MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Superior Hiking trail guidelines

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Superior Hiking trail guidelines Reply with quote

I don't know if this has already been discussed, but I came upon this while perusing their website:

Geo Caching Policy
Geocaching Policy: The Superior Hiking Trail Association does not have the authority to grant permission for geocaching or similar placement of items on the trail. Anyone wishing to place such items must have the advance, written permission of the landowner involved and follow any guidelines or requirements established by the landowner. In addition, any geocache must be registered with, and follow the guidelines established by, www.geocaching.com. On any parcel of land actually owned by SHTA, any geocache must follow the requirements set by the Minnesota DNR for geocaching in State Parks.
northtrekker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.. any cache along the Superior Hiking Trail should be registered with the DNR. Hmmmm ... that's too bad... seems a smidge controlling...
Rolling Eyes There sure are some fantastic caches along the trail. Then again, none of them are "on" the trail....

~nt
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they're saying that they want it to follow the same requirements as the DNR, but not registered with the DNR.

The funny thing about the policy is that they start off by acknowledging that they don't have any authority over the land that the trail is on (because they don't, they likely just have an easement for a foot path), but then they proceed to outline the requirements for cache placement.

For example, if the trail traverses county land and the county doesn't require a written policy, then one isn't required. IMHO, the SHT doesn't have the authority to implement a more restrictive policy just because you're accessing the land via their trail.

The policies of the land owner apply, not the SHT. My opinion anyway.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% with Pear Head. It comes down to following geocaching.com's guidelines. The SHT doesn't have jurisdiction over what is not theirs.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:
I agree 100% with Pear Head. It comes down to following geocaching.com's guidelines. The SHT doesn't have jurisdiction over what is not theirs.

While I agree, following geocaching.com is not a perfect correlation of what the "policy would be" if it were legit. For instance, there is a minimum size requirement, isn't there? I think it has to be pint or quart sized or bigger, but it can't be too big.
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to send off the following a suggested policy revision to the SHTA, with a friendly note as to why, but then thought this might be better coming from the MGCA board, since I am just a lone voice in the wilderness (or in the shrubbery, or, on rare occassion, the back corner of a Target parking lot).

Is the Board interested in taking this up?

Geocaching Policy: The Superior Hiking Trail Association does not have the authority to grant permission for geocaching or similar placement of items on the trail. Anyone wishing to place such items must follow any guidelines or requirements established by the landowner. In addition, any geocache must be registered with, and follow the guidelines established by, www.geocaching.com. On any parcel of land actually owned by SHTA, any geocache must follow the requirements set by the Minnesota DNR for geocaching in State Parks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: