

All logs have repeatedly mentioned this to be the best cache they have ever found and comment on the effort involved. I totally agree. It is part of the Halloween theme series, with much creativity and workmanship put into play, which makes this a perfect finale for the bonus. One is totally unprepared for this one!! Finding the other 12 to get the coordinates for this one is well worth the effort of any cacher! One only wonders how this can be outdone next year.

GC1JV10: TopGear's Evil Island by TopGear
Nominated by DonB!

Of all the caches placed in Minnesota (or at least the Metro area), none have drawn more people in such a quick time as this one. There were 19 DNFs before Grey Wolf finally made the FTF (and it was his 3rd time out there). This cache had 24 watchers watching it before it was even found. If you read the logs, no one was upset about not finding it, but instead took the challenge and continued the search later on. Many logs tell about "all of the great new friends we met while out here", and that is one of the main reasons I nominate this for cache of the month: it brought many cachers together, under one cause, and furthered the reason I like Geocaching. THIS IS A FRIENDLY SPORT. I have not found this one yet. TopGear stood there and watched me search, but he said, "No hints for YOU!"

seconded by fireman121

I would like to second "TopGear's Evil Island" ITS EVIL!!!!!!

GC1GM0E: How Low Can You Go by Jaklimber
nominated by mazzmn

Everyone has lows and highs in geocaching, Jaklimber has brought many highs to our caching crew with lots of creative hides. I'd like to nominate GC1GM0E - How Low Can You Go for COTM and encourage you all to hit it while it's still here. Note, as of this posting, this cache is on two bookmark lists, Favorite Caches and Cream of the Crop, so apparently others agree.

GC1A6QN: Come to the Holiday ball. by Jakerdad
nominated by Wylbur

"Come to the Holiday ball" is placed in a local environment in a very busy and well-traveled area that is accessible and challenging. The cache is well thought-out, and uses existing conditions to its advantage. The landscape also 'tricks' our caching senses, and sends us on the goose-chases of what we have found before. Some time and energy went into the crafting of the cache itself, and it shows in the execution.

To nominate an urban micro is a bold statement. The urban Twin City landscape is littered with countless small micro caches, many tucked in the nooks and creaks that catch the placerís fancy. This "micropia" makes us cynical of the micros, which have their place in the caching world. Cacher Jakerdad has created a little micro masterpiece here in Edina for us to find. After finding the cache I say - long live the Micro!

The vote will not start until February 20th to give everyone who wishes an opportunity to find the nominated caches. If you find or have found these and wish to comment on any of them, please post a reply in this thread.

Nominations for January COTM can be posted here.

To the membership: The Fun Side of Pfalstad was archived on 1/15/09 and therefore removed from the voting for February COTM. I want to thank andrewmcc and meralgia for their understanding in this process.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For ONE WEEK ONLY. I've turned on the Additional Waypoint to the final location of Halloween 2008: Coughin Up A Lung. If you have not found it yet, now's your chance without having to do the entire series.
ArcherDragoon
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
For ONE WEEK ONLY. I've turned on the Additional Waypoint to the final location of Halloween 2008: Coughin Up A Lung. If you have not found it yet, now's your chance without having to do the entire series.

Should that be considered as a bribe???
Wink Laughing Wink
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcherDragoon wrote:
bflentje wrote:

Should that be considered as a bribe???
Wink Laughing Wink

Not at all. The cache requires that you have the 12 codes. For those that want a fair look at my cache for voting, but don't have the time or ability, an opportunity has been provided. I figured the hardest core cachers have already found them all. So this opens it up to the noobs and those short on time, energy, and athletic ability. This is my stimulus package to the local caching community.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Win or lose, I HAD A BLAST putting 13 Halloween caches together.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: