MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many bugs hotels, motels, pitstops, port, etc....????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: How many bugs hotels, motels, pitstops, port, etc....???? Reply with quote

Do we really need???

....I have lost count

.....because of the rush in them I have changed the theme of my cache back to just YO YO YO....
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we could use a few more places to pi...

Oh, never mind.
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, any cache large enough to hold a bug is a bug hotel whether or not it's titled so or not. Most of the time I just go and find the caches in question just to log the cache.

If I have a bug to drop I usually hit the closest regular size cache near me or the next one I happen to find that day.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying they are all bad...but if you have too many it kinda defeats the purpose (right)?

In that case why even have one?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
I'm not saying they are all bad...but if you have too many it kinda defeats the purpose (right)?

In that case why even have one?

Even bugs need a place to sleep you know Wink

Silent Bob
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, around the airport there are so many. A week ago I wanted to put some travelers by the airport so they could hopefuly catch a plane, but, there are three bug motels that I could think of with out even looking at the web site, and I see some one else has just put another one there. If I were flying in or out, and had a short time to swap some bugs that want to travel. I imagine that things would be much easier if there were one place to go. Having so many tb motels reduces the chance they will picked up. Also, it's too easy for a bug to get stuck in a web of motels, just going round and round the metro, from motel to motel and never getting on with their journey. Of course there are good and kind folks who collect the bugs and make sure they get out of town. So I'm not anti tb motels, but I do think that perhaps some areas have past capacity needed.
Liverbird, WWPP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup yup yup --- I just had this same conversation with somebody else off forum.

I have considered closing the Bug Bank..... but, it is a great (and secure) location....
It doesn't attract any of the airport crowd, but it is a nice QUICK drop/swap spot for 35W, 10 and 694 commuters. Almost my perfect idea of a Bug Motel. I can't decide, maybe wait until spring to see what happens. Sad I am changing my geocaching focus soon anyway.

I am afraid the metro will turn into the same round and round Bug carousel they have in UT/WY. Used to be if I already had it, and CB-GPSERS already had it, it was fair game for anyone.... now we have at least nine other high interest bug grabbers in the area.

I still think the very best Bug spot we have ever had in the metro was the Nokomis Parkway cache. It was never listed as a Bug motel, but we sure used it like one. Easy on and off, close enough to the airport, wonderful hide. Cool Same with the K-9 cache.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gee.... who remembers way back when Travel Bugs were a rarity??
When I started "bug moving" (June/02), the TBugs had 103 to low 200 numbers -- just last week I found one that started with 453.... way too many Tbugs around now. Too many, too fast, too easy. It was a lot more fun for me when they were a rare item.

Back then Chris and I were competing for the (MAYBE) 2-3 scarce Tbugs that appeared every week. It was great fun! Sometimes we went weeks with no Tbugs at all in the metro. Now we all have a chance at over a dozen fresh Tbugs every week..... the challenge is gone. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centris wrote:
the challenge is gone. Crying or Very sad

I think the new challenge should be to see who can move them the furthest towards their goal. Bugs seem to get set down here and forever circle the Cities...

I wonder if bug owners "in the know" cringe when they see their TB came all the way to MN to forever travel the 494/694 loop Smile

Silent Bob
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
I wonder if bug owners "in the know" cringe when they see their TB came all the way to MN to forever travel the 494/694 loop Smile

It's not just MN metro -- there is a real problem in CA near the Bay area with that bunch, and the VERY worst bug carousel of all is in Utah Valley & SW Wyoming. That is the loop I cringe at! Sad They make us look like amateurs! I will never take Tbugs there with me again. (unless it is toward their goal)

I bet almost every state has an area that bugs get stuck in... this one just seems bad to us because we are smack in the middle of it.
Actually, most of my Tbugs have left the metro pretty quickly after they are seen by 4-5 people.
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

But on the bright side, we don't have the huge bug-napping problem that is so prevalent in Florida. Rolling Eyes I hold my breath every time a Tbug of mine goes down there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centris wrote:
I bet almost every state has an area that bugs get stuck in... this one just seems bad to us because we are smack in the middle of it. Actually, most of my Tbugs have left the metro pretty quickly after they are seen by 4-5 people. Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Yeah, as always, I'm wrong Smile Just ignore me like everyone else Wink

Quote:
But on the bright side, we don't have the huge bug-napping problem that is so prevalent in Florida. Rolling Eyes I hold my breath every time a Tbug of mine goes down there.

Recently I haven't noticed quite as much "grabbing" as I did this summer (the colder weather makes people lazy I think Wink) but I have noticed a lot more night caching... Perhaps that's the wave of the future!

Silent Bob
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
I have noticed a lot more night caching... Perhaps that's the wave of the future!

I LOVE night caching -- right now is perfect for it with the moon so full and the snow reflecting....

Maybe you could release a Tbug who had a goal of only being placed at night, like a vampire or something -- that would be a cool TBug
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centris wrote:
Maybe you could release a Tbug who had a goal of only being placed at night, like a vampire or something -- that would be a cool TBug

You could only allow this if it was placed in honor of CAG Smile

This email notification of posts is going to cause ridiculous amounts of board traffic Wink

Silent Bob
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately I've been placing caches at night. No one around to wonder what you're doing and all the time in the world without having to worry about the sun. Also, the deer make it pretty interesting. The flashlight makes their eyes glow like an irridescent (sp?) marble.

I've found at least a dozen caches at night and in the early morning before the sun has come up. It adds a whole new dimension to the sport that I really enjoy and it's great starting a day of caching with 4 already under your belt!

By the way Centris, what will your new geocaching focus be?
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main reason you seeing more night caches is the fact that its dark at 530pm.....vs. 9pm in the summer......

The main reason I like it though is for two reasons....
1) I have the time.
2) I like the extra challenge....something I can brag about (since I can't be FTF) thanks to (you know who).

3) I can have a beer afterwards and dwell on it. (oh - I said two reasons).
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centris wrote:
[can't let you southern folks have ALL the fun and action.

All the fun...heck its just two of us going to a bar once a week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: