MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vote for Cache of the Year - 2014
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which cache should be Cache of the Year for 2014?
GC3C6X7: stage two
1%
 1%  [ 3 ]
GC4VJKF: Intercache: Geo-Mob on Bald Eagle Lake (1058)
1%
 1%  [ 3 ]
GC46QQY: Journey of the Spirit
2%
 2%  [ 5 ]
GC30J8Y: Russ (Ole) Crawford Memorial Geo-Bench
8%
 8%  [ 14 ]
GC4TMWD: ALL SYSTEMS GO!!!
2%
 2%  [ 5 ]
GC4NAZH: Improbable Portal
1%
 1%  [ 3 ]
GC1GTEE: Quincy Fargnot: The Little Man
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
GC58VZ4: Fun With Numbers--Travel Bug Hotel
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
GC5BP1B: Boiling Springs
29%
 29%  [ 50 ]
GC50BKK: Zelda's Quarry (Intercache)
1%
 1%  [ 3 ]
GC5BD95: Minion Multi Cache
40%
 40%  [ 68 ]
GC52YN8: Sollerön Fäbod
4%
 4%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 167

Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Vote for Cache of the Year - 2014 Reply with quote

Well...just for fun...and bragging rights!!! Check back, I will update the post as needed...but this one is just for fun. Voting will take place until the end of January.

Good luck to all...have fun...and discuss!!!
-Self Promotion and Begging is Highly Encouraged...let's have some fun and end the year right!!!

Boreal Walker wrote:
Congratulations pfalstad!

The January 2014 Cache of the Month is GC3C6X7: stage two by pfalstad

Nominated By: butcherandswimmer
This is a fun cache that starts out in a public library and ends in a nice park with a short walk in the woods. We did it 3 days ago and were the first in the snow this year and found it with no problem. 2 out of 3 finders give it a favorite point and it has real nice write-ups on the cache page. The magic in the library is real neat and can be done by all. The perfect field puzzle for winter.

Boreal Walker wrote:
Congratulations Grey Wolf and Wild Rice!

The February 2014 Cache of the Month is GC4VJKF: Intercache: Geo-Mob on Bald Eagle Lake (1058)

Nominated By: PackaDad
I would like to nominate GC4VJKF Intercache: Geo-Mob on Bald Eagle Lake (1058) for cache of the month.
It is not so much a special cache, but the idea of getting a geo mob together (especially in the middle of winter, although I imagine the summer will be fun too) adds a twist to the geocaching experience. The planning and anticipation prior to getting together to find the cache as well as getting together for the geo mob itself were what makes this cache special, and it has already garnered a significant number of favorite points in the short time since it has been published.

Boreal Walker wrote:
Congratulations MN-treker!

The March 2014 Cache of the Month is GC46QQY: Journey of the Spirit

Nominated By: yellowdogs
We would like to nominate GC46QQY "Journey of the Spirit" by Mn-treker for cache of the month. This is a very well set up cache requiring you to find several caches along the Rum River either by canoe or walking on ice. It is obvious that the CO has spent a lot of time and effort in fabrication of the containers, their placement and the cache pages. We feel this series represents what geocaching is all about. It takes you on a journey along the beautiful Rum River during any season of the year.

Boreal Walker wrote:
Congratulations (and Lena)!

The April 2014 Cache of the Month is GC30J8Y: Russ (Ole) Crawford Memorial Geo-Bench
nominated by AerosmithPA

I would like to (re)-nominate a very meaningful cache, the Russ (Ole) Crawford Memorial Geo-Bench (GC30J8Y) by (and Lena) for Cache of the Month, April, 2014. This cache was nominated in November of 2011, and despite receiving an unheard of FORTY SIX votes, did not win.

Russ Crawford was a pioneer of geocaching in northeastern Minnesota. He also had a very unusual ability to make anyone he met on the trail feel as they were the most important person in the world at that time. Russ always had life adventure stories which were captivating and seemed bigger than life. And though he had a biography which was full of ability and achievement, Russ lived very humbly and preferred to simply be known in his retirement years as "Ole" to the many geocachers he touched.

We all lost Russ very unexpectedly on September 14, 2010. Soon after, his wife "Lena" asked a few of Russ' friends to help her find a location for a memorial bench to be placed in his honor. As discussions went on, the suggestion was made to make the bench an active geocache, and the Russ (Ole) Crawford Memorial Geo-Bench was soon born. I encourage all Minnesota geocachers to make summer plans to come to beautiful Itasca County to take this cache in. Until then, I encourage all to take the time to read the logs associated with this cache, where no one claimed a FTF, but there was an abundance of second to finders, and also enjoy the pictures which are linked to it.

Boreal Walker wrote:
Congratulations JAYMZ*BRONX

The May 2014 Cache of the Month is GC4TMWD: ALL SYSTEMS GO!!!
Nominated By: Ranger Rog

I would like to nominate GC4TMWD "ALL SYSTEMS GO!!!" by Jaymz*Bronx (http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4TMWD_all-systems-go) for cache of the month.

Each stage of this Multi is unique and well done. There are numerous twists to keep the Geocacher's interest peaked. Many of the stages appeared to take a fair amount of work to setup. There haven't been too many visitors yet but those that do will not be disappointed.

Boreal Walker wrote:
Congratulations mobilewatchdog

The June 2014 Cache of the Month is GC4NAZH: Improbable Portal
Nominated By: Rustynails

I would like to nominate Improbable Portal GC4NAZH for Cache of the Month. http://coord.info/GC4NAZH Bart nominated this one a few months ago. I was there recently with MMCC and it was a nice surprise. One of the things I like about caching is exploring interesting places. A very well done cache. And don't go by the d/t rating. I would say 2D - 3 1/2T. You might have to deal with a little water this time of year.

Boreal Walker wrote:
Congratulations Fargnot

The July 2014 Cache of the Month is GC1GTEE: Quincy Fargnot: The Little Man
nominated by TriggerMN

I nominate GC1GTEE, Quincy Fargnot: The Little Man, by Fargnot.

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC1GTEE_quincy-fargnot-the-little-man

Geotwink and I found this cache a couple of years ago over Labor Day weekend in Bemidji, and it was one of the highlights of our trip. Bring a heavy heart and a brave soul when hunting this one up. There are many Fargnot caches that are "outside the box" brainstorms of his, and this one is no different. As an added bonus, this cache qualifies as a cemetery cache for Boreal Walker's challenge of finding a cemetery cache in 50 different Minnesota counties. If you've found this cache, you understand why! Laughing

Boreal Walker wrote:
Congratulations cowboyborg

The August 2014 Cache of the Month is Fun With Numbers--Travel Bug Hotel
nominated by tonkaMN

I nominate Fun With Numbers--Travel Bug Hotel by Cowboyborg

Not an easy one, but if you do your homework and are thorough you should be able to get to the log book. It is well crafted and I really enjoyed it. This would be a great hide for a veteran cacher, but this cacher has only 3 hides. It is fun. Get out there and find it.

Boreal Walker wrote:
Congratulations Trailbuds

The September 2014 Cache of the Month is Boiling Springs
nominated by TheCachin8tor

I would like to nominate GC5BP1B: Boiling Springs for September's COTM. Boiling Springs is a new Earthcache that published in late August. I've done only a handful of Earthcaches in my geocaching experience and have never found many of them very noteworthy until I came across this one.

Tucked away in a patch of non-descript woods in Savage is a true oddity of nature!

The cache is able to be visited year round because the water is always warm. The streams and pond are also home to some rare brown trout. I think Trailbuds really hit one out of the park by sharing this new EC with us. It's casual, straightforward, and family-friendly with only a short walk from a convenient parking area.

I encourage everyone to come check it out if they have a chance. It's a great natural phenomenon to come witness! Very Happy

Boreal Walker wrote:
Congratulations salsman!

The October 2014 Cache of the Month is Zelda's Quarry (Intercache)
nominated by Boreal Walker

I would like to nominate Zelda's Quarry (Intercache). This is a very well thought out and designed intercache. The CO went to a lot of trouble to design the cartridge and the container. It is in a nice park in the middle of Rochester that allows you to hike a good portion of the trails. He took the time to integrate the natural surrounds and structures found in the park and use these in the story told through the intercache. So far it is batting 1000 with favorite points. I would highly recommend doing this cache if you are in town.

mabutter: The mind is a terrible thing to waste... Salsman is not wasting his! I enjoyed this very clever and creative cache.

GC_bobf: This cache was EPIC!

rahnster: I cannot believe how much work must have gone into making this geocache. Thank you so much for such a unique hide! TFTC!

kkmk: This was absolutely everything it was advertized to be. We sure spent a lot of time on this cache; a lot of walking, and a lot of fun playing the game. How ingenious! The technology is amazing, but so is people's creativity. This particular game was nicely constructed to work with Quarry Hill's features. It must have taken a lot of time and effort to put this together, and we appreciate it very much. A favorite for sure.

Briarwoodhill Clan: Great adventure and a thousand times better with a merry band!

map42: And yeah about that final. See the attached image. 'Nuff said about that.

mnboyscout: This cache is my 650th find and a favorite!!

TriggerMN: Somewhere, Jeremin the wizard is nodding his approval. That which was conquered cannot be erased; the memories will remain. However, the quest may begin again for the next willing participants.

gurojo: I can't comprehend how this was put together and how much time and effort it took, all of which is greatly appreciated. This is a favorite for sure. Thanks for something totally different and totally fun.

jaklimber: I can't say enough good things about this type of cache. It's a great twist on geocaching, game-playing and just plain outdoor fun. Thanks for your hard work getting this together. I see this being a long time classic. I have a feeling I'll be doing the whole thing again with G-Nat!

wcs24fan: W. O. W! This was EPIC! Geocache of the Month winner for sure. This will challenge you. Mentally. Physically. Emotionally. You will battle the elements. You will battle technology. You will battle...Salsman! You want to find the cache, don't you!? Defeat all that Salsman throws at you to find that final and win a smiley!

Boreal Walker wrote:
Congratulations DANANDTINA05

The November 2014 Cache of the Month is Minion Multi Cache
nominated by Geary&Co.

I would like to nominate Minion Multi, GC5BD95, by DanandTina05. This multi cache utilizes many field puzzles, different containers, different sized containers, placement options and makes full use of Gervais Mill Park in Little Canada. Start to finish it is a 1-2 hour experience that will test the most seasoned geocacher.

Boreal Walker wrote:
Congratulations Bookiegeek

The December 2014 Cache of the Month is Sollerön Fäbod
nominated by rustynails

I'd like to nominate a Bookiegeek cache Sollerön Fäbod http://coord.info/GC52YN8 .

A very well done and creative hide with a 75% favorite count. It's so well made it's magical. A must do cache for anyone.

Last edited by Boreal Walker on Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:12 am; edited 3 times in total
Tropicalloon
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the December 2014 COTM going to be added to the 2014 poll for COTY?
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tropicalloon wrote:
Is the December 2014 COTM going to be added to the 2014 poll for COTY?

Fixed it. Sorry about the delay.
Tropicalloon
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible to post something about this on the MnGCA main page? Not sure if a lot of members have seen it.

Thanks!

Tropicalloon (aka Marie)
georondi
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GC5BP1B: Boiling Springs. I cast my vote for this earth cache. Many years ago Scott County used to hold a local farm tour, and this site was one of the destinations. I thought it was awesome then, and it is still awesome. No better way to keep the exposure to this oddity of nature than making it into an earth cache. Apparently local Indians consider this a sacred place . . . and no wonder!
mikedeotis
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Cache of the year Reply with quote

My vote is for Boiling springs. This earthcache is something special that will, hopefully draw more people to take a taste of Geocaching. Mike
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2014 Cache of the Year is Boiling Springs

I would like to nominate GC5BP1B: Boiling Springs for September's COTM. Boiling Springs is a new Earthcache that published in late August. I've done only a handful of Earthcaches in my geocaching experience and have never found many of them very noteworthy until I came across this one.

Tucked away in a patch of non-descript woods in Savage is a true oddity of nature!

The cache is able to be visited year round because the water is always warm. The streams and pond are also home to some rare brown trout. I think Trailbuds really hit one out of the park by sharing this new EC with us. It's casual, straightforward, and family-friendly with only a short walk from a convenient parking area.

I encourage everyone to come check it out if they have a chance. It's a great natural phenomenon to come witness! Very Happy

Any other words of Congratulations are welcome in this thread.
BigChiefS4
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boreal Walker wrote:

The 2014 Cache of the Year is Boiling Springs

Any other words of Congratulations are welcome in this thread.

BIG congratulations to Trailbuds for a very well done Earthcache! It's not very often I can amaze my daughter like I did when I brought her here.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Trailbuds on Boiling Springs. It a great earth cache and got my vote. Very Happy

I'm confused. The above voting shows another cache with more votes. What's going on wit that ?
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
I'm confused. The above voting shows another cache with more votes. What's going on wit that ?

Please review the CotM Guidelines thread for further clarification.
Geary&Co.
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Confused as well. Reply with quote

Not because I initially nominated Minion Multi, but because I looked on the guidelines and didn't see why the cache with the most votes wasn't chosen for COTY. Just curious. Sounds like I need to take the family to Boiling Springs!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very last post in the forum thread that Peter mentioned should give you some idea as to what happened.

http://mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4356&start=15
Geary&Co.
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Clarification Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying. I hope the offender's side of the story was investigated and listened to. Peace and cache on!
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an awful lot of "new" members last month. I wonder if those socks had anything to do with it...
Trailbuds
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big thank you to everyone that voted for Boiling Springs Earth Cache for MnGCA Cache of the Year and thanks to all our fellow Geocachers, families and friends that visited the site and helped spread the word to others as to how amazing this environmental phenomenon really is. We hope the honor of being Cache of the Year will encourage many more people to visit the site and experience Boiling Springs for themselves.

We posted this Earth Cache to share this really neat spot with as many people as might be interested in checking it out, but also to point out how human development has encroached on this natural environment, as it has on so many other special location, and without appropriate protections, this site would be nothing more than a few families private backyards. There are many great Earth Caches out there with similar messages, so get out and visit these sites too before they vanish.

It’s always fun to experience a natural phenomenon and for those that have visited Boiling Springs you know how unique this one really is. For so many people that took photos at the site, many captured another strange phenomenon… Blurp, the Monster of Boiling Springs. There was a sighting just a few days ago of Blurp… Leopold22 caught him on video and Hockabee had a glimpse of him too. Or is Blurp a she? My favorite photo of Blurp was taken by KAYMZ*BROX which I posted on the cache page… check it out… you can see Blurp's eyes!

Thanks again and happy trails,
Trailbuds
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: